Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I thought Banks/Mitchell was a fix but then thought you couldn't have made it more obvious. So was just left thinking WTF? Worth noting though Mitchell joined Al Haymon just before the original Banks fight. The Al Haymon sub plot thats going on in boxing is a interesting one. Either way Banks should be embarrassed by that performance.

Yeah I had Bika winning that one. His punches were stronger and looked like they hurt Periban more. Periban threw a few more but they didn't look like they had the same zip or crunch as Bika's. Periban's rant at the end was amusing. I don't think he had as much of a complaint as Paulie did.Banks vs. Mitchell was a dud, terrible advert for US heavyweight boxing. Mitchell doesn't look like he has the chin to progress against higher level opponents. And Banks doesn't have the workrate to do damage over a sustained period of time. Mitchell was supposed to win the first fight until Banks derailed it, now he can go for a Wlad fight and get beaten. Reminds me of the same position Price/Thompson are in.I had the Paulie/Broner fight as pretty close. Such a difficult fight to score and its really down to what you prefer, multiple soft shots or few hard shots. I don't think Paulie was ever hurt in the fight, stunned a few times from some hard punches but he's got a good chin and can keep going. Broner didn't look like he got out of 3rd gear all night, his stamina was poor, maybe because of the jump up in two weights. But I thought once he cut Paulie off, he would have cornered him on the ropes and then beat him down. The post fight interviews were a little crazy, I don't think Broner knows how to stop "working it" and Paulie says it like it is which I like to give him credit for. I hope that doesn't affect his position on commentary on Showtime, B-Hop was pretty crap as his stand-in and didn't come out with anything too insightful.I think this experience has defined that Broner is not unbeatable. Paulie got into his head in the pre-fight press conferences and it spilled over in the fight. Instead of gritting his teeth and getting down to business, he would rather have a conversation with Paulie and earn the respect of his peers in the crowd. Power and speed will beat Broner. Paulie had half of the combination and look how close that got him, if it wasn't for that "alleged" crooked judge.

I had Broner winning by two points, but it was a very difficult fight to score. Broner needs to learn and quickly that he can't be that lazy in the ring. Nearly every round for a good 30 seconds he wouldn't throw a punch, it's alright him mocking Paulie in the fight for lack of power, he can't hurt him etc but basically everyone knew that coming into the fight so he wasn't impressing anyone and regardless of the shots being thrown, if judges see one guy even hitting tappy punches he can steal rounds. Broner was too disrespectful, trying too many times to land power punches and it was minimum work rate. The performance might help as time goes on, but I'm not sure. A three weight world champion at the age of 23 is impressive and can't be taken away from him. I still feel like he has moved up to 147lbs too quickly, he will find it hard to drop back down as he loves his food and he is in the most stacked division out there. However much he tries to play up to the camera's, mentally he is a little fried and that's where Mayweather and he are very different. May is a smart guy, he knows what he's doing, Broner on other hand tries too hard and isn't the sharpest in that dept. He said he'll let the public decide his next fight(that won't be happening) it looks like Maidana which would be a interesting fight, he can't be messing around in that fight as he did this one, but for me Maidana is perfect for him as even though he's strong, he's not the quickest and he'd meet Broner head on in centre of the ring which will suit Broner down to the ground. I hope this is a reality check for him, because there's no doubting he has a lot of talent/ability, but that will only get you so far.

I would like to think someone in his corner has some sense and would make it quite clear to him not to mess around like that against a banger like Maidana. I don't think he would as he knows full well against someone with that power, that if he gets caught flush he's in trouble. I just think he had a total lack of respect for Paulie's power from the get go and that played a part in him not performing in the way we've come to expect from him. He's still a young guy and hopefully he mature's, rather than getting worse from his success.

I have always theught Broner was overated and to me lastnight proved it. To me boxing comes down to fitness so much, Broner isnt that fit, he struggled to get up from his stool from the 7th round on, if paulie had a punch broner would have lost.People think burns dodged Broner, Burns would take broner in the second half of a fight through workrate, heart and fitness.

Only nowadays you can be a 3 time world champion but never fight a world class opponent.

Broner is a strong fucker with a big head, but the problem is that that big head is to easy to hit. I think showtime are doing the slow build to him and Floyd and turning Floyd goodie in the process, even the yank comentators referred to Broner as a heel lastight.

I dont like Mayweather really, think he is a dick in and out of the ring (how gay does that sound), but after every fight, even with the hatton fight, he shows a bit of respect and class. Broner doesnt. I think hes waiting to be taken on pts, convincgly.

If your out of breath on your stool after 6 ot 7 rounds against a light puncher like Paulie, what you gonna be like if a propper fighter gets his mits on ya.

oh yeah and for those who didnt see Eubank on ringside a few months back, heres the best bit. Class.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members

the problem with Broner is that you just feel he can go up through the gears, he teases it but it never quite happens...it was as if the lack of power from Malignaggi just stopped Broner from ever getting out of first gear.

The stuff after the fight was bad, it looked like Paulie was putting it all to bed by talking to him, Broner looked a little taken back by that...then he grabs the mic and just stirs the pot again, tosser.

• Paid Members

I'm sure Broner as stayed on his stool until the last second a few other times. I always thought of it as a habit/gimmick rather than struggling to get off it. I'm surprised Paulie kept up the pace throughout check his breathing on the stool after the 3rd or 4th.

I'm intrigued by Broners nasty side. He did it to a certain extent with Rees. If you follow him on Twitter the guy seems a bit out of control loves a twitter breakdown tweeting a load of shite.

Didn't showtime interview his mom about still living in the ghetto or something? Broner made $1.5M for that fight. His fucking dad grates on me too.

Edited by Fox Piss

Floyd always stays sat on his stool until the last moment too so I wouldn't read anything into it. I'd not seen any of the build up for the fight and now wish I had. It's pure pro-wrestling! For what it's worth I scored it 116-114 Broner but he didn't impress me too much. If I were Amir Khan I'd be begging for a Broner match before Mayweather as I think it'd be winnable for him. He has the speed and it looked like Broner didn't carry his one punch power up the weight classes.

• Paid Members

did she really leave Paulie for Broner? haha.

Apparently Haye/Fury is dead in the water, according to a tweet from Haye, he offered Fury a straight 50/50 split to take the fight (some are saying

• Paid Members

I don't know who that girl is, but just going on those pictures alone, she looked better when she was knocking about with Paulie and his eyebrows.

So basically Fury's flapped it and priced himself out of the Haye fight, yeah? Or is there somehow more to it which I'm missing? 80/20 to Fury is ridiculous and he knows it. Haye was generous to even offer 50/50 when you consider he's the name and it would be Fury's first really big fight.

He can spin it however he likes but there's only one reason I can think of why he'd fuck up the biggest opportunity of his career to date and a

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Where does Fury go now? I read he bottled his title eliminator with Pulev due to low money/high risk.

With the lass (Jessica) the whole build up was that Broner took her off Paulie and brought her up and then rang her in the press conference. Paulie said she was weekend pussy and Broner doesn't get enough to have the option of weekend pussy :laugh:

Edited by Fox Piss