Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I can't see DeGale getting anywhere with Matchroom. He had a terrestrial TV platform to fight on so many times and he's so uninspiring, he was turning people away. Remember when he even had a go at playing the apologetic good guy who's tried to be humble. That only lasted one fight before he went back to being a cocky twat. Funny how he kept going on about holding the WBC silver title would give him some leeway with the WBC for a title shot and his eliminator fight is for the IBF title. So if he wins that, its either Groves or Froch he's fighting.

• Paid Members

i don't really blame DeGale for not really going anywhere with Hennessy, it started off ok enough but he seems to have been fighting meaningless fights for the last couple of years. DeGale seems to make fights harder than they need to be but i think he's the kind of guy that would raise his level given the right opposition. Matchroom's definitely a good move for him.

Redemption for Manny in the end with the win. First thing out of the HBO commentators mouthes post verdict was where & when will the 3rd fight be? I'm thinking HBO & Top Rank were in cahoots from the start to make this a long running rivalry.

The judges had the fight by much larger margins than I did, which ironically should have been the scores in the first fight. I had it 117 - 115 for Pacquiao. Bradley was loading up with big punches, head-hunting for the knockout with some success but nothing that would change the fight. By the end of round 5, Bradley said to his trainer "I'm hurting", then this went on for Manny to win the next five rounds on the HBO scorecard. By the end of round 9, I had them level on my scorecard. Manny was cautious and wouldn't over-commit but was doing enough to wear Bradley down. In the last three rounds, Bradley looked like he was exhausted, constantly stumbling and getting caught in the ropes. Then in the final moments of the fight, he swung wildly and headbutted Manny in the face, splitting his eyebrow and cutting his cheek.

Bradley post fight said he had no complaints about Manny winning, but I felt this was much closer than the previous fight which Tim still thinks he won 8 rounds to 4. For someone with a low KO percentage, Bradley had the wrong strategy of trying to knock Manny out. He punched himself out by the middle rounds and couldn't recover.

I had it 116-112 for Pacquiao. It was closer than that first fight but Bradley got his strategy wrong with trying to knock him out. I thought Pac thought a smart fight, Bradley has been goading him throughout to try and come knock him out in the hope Pac made a similar mistake to the one made against Marquez and he could get similar reward. He hit a few good shots in round four and was busy but not enough. I hope there isn't a third fight, I know it goes down in history as 1-1 but I think we all agree Pacquiao won both fights pretty clearly. I would assume it will be Pacquiao vs the winner of Marquez/Alverado. After that I can only possibly see him facing Provodiov but with them having sparred in the past and being close I'm not sure they would fight one another. He was talking that he has a couple of years left in him, Mayweather has similar so maybe, just maybe lol.

That's the problem with Top Ranks 140lb & 147lbs divisions. Its the same fighters against each other. Pacquiao, Marquez, Bradley, Provodnikov, Rios & Alvarado. Pacquiao has faced them all except Alvarado & Provodnikov. I was reading earlier that Manny only has one more fight on his contract before he can do whatever. That was Bradley's mistake resigning with Top Rank. He's made a lot of money off the 2nd Pacquiao fight, but now he's going to be stuck facing the above over again. If he went over to Golden Boy he's got Danny Garcia, Adrien Broner, Robert Guerrero, Amir Khan, Marcos Maidana, Floyd Mayweather, Paulie Malignaggi, Lucas Matthysee, Victor Ortiz, Jesus Soto Karass & Keith Thurman to choose from.

I see David Price won in three rounds against Ondrej Pala last night. Price was on the canvas in under a minute from a flash knockdown which worryingly looked nothing more than a graze. But his powerful right hand got him out of trouble in the third and Pala couldn't make the count.

Two of Frank Warren's biggest ticket sellers lost last night. Georgie Kean who Frank is always bigging up in his Sun column got outpointed in a 4 round clash. And Frank Buglioni lost his European title to Sergey Khomitsky. Buglioni kept getting caught straight on the chin from left and right hooks. One big one sent him bouncing off the ropes and back into the ring in the sixth and he was out on his feet. The referee gave him a standing 8 count & then his trainer got up and pulled him out. Maybe a step up too soon. Khomitsky had been in there with Golovkin & gave Martin Murray a tough time in his last fight.

