Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Juan Manuel Lopez had his comeback fight last weekend in Puerto Rico and looked pretty decent from what I saw of it. He knocked veteran Brazilian, Aldimar Silva Santos down twice and then stopped him in the ninth round. This should catapult Lopez back to the US for a big name fight against Mikey Garcia or Wilfredo Vazquez Jr.

Carl Frampton finally gets his European title shot against Kiko Martinez this weekend. Martinez has been running for 18 months to get out of the fight, cancelling it twice so that should be enough incentive for Frampton to get the job done in Belfast.

Anyone heard about or seen that Williams vs. Botha fight? Everyone thought the fight was supposed to be 12 rounds but it only went 10 rounds. Botha's promoter on the day of the fight got it changed to a 10 rounder but didn't bother to tell him because it would upset his preparations for the fight. Incidentally it were the 9th and 10th rounds which were Botha's best and Williams was literally hanging on through them and eventually got a point deducted for holding. If it had got 12 rounds he would have been knocked out because his legs were gone and he was wobbling all over the place. Williams hung on though and won on the judges scorecards.

• Paid Members

make no bones about it, Carl Frampton is the new superstar of Irish Boxing. The atmosphere at his fight on Saturday at the Odyssey was 'Hatton-eque', electric stuff. It was a really good fight too, the action swayed back and forth and there were times when i thought Martinez was gonna catch up with Frampton who shipped some heavy shots, Frampton's clever stuff off the back foot finally paid off and he dropped Martinez with a sweet straight in the 9th. This was the first boxing ive watched this year, and it was quality.

There's a part of me that always wants to see Frampton lose, it's all to do with the McGuigan factor in the corner. There's something about McGuigan that don't sit right with me, i don't know what, but i just don't warm to the guy.

If Frampton/Quigg happens in Ireland, it's gonna be insane.

There's something about McGuigan that don't sit right with me, i don't know what, but i just don't warm to the guy.

I know what you mean.

He is very opinionated away from the ring and is prone to talk complete bollocks. I remember writing a email to him regarding comments he made about MMA back in 2007 (I am not a stalker he was giving it out)

The amount of times he spoke over Johnny Nelson when he was a pundit for SKY was silly as well. "Let me stop you there Johnny" became a catchphrase of his.

• Paid Members

Adrien Broner/Gavin Rees on Saturday....along with the Jonathon Mitchell/Seth Mitchell rematch (first fight is well worth a look if you like a heavyweight slugfest).

HBO-Boxing-Series--Broner-vs-Rees-Feb-16.jpg

The odds on this are pretty ridiculous, Rees who's a former world champion at a highter weight and who's mixed it in better company at this point that Broner is a massive underdog in the betting. Broner is without doubt the hottest new prospect in the sport but i don't know if people are getting abit ahead of themselves here. I fancy Broner to win, but i think it's gonna be a tougher night than anyone on Broner's side of things expects, Rees is a determined, rugged little guy, he'll make Broner work for it.

Some quotes from the presser:

Indeed EBB

I watched a really good documentary on Larry Holmes vs Ali on ESPN Classic this evening. Unlike Ali's fights with Frazier, Foreman and Liston, it offered a interesting story that has not been done to death.

It centered around the build up to Ali fighting, with comments from various people close to Ali at the time and boxing experts. Holmes is also present to give his views.

It is a forgotten and tragic time in Ali's career and one well worth rooting out if it comes on Espn or Youtube. I was amazed after watching footage of the Holmes fight that they allowed him near a ring after.

Ali did not lose him wit and charm, but he lost his boxing talent against Holmes. And whilst as covered his parkinson's was already kicking in, the Holmes fight may have made it a lot worse. Holmes's lack of celebrity after the fight is also covered, with Holmes and experts giving their thoughts.

Essential viewing if you are in the mood.

• Paid Members
Indeed EBB

I watched a really good documentary on Larry Holmes vs Ali on ESPN Classic this evening. Unlike Ali's fights with Frazier, Foreman and Liston, it offered a interesting story that has not been done to death.

It centered around the build up to Ali fighting, with comments from various people close to Ali at the time and boxing experts. Holmes is also present to give his views.

It is a forgotten and tragic time in Ali's career and one well worth rooting out if it comes on Espn or Youtube. I was amazed after watching footage of the Holmes fight that they allowed him near a ring after.

Ali did not lose him wit and charm, but he lost his boxing talent against Holmes. And whilst as covered his parkinson's was already kicking in, the Holmes fight may have made it a lot worse. Holmes's lack of celebrity after the fight is also covered, with Holmes and experts giving their thoughts.

Essential viewing if you are in the mood.

I saw that a couple of weeks ago. It's really quite disturbing to see the sheer difference between Ali in his prime and Ali in the lead-up to Holmes. It's that sort of story that makes you realise just how "in the blood" boxing must be for fighters - it's seemingly so rare that any of them have the insight to realise when the right time to let go is.