Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

oh boxings clearly realised that loading up the undercard works. Its great for the fans, a couple of years ago youd have had the Mayweather preceded by the fights that take place before the Broner fight, now they've sandwiched two world title fights in the middle, its great for the fan.

I think Klitschko would have jabbed Tyson to death to be honest. In any era. Mid-late 80s Tyson might have had his moments, and it's not like Wlad isn't KOable, but I just picture that fight as 12 rounds of frustration for Tyson. Then again, it's a valid point that the guys Wlad's beating these days aren't comparable to the opposition he'd have been faced with in the 70s, 80s or even the early 90s when you at least had prime Holyfield, Lewis and Bowe knocking about.

I have no doubt that he'd have lost fights in earlier eras, but he'd also have won loads as well. My point wasn't that he'd dominate those eras in the same fashion as he does today, but that he'd still be a top class heavyweight contender.

You're right about Tyson though, he'd have simply outsized him. The difference between Wlad and the other two mentioned is his ring smarts. He's not just a good fighter who happens to be big, he's a big fighter who uses his size probably the best I've ever seen size used in heavyweight boxing of late.

Mayweather ain't happy with the gloves Maidana wants to wear.

Did you see the amount of padding in them? They looked like the cheap kids toy boxing gloves you buy in a toyshop for Christ's sake! Mayweather had every right to be questioning them.

• Paid Members

Garcia claims in the video that they are the same gloves Mayweather wore for the Cotto fight...drama.

as for Garcia, i was really enthused by what he said about Maidana's gameplan on All Access. Basically, Maidana needs to get rough in there, make this thing dirty and try and bully Mayweather...thats the thing that makes this interesting for me. Maidana stands no chance if he tries to box with Floyd, this thing needs to get ugly.

Also said Maidana wore them in his last fight against Broner, those gloves were terrible, don't blame Mayweather for making them be changed.

Garcia said the same thing about Rios before he fought Pacquiao, it didn't work out too well. Mayweather is far too good and skillful for Maidana to handle. Maidana jab has gotten better since he joined Garcia's team and I don't think he will have any fear as he knows what it is like to lose and can go out on his shield. I just look backto his fight against Alexander as the significant fight for why I see Mayweather completely handing out a schooling lesson and take a wide UD or win by late stoppage.

as for Garcia, i was really enthused by what he said about Maidana's gameplan on All Access. Basically, Maidana needs to get rough in there, make this thing dirty and try and bully Mayweather...thats the thing that makes this interesting for me. Maidana stands no chance if he tries to box with Floyd, this thing needs to get ugly.

He said in episode 2 of All Access that they're going to attack Mayweather and rush in on him because he doesn't like pressure fighters. Then in episode 3, he contradicts himself and said Mayweather is one of the best in the game, so we will have to feel him out for the first few rounds. If Mayweather gets stuck in his rhythm, Maidana isn't going to be able to break that.

• Paid Members
He said in episode 2 of All Access that they're going to attack Mayweather and rush in on him because he doesn't like pressure fighters. Then in episode 3, he contradicts himself and said Mayweather is one of the best in the game, so we will have to feel him out for the first few rounds. If Mayweather gets stuck in his rhythm, Maidana isn't going to be able to break that.

I noticed that as well. I suppose that could've been by design though, so Mayweather's team don't know what he's going to do. Problem is a) I don't think Floyd gives much of a fuck about Maidana's tactics and b) I don't think it matters.

Maidana hits hard, he's got heart and he's aggressive. I suppose you can never fully count someone like that out. And Mayweather is 37. It can't go on forever. One day he has to show up looking his age in there, surely. Now is as likely a time as any. But assuming Floyd looks like he has in his last few fights, I really can't see Maidana doing much at all. I watched an interview with Paulie Malignaggi the other day and he was saying that there were spells in the Broner where Broner made Maidana look pretty pedestrian and he thinks Floyd can do that better and for the duration. That's basically what he said and I couldn't agree more. I think it'll probably be one of Floyd's more entertaining fights because Maidana will bring it as much as possible, but I see a wide points win for Floyd.

