Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I think Flotd believes he would beat Pac, but he knows its a risk to the thing he has built his whole career on, the one thing that he believes defines him as the greatest, the 0 on the end of his record.

The sad thing is, protecting that "0" at the end of his record is what will ensure Mayweather is pretty far down the list of real greats when the history books are written. He can sit in his big house with all his money in shoeboxes and 50 Cent telling him he's the best, but he's fought five times in the past five years. When people talk about the big fights they all want to see he's mentioned in relation to Pacquiao but that's about it. Mayweather doesn't excite me. He's never taken the risky fights in his career, and he won't start at age 35.

To put it into perspective, Pacquiao has fought thirteen times in five years, waging wars with the likes of Antonio Margarito, Miguel Cotto and Marco Antonio Barerra and has held titles at six weight classes. He should look at putting together the fifth and final fight with Marquez. Fuck Mayweather. I don't even want to see that fight anymore.

If Mayweather's intention was making a shitload of cash, then he's done it. If he wanted to cement his name as one of boxings greatest, then he's failed in my opinion.

He fought guys like Hernandez, Castillo and Corrales to name a few early on to win world titles. He has taken big and risky fights but that was more in the past. Now it's all about analysing and getting a big fight, but knowing you can beat the guy. He could have fought Cotto back in the day, but Cotto himself admitted before he fought Mayweather that he didn't want the fight back then as he wasn't ready. There was always a lot of talk about Margarito, but knowing what we know now, I don't think that can be thrown at Floyd's door. The fight between Pac and him should have happened in 2010 at some point. Both are to blame for it, I just think Floyd will regret it most when all is said and done.

• Paid Members

Has anyone ever listened to Skip Bayless talking about boxing? Fucking hell, how much does he love Manny Pacquiao. He's said for years that Pacman would spark Mayweather, Mayweather's running scared etc, Manny is the bestest ever and could knock out both Klitschko's with his glove laces tied together.

I made the last one up but you get my point. He loves him. Anyway, he was flapping his gums that Manny was gonna spark Marquez a few days ago. Here he is debating it with Teddy Atlas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpQv1nJRbI

I watched that the day of the fight so of course, ever since Pacquiao got KO'd on Saturday night I've been eagerly awaiting Bayless' response/excuses.

Here it is (shit quality);

"Manny Pacquiao was pummeling Marquez the way Marquez had never been pummelled. This was annihilation".

image-290x290.jpg

This guy is a fucking clown. Just listen to this twat.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Unless Floyd gets the majority of the money, ie say at least 75 percent in his favour I don't see him doing or even considering it.

I read recently that Pacquiao was willing to take the a 45/55 split or something like that to make the fight. Fuck knows if it's true. But of course, that was before he got KO'd so now he'd be expected to take much less of the share. And also the demand for the fight has taken a big hit with Manny coming off back to back losses.

I agree they're both equally to blame for their parts in the fight not happening. I still think a massive share of the blame lies on Bob Arum's wrinkly, sun burnt shoulders though.

I do think Floyd was probably thinking it simply wasn't worth the risk though. I pretty much gave up on the possibility of them fighting even before the Pac/Bradley fight so I'm not expecting it or anything.

Edited by wandshogun09

Unless Floyd gets the majority of the money, ie say at least 75 percent in his favour I don't see him doing or even considering it.

I read recently that Pacquiao was willing to take the a 45/55 split or something like that to make the fight. Fuck knows if it's true. But of course, that was before he got KO'd so now he'd be expected to take much less of the share. And also the demand for the fight has taken a big hit with Manny coming off back to back losses.

I agree they're both equally to blame for their parts in the fight not happening. I still think a massive share of the blame lies on Bob Arum's wrinkly, sun burnt shoulders though.

I do think Floyd was probably thinking it simply wasn't worth the risk though. I pretty much gave up on the possibility of them fighting even before the Pac/Bradley fight so I'm not expecting it or anything.

Pac confirmed it was true, he also said he would take random drug testing with no cut off point, something he never agreed to at the beginning, but he did in the end. Aurm doesn't want Mayweather to have the power and likewise Mayweather won't let Arum have the power. It has been a vicious cycle from day one and it will continue. Unless something memorable happens over the next 30 years, this will go down as the biggest fight that should have ever happened in the sport, that never went down in the majority of our era's on this forum.

