Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Mayweather vs Maidana 2 is two days away then. Surprisingly little discussion in here.

My boxing viewing has fallen off a bit since Froch vs Groves 2. I've been watching stuff but I'm getting to it so late that there's no point posting about it in here because the discussion has moved on.

I'm definitely staying up live for this though.

Maidana-Selfie.jpg

Fuck Bigfoot vs Arlovski 2, Saturday night is all about these two. How's everyone see it going? It's hard to pick against Floyd so I'll go with the trusty old 'Mayweather by decision'. But at the same time, I'm not really in the camp who says 'Floyd will win much more comfortably this time.' I just don't really see how he does. It's not like Maidana's tactics last time were a surprise. Everyone knew the type of fight he'd bring. And Mayweather still had trouble with it. So I'm not really sure he can make it a much easier fight this time. I think he'll win again, but I think it's going to be another tough shift.

Anyone know what this is about?;

Steve Bunce @bigdaddybunce

People in Las Vegas are starting to think that there is something not quite right with Mayweather - read today's Independent for an insight.

Fuck, I am out of touch

I thought it was next weekend. An all night session for me then. I got Floyd by a wide points margin. I think the referee will be a bit sterner this time out, and the chance for M.M to rough Floyd up will be limited.

EDIT: Wand, according to what I can find, people think Floyd looks worn out and over-trained.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

ive got 5 days off work starting Saturday so im gonna be digesting all this weekends fights come Sunday.

Theres a good Matchroom bill on Saturday night as well too, add in like 4-5 MMA shows i wanna check out.

...i will be lounging!

• Paid Members

pretty much every view ive read based on this weekend's fight seems to fall into the Mayweather wins another decision but in a much more comfortable manner. I tend to agree but it's surely going to be a very similar looking fight, Maidana's apparently dropped weight and focussed on conditioning because he faded down the stretch last time so that could bode well if Mayweather doesn't adapt to his rough house tactics.

It's gonna be good shit!

I can't believe whoever is the ref this time is going to allow some of the stuff that happened in the first fight to take place. I got no doubt Maidana will try the same tactics but be smarter when it comes to unloading as he usually gasses in the second half of fights. For me, Mayweather wins again, more convincingly and goes on to victim 48 next May.

About Mayweather looking drawn at the press conference etc, he did  in someways but I have seen him look like that before and he has been fine. At some point, of course age may catch up with him, as will the hard work he puts in, but if he had any doubts about this fight he either wouldn't have made the rematch happened or he will come in tomorrow night purposely overweight and what they going to do? Cancel the fight? Not a chance, so he will be fine.

• Paid Members

Anyone seen this Mayweather domestic violence stuff this week?

There was this Deadspin piece detailing a whole bunch of cases;

http://deadspin.com/the-trouble-with-floyd-mayweather-1605217498

And CNN interviewed him about it here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=a21U_fXjGTA

He really is a cunt. No remorse whatsoever. I didn't know about him threatening to kill his kids as well. And his denial the incidents even happened, despite his own children phoning the police and describing the violence, is ridiculous. His attitude in saying "No pictures", as if that means he's innocent, is nuts.

I've always thought the same with Mayweather - absolutely amazing boxer, can't say enough good things about him as far as that goes. But a total scumbag piece of shit outside the ring. And the more details I hear the more it makes me want to see Maidana knock the living fuck out of him tonight.

He really is a cunt. No remorse whatsoever. I didn't know about him threatening to kill his kids as well. And his denial the incidents even happened, despite his own children phoning the police and describing the violence, is ridiculous. His attitude in saying "No pictures", as if that means he's innocent, is nuts.

I've always thought the same with Mayweather - absolutely amazing boxer, can't say enough good things about him as far as that goes. But a total scumbag piece of shit outside the ring. And the more details I hear the more it makes me want to see Maidana knock the living fuck out of him tonight.

Yes, he went too far this week, even for me, who quite likes him.

Still, I am looking forward tonight. Matchroom card, bit of UFC, then Floyd vs M.M. Pretty sweet night

Floyd was clearly putting his hand in M.M's face. It would not shock me if M.M did bite him, but the footage I saw was quite inconclusive

I had around 8-4 Floyd like the judges. Early on I had sinking feeling that M.M could catch Floyd, but that faded as the fight grew older. Even though I should have been applauding a vintage Floyd performance, something about the fight left me a bit underwhelmed.

Maybe I want to see Floyd get beat deep down. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I scored it about the same. Floyd was much better about not allowing himself to get trapped against the ropes this time. And the ref was quicker splitting them up.

I definitely want Floyd to lose. He's not the type of likeable personality who I want to see retire undefeated. I hope someone lays him out before he fucks off. Problem is I don't see anyone doing it.

Who's next then? Khan?

• Paid Members

Saturday reverted back to the fights where i'd be really excited to watch Mayweather fight then just feel deflated as the fight played out.

I had my scoring the same as the final two judges 116-111.

Thought Maidana made the mistake of starting too slow, it seemed to be a tactical decision but i still think he should have come out and gone at Mayweather from the get-go. The ref. spoiled the fight from being an kind of entertaining cause he was breaking them up instantly, i'm not saying that as a disgruntled aidana fan but fuck me he literally dived in as soon as there was a clinch, Malignaggi made the point all night that he was breaking them even when they weren't fully clinched, not allowing Maidana to work away with his free hand.

The biting thing? i ain't sure what to make of that? im fairly certain it happened because Maidana denied with a smirk on his face but with Mayweather's glove over his face it was hard to tell if he actually did, is there any clear proof out there yet?

Mayweather won at a counter, Maidana trying to be more of a boxer which wasn't going to help all that much and add the fact no way the ref was going to allow him to get away with the under handed tactics he got away with in the first fight. I didn't think it was close. I had it 9-3 to Mayweather. Now we have to wait to see who is next, I was happy Showtime at least asked him about Pacquiao, but hearing after it needs to be on Showtime, has to be promoted by TMT, I dunno, his options are running out in terms of marketing and PPV buys. Pac doesn't fight till November, the PPV figures for this fight will come out beforehand and I believe they will dictate his next opponent is. If they come out not at the level hoped there is more chance of the ultimate fight happening, if not I'm not sure who it will be, possibly Khan depending if he fights again this year and also if he is to fight Brook next summer. Maybe a Cotto rematch at 154lbs, add Cotto's Middleweight title and it would mean Mayweather becoming a champion at a sixth different weight and a fight that will generate money and also one he is sure of winning and adding more history to his legacy.