How's everyone seeing Khan vs Collazo going? I like Khan on points but Collazo is a live underdog for me. I wouldn't be massively shocked if he wins. Khan should win I think, but you just never know with him. I'm expecting that fight to steal the show though. Khan has been one of the most exciting fighters in boxing for me the last couple of years, and I see this being another cracking fight. Hopefully Khan wins and gets that big Mayweather payday.

I like Broner to stop Molina within 6 or 7 rounds. I can't stand him but his talent is undeniable. You never know how a fighter will respond coming off their first loss but I've got a feeling he's going to bounce back in spectacular fashion tonight.

Can't wait for this show. Anthony Ogogo's on the undercard as well, isn't he? That will air on the BoxNation broadcast right?

• Paid Members

just off to bed, but that lived up to the billing. Maidana gave Floyd his toughest and roughest fight in years, i scored it a draw but i may have had the Maidana blinkers on a little on first viewing.

General twitter reaction is split on the verdict, many think Mayweather won, but others think the draw was about right.

Regardless, loved it. The 12 rounds flew by and it was the most entertaining fight Floyd's been in for some time.

other quick points:

Khan was brilliant, and Broner's still a tosser.

I am a Floyd fan, but I ended up rooting for Maidana. I had it around 7-5 to Floyd in the end. At one point I had Maidana 4-1 up in rounds. It was a cracking fight, the best Maywhether fight in a long while

Khan looked great as well. Sadly he might have to wait longer for his big payday, as now they might do Floyd vs Maidana 2!

• Paid Members

well Khan won't fight in September because of Ramadan, and that's when Mayweather wants to fight again so they mat do Mayweather/Maidana 2 then do the Khan fight in May next year.

well Khan won't fight in September because of Ramadan, and that's when Mayweather wants to fight again so they mat do Mayweather/Maidana 2 then do the Khan fight in May next year.

Makes sense, I forgot about Ramadan.

Wonder if Khan will have a tune-up before then. If he waited until May of next year, he will have only fought twice in two years.

• Paid Members

Yeah they were on about that on the Showtime broadcast. When exactly is Ramadan? I ask because a similar situation came up in the UFC recently. They wanted Khabib Nurmagomedov on a July card but he said he won't be available because of Ramadan. But he said he'll be good to go by Aug/Sep. So would Khan be ruled out of fighting in September? Either way, yeah, Mayweather vs Maidana 2 is the fight to make next I think.

Maidana was brilliant last night. I never expected him to be able to be so effective against Floyd like that. It was always likely to be the plan to be aggressive like that but I honestly thought he'd get picked off all night by Mayweather. Regardless of the scorecards, Maidana's stock went up massively with that performance. And coming off the upset win over Broner as well. Think about that for a second, Maidana very nearly took the '0' of both Broner and Mayweather, in back-to-back fights! Unbelievable.

I had Mayweather by just one point in the end. A fantastic fight. I loved Floyd vs Cotto but it was nowhere near this in terms of competitiveness and excitement. Easily Mayweather's closest fight since Castillo.

Floyd's entrance was bizarre as fuck with the clowns and dancers and shit, and then Beiber next to him again. Loved the way Maidana handled it post-fight. Especially the bit where Jim Grey asked him if he wanted a rematch and he said something like 'It's up to me whether I give him a rematch because I won the fight. I will give him the rematch.'

Khan looked great. Still got cracked and appeared hurt a couple of times but he handled it well. Decent fight but not one of Khan's most exciting. It was a bit dirty. One of his better individual performances for me though all in all. Although all the holding the head down stuff got really annoying. I know it's up to the ref to be on that but it took him 8 rounds to take a point and it was incessant every time they were in close. Still, aside from that Khan looked excellent. Wide points win and 3 knockdowns. Can't ask for much more.

Broner's a bell.

Edited by wandshogun09