He fought guys like Hernandez, Castillo and Corrales to name a few early on to win world titles. He has taken big and risky fights but that was more in the past. Now it's all about analysing and getting a big fight, but knowing you can beat the guy. He could have fought Cotto back in the day, but Cotto himself admitted before he fought Mayweather that he didn't want the fight back then as he wasn't ready. There was always a lot of talk about Margarito, but knowing what we know now, I don't think that can be thrown at Floyd's door. The fight between Pac and him should have happened in 2010 at some point. Both are to blame for it, I just think Floyd will regret it most when all is said and done.

I'm not doubting Mayweather's ability, I'm simply saying that if he wishes to be regarded as an all-time great he should have actually been fighting rather than fucking about with fake retirements and shit like that.

Pacquiao's legacy won't be as damaged by the lack of a fight with Mayweather as much as Mayweathers will by a lack of a fight with Pacquiao in my opinion. As I mentioned earlier, over the past five years Manny has been fighting the top talent and has been part of some of the greatest fights I've ever seen. Mayweather simply hasn't been.

When the dust settles and fans are looking back in 15-20 years time I don't think Mayweathers name will be up there with the likes of Pacquiao, Barerra, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns etc. He simply hasn't been involved in the classic fights that fans remember.

He'll undoubtedly be remembered as the guy who didn't ever lose, but he'll also be remembered as the guy who chose his fights very carefully. Still he'll have his shoeboxes and his rapper pals, so maybe he won't give a fuck.

• Paid Members
Has anyone ever listened to Skip Bayless talking about boxing? Fucking hell, how much does he love Manny Pacquiao. He's said for years that Pacman would spark Mayweather, Mayweather's running scared etc, Manny is the bestest ever and could knock out both Klitschko's with his glove laces tied together.

I made the last one up but you get my point. He loves him. Anyway, he was flapping his gums that Manny was gonna spark Marquez a few days ago. Here he is debating it with Teddy Atlas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpQv1nJRbI

I watched that the day of the fight so of course, ever since Pacquiao got KO'd on Saturday night I've been eagerly awaiting Bayless' response/excuses.

Here it is (shit quality);

"Manny Pacquiao was pummeling Marquez the way Marquez had never been pummelled. This was annihilation".

image-290x290.jpg

This guy is a fucking clown. Just listen to this twat.

oh my god, why is that guy allowed on TV? that second clip is just unreal, id have gone around the table and hit him.

• Paid Members

something i wanted to touch on which was understandably buried under the big fight on Saturday is James DeGale. Had another tough and entertaining fight over on Channel 5 with Fulgencio Zuniga, you could pretty much go back and give him the same critisicm that was thrown at him after his last fight (laying on the ropes) but as was mentioned in the broadcast by Al Bernstein fighters tend to get more heavily scrutinised when they are dominant.

What i will say is over the course of 2 fights Channel 5 have done a brilliant job of turning DeGale into a bit of a fan favorite. Pre-Channel 5 i hated DeGale, i had him down as a right cocky prick and seeing George Groves outpoint him last year was one of the highlights of my boxing year, but 5 have taken him and just added a little personal touch to their promotion of DeGale and he's done a complete 180 for me. He's still cocky but them little snippets of personal life they showed of DeGale prior to the fights just warmed me to him, his post fight interviews are hilarious too, i'll now even go as far as saying im a James DeGale fan!

I hope Mick Hennessy (booo) expands his stable and expands 5's coverage next year, they are doing a great job.

I'm not doubting Mayweather's ability, I'm simply saying that if he wishes to be regarded as an all-time great he should have actually been fighting rather than fucking about with fake retirements and shit like that.

Pacquiao's legacy won't be as damaged by the lack of a fight with Mayweather as much as Mayweathers will by a lack of a fight with Pacquiao in my opinion. As I mentioned earlier, over the past five years Manny has been fighting the top talent and has been part of some of the greatest fights I've ever seen. Mayweather simply hasn't been.

When the dust settles and fans are looking back in 15-20 years time I don't think Mayweathers name will be up there with the likes of Pacquiao, Barerra, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns etc. He simply hasn't been involved in the classic fights that fans remember.

He'll undoubtedly be remembered as the guy who didn't ever lose, but he'll also be remembered as the guy who chose his fights very carefully. Still he'll have his shoeboxes and his rapper pals, so maybe he won't give a fuck.

