Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Well Enzo got stopped in round 2, in what was a shoddy decision by the referee. Ian John Lewis clearly though we were about to see another x-rated ko and jumped in to save Enzo but it was horribly premature, Enzo was playing a dangerous game by allowing a power puncher tontee off against the ropes but when the ref jumped i he wasnt hurt. I dont wanna be to critical of the ref, as he was putting Enzo's safety first, but from his reaction afterwards you could see he knew he got it wrong.

I feel abot gutted for Enzo after all thats been said about him recently,:it wss shaping into a good fight as well...rematch.

...and that body punch in the main event, ouch!

Ovill McKenzie TKO2 Enzo Maccarinelli

Ian John Lewis shouldnt be allowed to ref again. Did anyone see the Briggs - Vitali fight? Briggs was in intensive care, yet enzo takes 2clean power shots and he jumps in and makes himself look like a tit. Im pretty srue he was reffing the Mcphilbin fight, too (which was an even bigger disgrace and should have been overturned to a No Contest)

Edited by HeavyT

I think its a bit harsh to say the ref shouldn't be able to referee another fight. He made a really bad call last night and he knew it, but when you're officiating a fight featuring a guy who shouldn't really be in there and is more fragile than Humpty Dumpty, you're going to have problems. The last thing he wants is Maccarinelli being carted out on a stretcher.

The fight against McPhilbin you can't blame on the referee. The timekeeper fucked up ringing the bell 50 seconds too early in the 1st round and for the 2nd knock-down he did his job counting a standing 8 count.

And in the Briggs fight, he was taking a pasting but he was still standing, throwing punches and defending himself. He was even doing TV interviews after the fight. Plus Briggs himself, his corner or the doctor can also stop the fight at any time if they think the fighter is in immediate danger.

• Paid Members
Ian John Lewis shouldnt be allowed to ref again. Did anyone see the Briggs - Vitali fight? Briggs was in intensive care, yet enzo takes 2clean power shots and he jumps in and makes himself look like a tit. Im pretty srue he was reffing the Mcphilbin fight, too (which was an even bigger disgrace and should have been overturned to a No Contest)

One of worse bits about Iain John Lewis at the Briggs/Vitali fight was that he saw fit to tell Brigg's corner off swearing. This was while he was allowing Vitali to practicality beat Shannon Briggs to death. It just struck me as absurd. The man had his priorities all wrong.

Edited by nfc90210

Redeption (redemption) - Ricky Hatton comeback tribute. Excellent.

I saw the Enzo fight, as much as it was stopped early, i do still think he looked vulnerable, underweight and gaunt for his height, i do think he needs to quit, bad stoppage mind. I love the Deacon Blue entrance of Paul Smith - although i did miss lastnigts, great tune, i did see the fight and think he looked overweight and nt great.

I would like to say Haye believe or not.

The Heavyweight class is that poor, Tyson Fury is not ready and may never be, David Price I would give another few years. The two American prospects are not much cop from what I have heard.

If Vitali stays in politics, I would not mind seeing a Wlad vs Haye rematch.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Wach was tough. A lot of people would have been stopped.

On the ESPN post show wrap up Steve Bunce had Tim Witherspoon and Frank Malony in the studio to talk about the fight. When Tim Witherspoon said that he thought that Manny Stewart not being in the corner may have affected Wlad slightly Frank came back with this...

You see, I disagree with that. They
Edited by nfc90210

On the ESPN post show wrap up Steve Bunce had Tim Witherspoon and Frank Malony in the studio to talk about the fight.

Yeah, and what an embarrassment it was. It was basically a Klitschko-bashing session. Tim Witherspoon claims that Wlad wouldn't have been able to live with the heavyweight boxers of the eighties. I've heard an argument that they'd have trouble with the guys in the seventies, but the eighties? Seriously?

He believes that such boxing legends as Tony Tubbs, Frank Bruno, Bonecrusher Smith & fucking Pinklon Thomas would give Klitschko trouble? Give me a break. The eighties was that bad that it was basically dominated by a 5'10 Mike Tyson, who got shown up when he eventually fought some top talent.

Both Maloney & Witherspoon claimed that Klitschko doesn't want to finish his opponents, or even that "he doesn't know how to". Yeah, 59 wins with 51 stoppages would suggest that.

An absolutely ridiculous panel performance to be honest.

If Vitali stays in politics, I would not mind seeing a Wlad vs Haye rematch.

Going by his first performance against Wladimir it's a rematch that I wouldn't want to see. Haye fought like a joke in that fight.

Cleverley looked impressive, great body shots on a tough but very limited opponent. I used to love Buncey on Setanta but really struggle to listen to him now, talks over everyone, he needs someone to reign him in and not Richard Keys either who seems like he knows fuck all about boxing and doesnt want to be there. Get Andy Kerr back.

As impressive as Wladimers record looks i can see why people are frustrated with him, but to say he couldnt handle the crack heeds from the 80's is ridiculous.

As for seeing a Haye rematch, it's definately something i would not stump up 15quid for again, but who else is there? If Haye fought with a bit more fire in his belly i still believe he could have a really good chance of upsetting things.

As for seeing a Haye rematch, it's definately something i would not stump up 15quid for again, but who else is there? If Haye fought with a bit more fire in his belly i still believe he could have a really good chance of upsetting things.

Agreed

I think he the most serious threat. Which is not really saying much.

Haye was actually looking the more likely to finish by the end of the first fight.