Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

An old debate but I'll throw it out there as I'm watching the fight again now.

Leonard vs Hagler - who won? Well I know who won. Did you agree with the decision?

If you've got nothing better to do on Monday afternoon...

The full fight;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=JuJCFXB1YxI

Legendary Nights documentary on the fight;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=iZI-OOox3oA

I think I read this in the Four Kings book but I found it interesting. Apparently Leonard was getting everything his own way in the negotiations for this fight. The type of gloves, the size of the ring, it was 12 rounds (Hagler wanted 15). The one condition the Hagler camp insisted on was that the British judge for the fight be replaced, as Hagler still had a sour taste from his treatment in England after he beat Alan Minter. So they replaced Gibbs with a Mexican judge.

It backfired. Leonard won a split decision. And the Mexican judge was shit. He scored the razor close fight 118-110 for Leonard. Which is a mental scorecard. Gibbs, the original judge watching at home, was later asked how he scored the fight and he said he had Hagler winning.

So if Hagler's camp had left the judges alone and kept Gibbs, Hagler would've won the split decision. That must've haunted him over the years.

Old Hagler quote on the Leonard fight, the decision and trying to get a rematch;

"I had to lure this guy into the ring. He felt as though he was the best fighter in the world and I knew that I was the much better man. Every fight that I fought on HBO, he was always there. And he felt as though he'd seen something, felt as though I was getting older, felt that I was slowing down. And he watches the John Mugabe fight, that's what really lured him in. So the best thing that happened is that the fight went that way, so that he picked up his courage.

The whole world knows the real truth. And I wait for the day that Leonard finally speaks out. Because after the fight was over Leonard had totally collapsed. And they don't show that on television, because they gave him the victory. I believe the reason to was because they really wanted me out of this game, because I was dominating the division. And I believe they wanted to split the titles up. I still feel as though I won the fight, I feel it in my heart. I got over that within about two weeks and I was able to focus on other things in life.

I wanted fifteen rounds. I always said that fifteen is better for fighters because he's better conditioned. As a main event you know you must fight ten rounds. And if you can push yourself for two more rounds, it's something. But when you push yourself for fifteen rounds it separates the men from the boys.

We asked for the rematch. Within six months we wanted a rematch. And we heard no answer, no whatever. So I decided to start thinking about retirement. It was one of the hardest decisions I ever made in my life. Really, when I said goodbye to the world of boxing it put a tear in my eye because this is something that I love very much, that I enjoy doing. It was my love."

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Well fuck me, after all the talk it's finally happening.

Billy Joe Saunders vs Chris Eubank Jr is on. And it's on the Fury vs Chisora 2 bill on November 29th! Sign me up for that shit. Think I'm going to have to get BoxNation back on. And I hate giving Allegedly Warren money.

• Paid Members

fucking hell, that came out of nowere. I know there's talk of it but i didnt think there was any chance of it happening. Latest talk that Saunders was getting a crack at a vacant world title.

That's an insane step up in class for Eubank though, he claims hes good enough so fuck it!

and yes, ill be bringing back Boxnation as well that night.

ill get on that Leonard/Hagler fight in abit.

• Paid Members

doesnt really make sense for Eddie to do it on the same night, i mean their promotional rivals but boxing fans are boxing fans at the end of the day and to make them choose between those two shows is counter productive in my opinion.

• Paid Members

couple of things have been hammered home to me in the past couple of days reminding of how dangerous the sport of boxing is, British boxer Jerome Wilson was KO'd and suffered a severe head injury on a small show on Friday night :( He's stable but it's still a very serious injury.

Then news came out that Magomed Abdusalamov has finally been allowed home 10 months after suffering severe brain injuries in a brutal fight with Mike Perez. A picture has been released and to see the guy as a shell of his former self is just heartbreaking.

box_r_abdusalamov_mb_600x400.jpg

what a cruel, dangerous sport.

• Paid Members

Curtis Woodhouse tweeted that Jerome Wilson is making progress and his "90% breathing on his own and has started coughing". Great news.

And I just read that Bob Arum's trying to set up Rios vs Alvarado 3 for January. I'm well up for that!

Watched Hagler v Leonard again the other night and had Hagler up by 1 point. I remember reading in Leonard's book that he tried to get to the middle of the ring before Hagler at the start of each round to mark his territory. Mayweather was doing that to Maidana as well the other night. Leonard was a bit of a dick prior to the Hagler fight. He got someone from his camp to get a disguise and spy on Hagler during training. To prove he was there and to get paid, he got a photo with Hagler in the gym. I think by the middle rounds, Leonard had punched himself out and there was little sting on his shots. He was a beefed up welterweight so it wasn't like they were hard punches to begin with. Hagler was as forceful as ever but his reflexes were gone and he was missing some shots by miles. Leonard didn't do near enough to "beat the champ" with all the running. And I think getting all the belts and then vacating them, hurt the prestige of the titles especially as Hagler had defended them all for years.

I have seen that Mayweather might be fighting Amir Khan next.

I haven't see many of Khans recent fights, but does Khan really have any chance of beating Mayweather?

Khan has looked excellent in his last few fights, whether he can beat mayweather is another question though Edited by bono

I have seen that Mayweather might be fighting Amir Khan next.

I haven't see many of Khans recent fights, but does Khan really have any chance of beating Mayweather?

Most will say no

I say yes.

Khan presents a fresh challenge for Floyd with his speed. Plus Floyd is not known for his knockout power, which helps Khan with his fragile chin. If Khan fights to the best of his ability for 12 rounds, he might just sneak it on points.

• Paid Members

the longer the fight takes to get made the more it favours Khan surely? Mayweather has two fights left and outside of Pacquiao the only one anyone's really talking about right now is Khan...obviously there's other names but Khan appears to be the one everyone wants to see.

Khan doesn't have the boxing brain to hang with Mayweather. He can throw 100 pillow punches a minute but it only takes 1 solid shot to disturb his rhythm. He scraped through against Julio Diaz and easily beat a past it, Luis Collazo who was dining out on a win over a part retired Victor Ortiz. I would much rather see Mayweather fight a proper welterweight in Keith Thurman.