Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I am not sure if he has been hacked or not.

But Floyd has gone mad on Facebook this afternoon. He is ranting about his ex-girlfriend, saying she got an abortion and he is against "killing babies" (this has been deleted since)

Now he is posting pictures of his ex before she had plastic surgery

Floyd Mayweather

10 mins

As for Wlad, i'll be tuning in but everytime i get that feeling of anti-climax. I mean boxing mismatches can be fun, but Wladamir has amazingly sucked all the fun of watching a one sided beatdown.

He's pretty much beaten every major heavyweight in his way, hasn't he? I'm probably one of the few who believes that he could easily compete with the likes of prime Holmes, Foreman, Tyson & Ali. He looks as though he never gets out of 2nd gear in his fights, as was demonstrated by the way the right hand he got caught with at the weekend only served to make him angry.

Imagine him at full throttle? Fucking hell. He may actually kill someone.

He's pretty much beaten every major heavyweight in his way, hasn't he? I'm probably one of the few who believes that he could easily compete with the likes of prime Holmes, Foreman, Tyson & Ali. He looks as though he never gets out of 2nd gear in his fights, as was demonstrated by the way the right hand he got caught with at the weekend only served to make him angry.

Imagine him at full throttle? Fucking hell. He may actually kill someone.

Wladamir is a great Heavyweight in a weak era. You can only beat what you have in front of you, but Wlad's resume is full of stiffs and blown up cruiserweights.

I do not buy the opposition he faces are strong, and he simply makes them look bad. It is shame he did not come along 10 years ago, so he could have fought the likes of Lewis and Holyfield when they were in their prime. Even the likes of Bruno and Shannon Briggs in their primes would be better tests than most of the boxers Wlad has faced. That is before I mention the likes of Bowe and Tua.

He would have beaten the post Rooney version of Tyson. Tyson in his Prime under Rooney/Cus/Atlas? It would be interesting to say the least.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I think Klitschko would have jabbed Tyson to death to be honest. In any era. Mid-late 80s Tyson might have had his moments, and it's not like Wlad isn't KOable, but I just picture that fight as 12 rounds of frustration for Tyson. Then again, it's a valid point that the guys Wlad's beating these days aren't comparable to the opposition he'd have been faced with in the 70s, 80s or even the early 90s when you at least had prime Holyfield, Lewis and Bowe knocking about.

Just watched the Froch vs Groves Ringside. Enjoyed it. Could've done without Danny Dyer's brief beady-eyed input though. Groves handles Froch expertly in these types on things, but fuck me he's annoying when he keeps jumping in when Froch is speaking. It's funny the first few times but it grates after a few minutes.

Was that right what Groves said, by the way? That Howard Foster 'liked' a Facebook status predicting Froch by 9th round TKO last time, the night before the fight? I never heard about that and the conversation moved on quickly.

Can't wait for the fight. And an 80,000 crowd is mental. Groves is a good fighter but he was pretty much a promotional non-entity in my eyes before the first fight. He showed flashes of his ability to promote himself against DeGale but that's it. Now he's got himself in the position of being half of an absolute monster of a fight. No-one could've predicted a fight between Froch and Groves would be this massive a year ago.

Here's a new two part Q & A thing with Froch and Groves;

Part 1: http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_ur...h?v=OBcoAs7Lf3M

Part 2: http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_ur...h?v=hV1jSJpDLZI

Around 40 minutes total. Might be worth a watch.

I think Klitschko would have jabbed Tyson to death to be honest. In any era. Mid-late 80s Tyson might have had his moments, and it's not like Wlad isn't KOable, but I just picture that fight as 12 rounds of frustration for Tyson.

Tyson beat Larry Holmes by TKO

Okay Holmes was slightly past it, but he had the same reach as Wlad (81 inches), and is considered to have the best jab in Heavyweight boxing history (other than maybe Ali). Wlad is 6ft 6, whilst Holmes is 6ft 3, but still Tyson could handle height, which was proven when he beat the previously unbeaten Tony Tucker (6ft 5) on points in 1987.

Lennox Lewis freely admits that he would not have wanted to fight the Tyson of the 1980's. Tyson was very hard to discipline, but under the right trainer he was dynamite. I think if Tyson fought under Rooney's guidance and used his head movement and speed to get inside, he would beat Wlad in my opinion. I think there is even a possibility he would beat him on points.

Wlad's two best wins are Haye and Povetkin. Haye was a blown up Cruiserweight who under-performed, yet still took rounds of Wlad (the last round when Haye let things go he was bossing Wlad). Povetkin is overrated, he has limited cardio and talent, if you watch the Marco Huck fight (another blown up Crusierweight), he had Povetkin in all kinds of trouble and was arguably robbed by the judges.

Wlad is a great Heavyweight, no question. He is not protected like some claim, there is just not that many quality Heavyweights out there. The guys who could beat Wlad are currently playing in the NBA/NFL where the money is.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Wlad is legit no doubt, he may very well have competed and beaten some of the sports greats but that still doesn't make him any fun to watch :laugh:

Ringside was excellent stuff again, them situations clearly favor Groves who's turned into a bit of a master of the mind games...i cannot wait for May 31st.

Thanks for posting the schedule for tomorrow too, im gonna try getting a few hours kip in before it starts :)

• Paid Members

yeh, it's 3 headline fights on one card. I just watched the weigh-in's on Boxnation. Pretty uneventful really, but Floyd and Khan in particular look in phenomenal shape.

• Paid Members
links dont work wand.

That's weird. They still work on my phone. Search 'Froch v Groves Facebook Q&A' on YouTube. There's two parts around 20 minutes each. I watched them earlier, worth a look.

Has there ever been a better boxing card than the one tomorrow? Mayweather, Khan and Broner!

It's definitely up there. There's been some awesome cards over the years though. Like these;

September 28th 1979: Holmes vs Shavers 2

Larry Holmes vs Earnie Shavers 2

'Sugar' Ray Leonard vs Andy Price

Roberto Duran vs Zeferino Gonzalez

Wilfredo Gomez vs Carlos Mendoza

Jimmy Young vs Michael Dokes

May 7th 1994: Revenge - The Rematches

Gerald McClellan vs Julian Jackson 2

Simon Brown vs Terry Norris 2

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Frankie Randall 2

Azumah Nelson vs Jesse James Leija 2

Plus Meldrick Taylor on the undercard

There's probably a bunch more like this from the 70s and 80s as well. But yeah, Saturday's card is top notch. Boxing have got better at loading cards up the last couple of years, I think. Remember a couple of years ago where you had HBO and Showtime on the same night? HBO had Martinez vs Chavez and Showtime had Canelo vs Lopez. And both shows delivered big time with exciting main events and mostly awesome undercards featuring Rigondeaux, Macklin etc. Plus two undercard belters - Beltran vs Martinez (HBO) and Maidana vs Soto Karass (Showtime).

Yeah, not one card but between the two promoters, that was an absolutely fantastic night of boxing.

Edited by wandshogun09