Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Eurosport.com EN ?@EurosportCom_EN 2m

BREAKING: 48-year-old Lennox Lewis says he is in talks to make a stunning comeback and fight a Klitschko for $100m.

It's nonsense;

Reports that Wladimir Klitschko is in discussions with 48-year-old Lennox Lewis regarding a possible future bout have been called "absurd and garbage" by the Ukrainian's management.

It has been suggested that Lewis, who retired in 2003, is prepared to climb back into the ring to face Wladimir - but only for $100 million.

"That's absurd, it's garbage. We don't give something like that any thought," Klitschko's manager, Bernd Boente, said.

According to a report in the Daily Mail, Lewis has told Russian promoters that he is prepared to come back to fight if he is given the biggest purse in boxing history.

"I said at the time that it will take $50m to get me out of my pyjamas but now I have to consider the value of my legacy of having retired as undisputed champion. That will cost them $100m," Lewis said.

Lewis last fought a decade ago, but was ringside for 37-year-old Wladimir's unanimous points win over Alexander Povetkin last Saturday, which saw the Ukrainian defended his IBF, WBO, IBO and WBA titles in Moscow.

And Boente said Lewis' interest in returning to the ring is nothing new - despite the staggering sum.

"That isn't the first time that he (Lewis) has offered to fight for a sum like that," said Boente.

"He nearly always says that when he is in Germany as a guest at a Klitschko fight.

"I saw him in Moscow in the ring, he is not fit anymore and has a belly. And at 48, he isn't the youngest any more.

"Klitschko would of course have to earn more, and who wants to pay that?"

GUILTY!

Wladimir_Klitschko_2554713b.jpg

• Paid Members

another interesting thing about tonight HBO card is the 'pro debut' of Vasyl Lomachenko, one of the greatest amateur boxers ever who people are tipping to go down as one of the greatest of all time!

He's making his debut against a guy thats 24-2-2 (15), which is very weird and there's reports coming out that it's actually Lomachenko's 7th pro fight but Top Rank are promoting it as his debut. Very weird, but still it's gotta be worth tuning in for.

• Paid Members

I didn't realise Marquez vs Bradley was tonight. Thought it was next week for some reason. Can't wait for that. Should be a fantastic fight. Hoping Marquez wins.

Wasn't that Gatti-Ward Legendary Nights supposed to air around now?

• Paid Members

No Wand its before the Alvarado fight which takes place sometime this month.

I got a feeling Bradley wins tonight. His a great fighter and showed he has grit and determination in his last fight which i reckon will see tonight going into the closing rounds.

Hope JMM wins though.

Edited by Fox Piss

I didn't realise Marquez vs Bradley was tonight. Thought it was next week for some reason. Can't wait for that. Should be a fantastic fight. Hoping Marquez wins.

Wasn't that Gatti-Ward Legendary Nights supposed to air around now?

Should be a great fight tonight, I'm going with Marquez on a tight points decision.

The Gatti/Ward Legendary nights airs next week on HBO after the Alverado/Provodnikov fight which should you would imagine end up being a all out war.

Lomachenko is crazy. He wanted world title shot in first fight, he is meant to fight the winner or Salido/Cruz on tonight's card next if he wins, has anyone ever won a world title in his second pro fight? Crazy thing is I think he will do it, talk about a talent.

The problem with Bradley is he is now trying far too hard to be arrogant and create a different persona to generate more interest in himself and make the big money. I think it will work as the Americans even if they find him cocky, up his own behind etc will pay to watch him and so will the networks. It's a shame he feels he has to go down this route. If Pac beats Rios next month I think it be Bradley/Pac II. Ultimately at present moment it be very difficult to make Mayweather/Bradley due to them being on different networks and the whole issue with Arum promoting Bradley. On the fight itself, I thought Bradley done a good job, he fought a smart fight, his movement was key and he showed he does have more variety in his game then he has shown previously over the years. Marquez just couldn't pin him and land the shots he needed to hit to get Bradley's full respect for his power.

The problem with Bradley is he is now trying far too hard to be arrogant and create a different persona to generate more interest in himself and make the big money. I think it will work as the Americans even if they find him cocky, up his own behind etc will pay to watch him and so will the networks. It's a shame he feels he has to go down this route. If Pac beats Rios next month I think it be Bradley/Pac II. Ultimately at present moment it be very difficult to make Mayweather/Bradley due to them being on different networks and the whole issue with Arum promoting Bradley. On the fight itself, I thought Bradley done a good job, he fought a smart fight, his movement was key and he showed he does have more variety in his game then he has shown previously over the years. Marquez just couldn't pin him and land the shots he needed to hit to get Bradley's full respect for his power.

I know this may sound a bit suspect, but does anyone else think that this arrogant & cocky thing is usually used by black fighters? Why do they feel the need to go down this route?

Different fighters feel the need to act a certain way to achieve the maximum they can with what they have. Unfortunately boxing ability alone doesn't sell and make you fortunes. Mayweather won bronze in 96 olympic games, beat great fighters in Hernandez, Castillo, Corrales, had won world titles at three different weights and a lot of Americans could have cared less about him. He made good money but he wasn't a superstar no matter how humble or how hard he tried so that's why he wanted the DE La Hoya fight so bad. He knew he was the cash cow, he accepted all of their demands, split from Arum and used the HBO new 24/7 show to get this new persona across against the clean cut American/Mexican hero, got the decision in the fight and the rest as they say was history. He put himself into superstar territory and has never looked back. Look at the money he has made since in his career, its unbelieveble. Guys like Broner looked up to Mayweather and still do and if it works for him why won't it work for them. Broner's a little different as mentally something isn't right with him, with Mayeather for most part it's a game, he loves the limelight and makes a fortune playing a act. Bradley has no love in the states, most couldn't care less about him and he doesn't put bums on seats. The Pac fight was meant to be the one to take him to the next level and if anything it hindered him with getting a decision he did not deserve. He wins biggest fight of his career and his next fight is in some small arena against Pac's sparring partner, must have been a huge come down for him and credit to him for taking the shots he did in that fight, staying in it and getting a close decision win. A lot of guys are like this but some are more upfront with it. Khan is one that springs to mind but I can't take him seriously. Maybe they feel they are treated differently due to their colour over there. One thing though is it has been proven that it can work.