• Paid Members

That Warren card was actually quite refreshing. Every few months Warren puts on there showcase type events where he rolls out all his prospects and they all come through unscathed against outmatched and cleverly chosen opponents, not so much this time. 3 big upsets on the night...Ovill McKenzie KO'd Tony Conquest in 5 rounds too, likes me some McKnezie.

The Kean defeat was shocking, going up against a guy who's lost 60 fight you rarely see a prospect have any kind of trouble but the guy looked lost out there.

Buglioni is a staple of these kind of shows and he's a big ticket seller for Warren with some real star power but he got wasted by Khomitsky who may have been a step up in class too soon.

Frank Warren must be kicking himself.

That's the problem with Top Ranks 140lb & 147lbs divisions. Its the same fighters against each other. Pacquiao, Marquez, Bradley, Provodnikov, Rios & Alvarado. Pacquiao has faced them all except Alvarado & Provodnikov. I was reading earlier that Manny only has one more fight on his contract before he can do whatever. That was Bradley's mistake resigning with Top Rank. He's made a lot of money off the 2nd Pacquiao fight, but now he's going to be stuck facing the above over again. If he went over to Golden Boy he's got Danny Garcia, Adrien Broner, Robert Guerrero, Amir Khan, Marcos Maidana, Floyd Mayweather, Paulie Malignaggi, Lucas Matthysee, Victor Ortiz, Jesus Soto Karass & Keith Thurman to choose from.

I'm guessing Bradley thought it be worth it to get the second Pacquaio fight and also with the prospect of if the worst came to the worst and the decision didn't go his way he might also get a third fight(I sure hope that doesn't happen, but with HBO calling for it and with the limited amount of other fights out there for both fighters, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest) I can't see Pacquiao leaving Arum, he should just to maybe give the Mayweather fight another chance, but even if he did I don't believe it would ever happen unless Pacquiao gave full control and agreed to every Mayweather demand which isn't going to happen. Marquez still wants to create history and win the world title at 147lbs, but you can tell full well he doesn't want to face Pacquaio again and I don't blame him, he couldn't have dreamt of a better ending to the forth fight, perfect way for him to end their history and also I think Pacquaio wins the fifth fight.

• Paid Members
Bernard Hopkins is a freak, isn't he?

He really is. It's amazing how he's able to keep performing how he does at 49. A combination of how defensively sound he is, how technical he is, how crafty a fighter he is and knowing all the tricks and the incredible shape he stays in. He also started boxing relatively late in life so that's served him well as well. He's basically a living, breathing 'fuck you' to Father Time.

I can't believe one of the judges had it for Shumenov. Seriously, what the fuck was that? Watching boxing and MMA as long as I have, I shouldn't really be surprised at judges incompetency anymore, but it never ceases to baffle me. I had Hopkins comfortably, 118-109 for me. I can't see any argument whatsoever for Shumenov.

• Paid Members

after two rounds i actually thought Shumenov was gonna give Hopkins hell, it looked like he was coming in with the intention of out-Hopkin's-ing Hopkins if that makes sense, it looked like he was happy to be ultra-patient and looked fairly sharp. After them two rounds i gave Shumenov one of the next 10, Hopkins just out on a bit of a masterclass again. His lead right hand has become one of the most effective punches in the game...im not someone who's watched Hopkins throughout his career so im not sure if that's something he's always had in his locker btu he's so effective with it.

The guy is amazing.

Then there was Shawn Porter. That guy is a freaking animal at Welterweight, he beat Paulie Malignaggi up. I love Paulie but he roughed up, beaten everywhere and knocked out for the first time in his career. Porter's one of my new favorite fighters, just a complete fucking tank of a fighter. I don't fancy Kell Brook's chances if they met up.

Matchroom card was quality too, Scott Quigg was in destroy mode, taking out a durable guy in 2 rounds, super impressive. Quigg/Frampton is the British fight i wanna see the most outside of Froch/Groves II.