Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah I just think Bellew was outmatched whatever he'd have done really. I think he only really had two options - get in Stevenson's face from the off and be aggressive, which would've been very risky given Stevenson's power and ability to slip punches. Or do what he did - try to take Stevenson into deep water, being willing to give up the early rounds but hope he fades down the stretch enough to allow him to take over. He tried but it was always going to be a hard plan to execute and it relies too much on hoping Stevenson fades. And I don't think he would've because I don't think Bellew made him work hard enough early to make it pay off in the second half of the fight.

Always a tough match up for Bellew though and he gave it a go. Went for it a few times when he had a few chances. Stevenson is just on another level.

Yeah I just think Bellew was outmatched whatever he'd have done really. I think he only really had two options - get in Stevenson's face from the off and be aggressive, which would've been very risky given Stevenson's power and ability to slip punches. Or do what he did - try to take Stevenson into deep water, being willing to give up the early rounds but hope he fades down the stretch enough to allow him to take over. He tried but it was always going to be a hard plan to execute and it relies too much on hoping Stevenson fades. And I don't think he would've because I don't think Bellew made him work hard enough early to make it pay off in the second half of the fight.

Always a tough match up for Bellew though and he gave it a go. Went for it a few times when he had a few chances. Stevenson is just on another level.

Pretty much my view. He was always going to be up against it.

Bumper pack of boxing this weekend. It starts on Friday with Mayweather Promotions chucking out all of their best fighters for another sink or swim exercise.

Chris John defends his WBA Super World featherweight title against Simpiwe Vetyeka in Australia.

On Saturday, everyone domestic & stateside has got a card on.

Frank Warren has got Paul Butler & Enzo Maccarinelli on his show.

Matchroom have got Darren Barker's world title defense against Felix Sturm in Germany.

HBO are showing Joseph Agbeko vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux, James Kirkland vs. Glen Tapia & Matthew Macklin vs. Lamar Russ

Showtime have got Devon Alexander vs. Shawn Porter, Zab Judah vs. Paul Malignaggi, Austin Trout vs. Erislandy Lara & Sakio Bika vs. Anthony Dirrell

Edited by Rossman

Am I the only one who hates watching Maccarinelli fight these days? He has been knocked out in brutal fashion a few times, and when he retired i thought it would have been best had he stayed away. I'm always waiting on him getting clipped and going down virtually every time someone aims a jab at him.

He's fairly irreverent nowadays. If he wants to keep fighting so be it. He won't face a big puncher because he knows he's going to get hurt, so if he wants to stay busy on the domestic level, he should be alright. Just take a look at the first Ovill McKenzie fight. Enzo took one decent shot and the referee stopped it when Enzo wasn't hurt. So they've got his best interests at heart. If he thinks he's going to make it on the Euro or World scene, then yeah you've got to worry for his health.

• Paid Members

well Darren Barker's reign ends in 2 rounds :( Sturm just blew him away...being reported that Barker dislocated his hip after the 1st knockdown so it was all academic after that but you have to feel for the guy. Sturm looked like a fucking killer.

• Paid Members

Feel bad for Barker but i never thought of him as elite level. He really should be thankful there is 4 world titles up for grabs. Think the result will gloss over Sturm slide in recent years.

Quillin V Sturm would be a fight which could gives us a indication of where each is at.

Edited by Fox Piss

Matthew Macklin won a 10 round decision on the Rigondeaux undercard last night. Shawn Porter took the IBF title from Devon Alexander, winnable world title fight for Amir Khan? Martin Murray will probably be shouting for another shot at Sturm probably the easiest chance of a title at middleweight and he was in with a good shout of taking the decision last time they faced. Don't see Macklin or Barker being world champions now. BJS is probably the best chance of a British Middleweight world champ after Murray

Shame about Barker, his body let him down at the worst possible moment. It looked like he was going for a long fight with a lot of body shots to try and wear Sturm down. I can't see him coming back from this unless he tries to tough it out for a rematch payday. Like the infamous Burns vs. Cook fight.

Very impressed by Shawn Porter. He bullied Alexander all fight and wouldn't let him get his punches off or set in any rhythm. He has the size & look of Adrien Broner, short but stocky welterweight.

Glen Tapia vs. James Kirkland was just a plain assault. Tapia was game for the first round and then Kirkland took control for the rest of the fight. Throwing and connecting with bombing hooks, Tapia was done from the fourth round and did just enough for the doctor to let him keep continuing. Trying to channel the hometown spirit of Arturo Gatti gave Tapia a few flurries but Kirkland was in no sentimental mood. Kirkland wouldn't even stop throwing when Steve Smoger half-heartedly tried to step in and stop the fight. Probably didn't want to join Tapia on a trip to the hospital.

I thought Rigondeaux looked great last night. Ok he doesn't do a lot offensively, but its everything else that makes him a master. The footwork, the hand speed, the feinting. Agbeko usually throws 1000 punches a fight. Here he couldn't have gone past 400. He was averaging 4 punches landed per round. Rigondeaux stood in front of him allowing himself to be hit but Agbeko couldn't do it. It was a psychological battle of disarming your opponent to the point Agbeko couldn't do anything, so Rigondeaux could take control whenever he wanted.