Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Ha, Teddy's nuts. I love the way you see the anger building in that second video as he speaks - "I'd get the hell out of it...I'd get THE HELL OUT OF IT!"

He's going to actually explode one day. There'll just be Todd Grisham sat there looking at a headset, a suit and a load of steam where Teddy used to be.

He's going to actually explode one day. There'll just be Todd Grisham sat there looking at a headset, a suit and a load of steam where Teddy used to be.

Teddy loses it often, but it seems like every 10 years a judges verdict raises his ire .

Here is Teddy losing it in 2004. Maybe he will turn to steam in 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9zrW7Ime18

• Paid Members

Love Teddy. 

Two cards tonight.

Showtime/Sky Sports

Khan VS Alexandra 
Thurman VS Bundu

With a Charlo brother and Mares also appearing in what looks like meaningless fights.

Over on HBO/Boxnation

Bradley VS Chaves
Korobov VS Andy Lee - Vacant Middleweight Title

Hoping Khan and Lee both do this business. Seems Khan is a wide favorite which really shocks me. Alexandra is a tricky customer and decent pure boxer. Him getting ragged about by Shawn Porter might have put people off but this is a real 50/50 for me.  

• Paid Members

And in 1994 he nearly had a breakdown in the corner and went berserk at Michael Moorer in the Holyfield fight.

Later in 1994;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=_VxSo0pj_jg

If he'd tried that shit with 70s George Foreman instead of 90s Jolly George, we'd probably be putting RIP after Teddy's name these days.

Something about those years that end in 4, it seems.

Ha ha. Teddy's breakdown during the Moorer fight is legendary. It worked though. 

Teddy also intended to murder one of his ex-pupils. - http://www.boxingforum24.com/showthread.php?t=267825

He has also been suspended by ESPN more than once for kicking off on people. I swear there was a video a few years back of him kicking off at a dinner party, which is hilarious, as if you play Fight Night:Round 4 on the PS3, part of the commentary is Teddy discussing how much fun he has at charity dinners.

• Paid Members

Atlas' book is worth a read.

He's had an eventful life. He grew up mixing with mobsters (most notably, Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano who later turned informant and went into witness protection), he was always in and out of fights, got his face slashed to fuck in a street fight when he was younger (you can still see the big scar now) where he describes a huge flap of skin hanging off his face. Then there's the story that his brother murdered their nan, seriously.

The stuff on early Tyson and the whole set-up in Catskill is fascinating as well because Teddy was there with Cus before Tyson so was able to see how Cus really treated Tyson differently to everyone else and saw him as his golden ticket.

The stuff about wanting to shoot Donnie Lalonde is all in there. Atlas was training him but they fell out and parted ways. Atlas would've made hundreds of thousands for Lalonde's fight with Leonard and he was fuming how it all went down. He said he actually took a gun with him and waited outside Lalonde's place all day for him to come home but he bottled it at the last minute.

He tells a story of him and Shannon Briggs getting into a fight with bikers as well but I can't remember the details.

Basically, he's a bit mental.

• Paid Members

Like all Teddy's relationships with fighters though, it didn't end well with Briggs either.

Briggs calls Atlas “the ultimate control freak,” and describes some of the very eccentric behavior that the trainer would engage in. “One of the craziest things he ever said to me was, ‘When you’re in the ring, you’re the body and I’m the mind’” says Briggs.

“I’m just the body and he’s the mind? What’s that about?”

Briggs goes on to describe how he was a young and naive fighter when he first hooked up with Teddy Atlas, and says Atlas became a father figure to him (Briggs’s real father was serving a life sentence, and his mother was strung out on drugs). According to Briggs, Atlas was fond of using invasive psychological techniques to try and gain control over his pugilistic pupil.

Atlas, says Briggs, was a fierce disciplinarian who would call him up at odd hours, sometimes in the middle of the night, and tell him to be at the gym the next day at a certain hour, only to arrive himself much later. Atlas would then deny the phone conversation, and cause a long argument, only to later admit, “I was testing you. I was testing you to see if you would break under pressure.”

Briggs also contends that Atlas at one time held undue influence over the boxing press, who often kowtowed to what Teddy wanted to see in print.

“You have to understand, he had a lot of influence over the writers, a lot of the journalists were scared of him,” Briggs writes. “When I was with Teddy, you wouldn’t hear anything bad about Shannon Briggs, I was God, I was the future heavyweight champion of the world. The day after Teddy and I split, every writer wrote that I was the worst fighter to ever walk on the planet.”

Finally, in a story very similar to what has been heard from others– like American heavyweight Michael Grant–who have worked with Atlas, Briggs says that he was left with serious emotional scars from his relationship with the trainer.

When Briggs lost for the first time, Atlas “went on national TV and gave me a hard time,” Briggs recounts.

“I was hurt because at that point, despite everything that I thought he was doing wrong, he was my father figure. He hurt me and I’ve told him that. It took me a long time to recover mentally from all the things that he said and did. I felt anger because I had dedicated four years to him and I felt like I had been betrayed.”

Atlas knows a ton about boxing, no doubt. But he seems like the type of bloke who could get into an argument in an empty room.

Probably why he never really had a big success after Moorer (did he, I forget?). And even that was fleeting.

What time is the Khan vs Alexander fight tonight?

• Paid Members

Bit behind but ive only just seen it. Last weekend's Lightweight Prizefighter was a doozy, probably the best instalment yet, top to bottom it was good stuff.

If you get chance, check it out.

...Khan made a bit of a mug of Devon Alexander last night. It was a bit of a masterclass really, outside of a few hooks Alexander looked lost and wasn't really in the fight. Khan's handspeed as always was staggering and considering this was a legit world class fighter in there with him, Khan cruised it.

It still blows my mind that the average joe thinks Amir Khan sucks, all week in work i've seen people read the Khan stuff in the papers (which focussed on Khan fighting Mayweather) and everyone seems to be under the impression that it's a mismatch and that Khan will get destroyed. It's all a bit weird and very ignorant.

Mayweather has to fight Khan or Pacquiao next.

If he takes the Pacquiao route, i'll be happy with Khan/Brook over here.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Ant Crolla World title shot in January is off after being hospitalized with head injury's and a broken ankle after he confronted buglers in his house. 

Must be devastating. 

Edited by Fox Piss