Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Late with this but sod it

Marquez still wants to create history and win the world title at 147lbs, but you can tell full well he doesn't want to face Pacquaio again and I don't blame him, he couldn't have dreamt of a better ending to the forth fight, perfect way for him to end their history and also I think Pacquaio wins the fifth fight.

Yeah I actually was hoping Marquez would just retire after that fourth Pacquiao fight. How can it get any better than that for him at this point. That'll be the moment his career is remembered for when he's retired.

I also think Manny would win a fifth fight. Since their last fight I think he's actually looked the better of the two. You just never know with Pacquiao and Marquez though. Pacquiao seems to bring out another side of Marquez. And I thought Pacquiao would win the third and fourth fights going in and it didn't exactly play out how I expected.

I'd actually be well up for Pacquiao vs Marquez V. Fuck it. I saw Dana White at last week's UFC on FOX media scrum acting all outraged at the possibility of a fifth fight but I actually wouldn't be against it. If we're not getting Pacquiao vs Mayweather, a fifth go around with Marquez wouldn't offend me.

The thing is, say they fight again and Marquez wins - then they're 2-2-1. Evens. Would they then do a sixth fight? Fuck me.

Edited by wandshogun09

I watched Briggs vs Lennox Lewis last night from the late 90's. It is interesting that the first two rounds saw Briggs have Lewis in all kinds of trouble. The tide turns as Lewis starts landing big from the 3rd round, and eventually stops Briggs in the 5th.

I think Briggs would have had the tools to trouble Wlad/Vitali in the late 90's based on this. Now? He must be having a laugh, or more than likely after one last payday..

Late with this but sod it

Marquez still wants to create history and win the world title at 147lbs, but you can tell full well he doesn't want to face Pacquaio again and I don't blame him, he couldn't have dreamt of a better ending to the forth fight, perfect way for him to end their history and also I think Pacquaio wins the fifth fight.

Yeah I actually was hoping Marquez would just retire after that fourth Pacquiao fight. How can it get any better than that for him at this point. That'll be the moment his career is remembered for when he's retired.

I also think Manny would win a fifth fight. Since their last fight I think he's actually looked the better of the two. You just never know with Pacquiao and Marquez though. Pacquiao seems to bring out another side of Marquez. And I thought Pacquiao would win the third and fourth fights going in and it didn't exactly play out how I expected.

I'd actually be well up for Pacquiao vs Marquez V. Fuck it. I saw Dana White at last week's UFC on FOX media scrum acting all outraged at the possibility of a fifth fight but I actually wouldn't be against it. If we're not getting Pacquiao vs Mayweather, a fifth go around with Marquez wouldn't offend me.

The thing is, say they fight again and Marquez wins - then they're 2-2-1. Evens. Would they then do a sixth fight? Fuck me.

It would have been a great way to bow out after what has been a fantastic career he has had in the sport, but he badly wants to be the first Mexican to win world titles at five different weights. It's why he went after the Bradley fight the first time around and wanted a return fight and refused to fight Provodikov at 140lbs for the WBO title. I would never be 100% confident in a Pacquaio win as history has shown how close their fights have been. If Marquez gets past Alverado(which I fully expect him to do so it will be interesting to see whether he will go for the Pacquaio fight as there is no where else for him to go unless he goes over to Golden Boy, but I think he got one more fight left with Top Rank after the next fight. I think the fifth fight will happen because of Marquez sheer desire to want to make history. More than likely would be a sixth fight too knowing those two lol.

• Paid Members

hasn't been mentioned here but other than another decent looking Showtime Triple Header on Saturday (Keith Thurman headlining), and the latest Klitschko walkover. The rematch between Guillermo Jones & Dennis Lebedev goes down tomorrow night...the first was one of the most brutal fights ive ever seen, in case you need reminding, Jones did this to Lebedev's face:

DenisLebedev4.jpg

Jones then got popped afterwards for some kind of steroids, which came as no surprise considering he walked through thunderous shots all night like the fucking terminator. It was just a crazy night and revenge is on the cards.

from what i can gather it's not on UK TV anywhere, so i'll try finding a foreign rip of it after the weekend.

• Paid Members

I'll be honest, I didn't even know Lebedev and Jones were rematching. I've fallen a bit out of the loop with my boxing lately. With the baby and the wedding coming up I'm barely keeping up with the UFC shows let alone all the other MMA and boxing. I need to see Lebedev vs Jones 2 though, one way or another.

Read somewhere earlier that Shane Mosley Jr is making his pro debut this weekend for Top Rank as well.

Wlad's fight being shown on Eurosport live on Saturday night.

It will probably be a walkover, but my attitude at the moment is "catch these great boxers whilst I still can". In retrospect I regret not watching more of Hatton's fights live, or Calazghe's. I was also too young to appreciate Benn/Eubank and Roy Jones JR in his pomp.

That is why I make the effort with likes of Manny, Floyd and even Wlad these days. In a few years they could be retired.

• Paid Members

oh i didnt know boxnation had Lebedev/Jones, must have been a last minute thing :thumbsup:

As for Wlad, i'll be tuning in but everytime i get that feeling of anti-climax. I mean boxing mismatches can be fun, but Wladamir has amazingly sucked all the fun of watching a one sided beatdown.

Lucas Browne fight is one Boxnation Saturday night too, i only found out the other day that he was an MMA fighter before he moved to boxing, even fought Daniel Cormier back when Cormier for a couple of fights. Browne's very limited but he fights with bad intentions and that always appeals to me :)

Edited by Ebb

I say about catching Wlad whilst I still can, but he claims to be sticking around for another decade!

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/1218...-another-decade

A few years ago I felt that Vitali was the more likely to be beaten than Wlad. But with it being questionable if Vitali will return, it could be Wlad that loses and passes the torch eventually.

I doubt he will lose tomorrow though. His opponent lost to Kevin Johnson only 2 years ago (Charr, Del Boy and Fury all handily outscored Johnson). It would be a Buster Douglas style upset if Wlad loses tomorrow.

• Paid Members

fuck, i've been avoiding sites for spoilers and was wondering why it hadn't popped up online.

Did anyone see Lucas Matthysse/John Molina on the Keith Thurman undercard on Saturday night? fucking hell, what a scrap that was, brutal fight. The Thurman fight was called off prematurely due to a rib injury to Molina, that shaping up to be a great fight too.

box_a_matthysse-molina2_mb_576x324.jpg

Klitschko/Leapai was a predictably terrible, one sided beat down, i don't think i can take anymore of them.

Matthysse/Molina though :confused:

• Paid Members

Only just caught up on the weekend's boxing today and was coming in to praise the incredible Matthysse vs Molina fight. Tremendous stuff from both. I'm a big fan of Matthysse, he's just such a fun fighter to watch.

I love this time of year for boxing. It usually starts off fairly quiet early in the year, but then April to about June is when business really picks up. We had the awesome Pacquiao vs Bradley rematch the other week, now Matthysse vs Molina in a FOTY candidate, now this weekend we've got Mayweather vs Maidana and Khan vs Collazo. Then Froch vs Groves 2 and Fury vs Chisora 2 coming up.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

can't wait for the Mayweather/Maidana PPV, ive decided to stay up and do the fucker live. Gonna get my head down for a couple of hours Saturday evening then im gonna power through with it.

can't wait for the Mayweather/Maidana PPV, ive decided to stay up and do the fucker live. Gonna get my head down for a couple of hours Saturday evening then im gonna power through with it.

Same here

Froch vs Groves on Ringside tonight. Could get a bit tasty