I think Floyd's name will be there. He has fought almost any fighter that came in his path. He did very well to market himself, after being labeled as a crybaby. He made a great career, he fought top guys, did what he needed to do, besides fighting Pac.

• Paid Members

Amir Khan vs Carlos Molina this Saturday then. Should be good, say what you want about Khan but he's never boring. I like Khan by stoppage around the 8th or 9th. Undercard has Alfredo Angulo vs Jorge Silva which should be fun.

HBO has Nonito Donaire vs Jorge Arce which although I don't have much doubt Donaire will win, it will be great excitement while it lasts. Rigondeaux is on the undercard, hopefully with wins from both we see Donaire vs Rigondeaux sometime next year. That's the fight I really want to see Donaire in.

What would you more knowledgable chaps say where the best boxing matches of this year?

I've not seen much from the first half of this year, but the three obvious standouts for me are Brandon Rios v Mike Alvarado, Robert Guerrero v Andre Berto, and Pacquiao v Marquez IV from this weekend. Apparently Brian Viloria v Hernan Marquez was very good as well, but I've not seen that yet.

• Paid Members
What would you more knowledgable chaps say where the best boxing matches of this year?

Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez 4

Robert Guerrero vs Andre Berto

Brandon Rios vs Mike Alvarado

Orlando Salido vs Juan Manuel Lopez 2

Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto

Marco Huck vs Ola Afolabi

Mike Alvarado vs Mauricio Herrera

Lucas Matthyse vs Humberto Soto

Victor Ortiz vs Josesito Lopez

Marcos Maidana vs Jesus Soto Karass

Ricky Burns vs Kevin Mitchell

Peter Quillin vs Hassan N'Dam

Miguel Beltran vs Rocky Martinez

Lucas Matthyse vs Ajose Olusegun

Anthony Crolla vs Derry Matthews

James DeGale vs Hadillah Mohoumadi

Andre Ward's destruction of Bad Chad is worth a watch as well. And Froch battering Bute. And Martinez vs Chavez Jr for the mental 12th round.

Yeah it's been a good year. If you're short on time the top 4 are the absolute must sees.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Been watching some Steve Bunce stuff on Youtube today. Have a watch/listen of some of these;

"Max Kellerman is an idiot"...

"Joe Cortez is going to get someone killed. He looked like a man who's just lost his bus pass and wasn't sure if he's wearing his nappy"...

Another on Cortez: "He was like a prostitute working a room full of oil billionaires. He went and tapped up everybody"...(skip to 6mins)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...;v=s_zCpxXjMGw#!

"American Heavyweights are gutless wonders"...

"Don't feel sorry for the WBA. Never stand or sit anywhere near me and say 'oh you've gotta feel sorry for the WBA'. Stuff the WBA, they made this mess let them get out of it"...

On the Pussycat Dolls: "Pussycat Girls over here....Pussycat Dolls...well they are girls aren't they? Although the one on the end did look like a tranny"...

Bunce confuses the Klitschkos for Africans, "A couple of African brothers?"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=doTUKk7ut-g

Bunce shits himself of Bernard Hopkins...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=lwzjtJu9wA4

"Knocking on my door at 7 in the morning? So you know what I did? I opened it completely bollock naked"...

On Ismayl Sillakh and American cornerman saying "champ and baby" all the time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vgzWPQelCw

Bunce farts live on air and wafts it away with his papers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_aYN_MN0qE...player_embedded

Steve_Bunce.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

here's this weekend's boxing schedule:

friday:

Jean Pascal vs Aleksy Kuziemski

saturday:

Frank Warren's Xmas Show (Groves, Saunders etc) * Ricky Burns fight is off :(

Nonito Donaire vs Jorge Arce

Guillermo Rigondeaux vs Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym

Amir Khan vs Carlos Molina

Arthur Abraham vs Mehdi Bouadla

that's the main fights going on, there's more than that too...add to that 2 UFC's, a Bellator and a Legacy Fighting Championship show...holy fucking shit!

What sucks is, im working all weekend and im out Saturday night, so fuck knows how im gonna cram this shit in.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members
Been watching some Steve Bunce stuff on Youtube today. Have a watch/listen of some of these;

"Max Kellerman is an idiot"...

i wondered what Buncey's problem with Kellerman was, he said something about him on air a couple of weeks ago.