Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Speaking of a pinch of salt...

Did anyone else see the ridiculous article about Tyson supposedly making a comeback to fight Wladamir Klitschko that was doing the rounds on facebook. People actually think its gonna happen, and that it would be competetive.

Whats wrong with people?

Christ, I can see it now...

hqdefault.jpg

What the hell's the matter with you guys?!? It's supposed to be an exhibition!! You understand?!? An exhibition!!!

• Paid Members

Dan Rafael on Ringside said the insider word in America is that Mayweather's leaning towards a second fight with Miguel Cotto. Tris Dixon then added that whilst that's a sellable fight (rematch of a good fight, Cotto holds a World Title at Middleweight), Mayweather will also fancy ballsing up the idea of doing the Canelo/Cotto fight.

Dan Rafael on Ringside said the insider word in America is that Mayweather's leaning towards a second fight with Miguel Cotto. Tris Dixon then added that whilst that's a sellable fight (rematch of a good fight, Cotto holds a World Title at Middleweight), Mayweather will also fancy ballsing up the idea of doing the Canelo/Cotto fight.

Yeah, reality is would anyone be surprised if it's Mayweather vs Cotto next? Talked about this in the past, Mayweather can win the 160lbs Middleweight title for the first time in his career against a guy who won the title weighing 155lbs, but a guy Mayweather beat when he weighed 154lbs. It's something that whenever anyone talks about how close the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight is forgets that Canelo vs Cotto is not signed yet. I won't believe we see May vs Pac until I see them face to face announcing it.

• Paid Members

Paulie Malignaggi says 'his source' is saying Mayweather vs Pacquiao is pretty much a done deal, and he also breaks down the potential fight;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=ok_f-95zf3I

I've got to admit, I've always thought Mayweather wins comfy as well. I want to see this hugely anticipated fight deliver an epic battle but I've always thought Floyd takes him to school. I'd be rooting for Pacquiao but I can see it being a miserable 12 rounds for him. The millions in his bank account afterwards should mop up the tears though.

I reckon we will see Floyd vs Cotto 2 as well though. It'll be another big fight, they can play off Cotto doing better than expected last time and Cotto has a strong fan base so he won't be just an 'opponent', he'll bring the Puerto Rican buys in. And on top of all that, Floyd gets to bag another title. It's only going to strengthen his legacy and fatten his already ridiculous bank balance even more. No brainer if you're Floyd or his team.

Wilder proved he can box and use his reach/jab well, but I am not sold on him. I think he beats most Heavyweight contenders, but I don't see him as a massive threat to Wlad. I think he would end up like Pulev.

When Stiverne worked the body, he had a lot of success. If Stiverne had fought a bit better tactically, it could have been close.  I had it around 116-112 to Wilder, whilst the judges had it wider.

It was a fun fight for the first 8 rounds or so, but slowed down towards the end. 

• Paid Members

It didn't end up being the kind of barn burner that really sold Heavyweight boxing back to the public and i don't thnk anyone predicted how it would play out but the division now has it's most marketable stateside champion in years.

The fight reminded me of the recent Fury/Chisora fight in how it played out. Stiverne clearly came out with the idea of withstanding a few Wilder barrages then landing with a counter or simply hurting WIlder with a wild hook. Like Chisora, Stiverne's willingness to eat jabs was his undoing, it's probably ok for a few rounds but it slowly demoralised and beat the fight out of him. It was a frustrating performance because the commentary were continuously pointing out what Stiverne was doing wrong and his corner was even telling him but he just couldn't get out of the rut. The guy has some chin though.

Anyone catch the opener on the card? Amir Aman/Fidel Maldonado Jr. i won't say anything if you didn't see it but it's worth tracking down...

What a non-event Rios/Alvarado III was. Alvarado was a punching bag and didn't prepare at all for the fight. He was bleeding after one round, Rios could stand in front of him and throw at will. At the end of the third round his trainer said he would pull him after this round because Alvarado said he couldn't see. The doctor held two fingers up and Alvarado said he could see four so they stopped the fight. In the post fight interview the hometown crowd were booing Alvarado and then he said he didn't continue because he didn't want to risk his eyesight for future fights. There's no need to worry about future fights because he peaked at the Provodnikov fight & quitting on your stool does not adhere you to fight fans. Big money fights are over for him. Both of them looked blown up, after making welterweight they ballooned up to middleweight for the fight.

Complete waste of time off a third fight. I question whether Alvarado couldn't see or not, his corner wanted him to continue, you could see he didn't want to and saying 4 when the doctor put up 2 fingers was the best way to get out the fight. His attitude at end of the fight said it all, he wasn't bothered, never trained properly, the fans can say what they want, but he will be back, he has quit twice now in front of his home fans, as Rossman said, the big money fights are done for him. Rios done what he had to do, I thought he looked good but based on what was in front of him there really wasn't anyway he could look anything less. It looks like Mathysee vs Provodnikov is done for March 28th, the winner of that against Rios would be a fun fight, he mentioned fighting Oritz too, again something that on paper looks like it will be exciting for however long it lasts.

• Paid Members

Both of them looked blown up

You think? Rios was in beast mode last night, i didn't see him slowing down after 3 rounds.

As for Alvarado, it was just a weird night. He might not have come in prepared and maybe Rios knew that going in because he set out to break Alvarado from the opening bell, which he did and he deserves credit for that. The post fight interview was just strange though, for a guy with a bit of a blood & guts reputation to admit he didn't prepare and pulled himself out to preserve his health was strange, i think the boo'ing crowd may have caused him to say what he did but if there's ever been a performance/interview to make a hometown turn against you, this was it.

Both of them looked blown up

You think? Rios was in beast mode last night, i didn't see him slowing down after 3 rounds.

I meant in weight. They had both put on a stone over night. Neither of them looked in good shape.

Alvarado's supposed to have a lot of issues with drug abuse and being involved with the wrong people. The story he spun to Jim Lampley about his arrest prior to the fight was a load of shit. He gets up at 4am and is thirsty, so he gets his mate to drive him to the shop to buy a drink, they get pulled over and there's a gun in the glovebox.

There's a video of Alvarado shadow-boxing a week before the fight. He's either got brain damage or he's high because you don't throw punches like that. And he says he's tired a minute into it. I wish I had seen this days ago, that's easy money on a Rios win.

• Paid Members

Yeh i wasnt buying Alvarado's story either, guys clearly mixing with the wrong crowd.

As for Rios, i thought he looked in great shape, hes never ripped but he had no issue with the scales and for 3 rounds at high altitude he was motoring. Like i mentioned previously he was fighting like he knew Alvarado was gonna break early, he had to have known something was up.

Wilder proved he can box and use his reach/jab well, but I am not sold on him. I think he beats most Heavyweight contenders, but I don't see him as a massive threat to Wlad. I think he would end up like Pulev.

Stiverne looked like the kind of chump that Wlad fucks about with for four or five rounds before dropping multiple times in one round en route to a stoppage.

That was the first time I'd really paid attention to Wilder, and I don't see him having much of a chance against Wlad. At all.