Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I can't see Pac going up to 154lbs and no way will Cotto come down to 147lbs to make it happen. I guess possibility would be 150-151lbs, depends on whether Arum thinks Pac can win with Cotto being at that weight, seeing as they made him come down to 145lbs for their first fight. You start wondering if the whole point of Pac not fighting Bradley straight away is to make some money from rematches against Cotto/Marquez first and save a return against Bradley 12-18 months down the line, wouldn't put anything past Arum after recent events. Even if May/Pac finally meet in next couple of years, it's not going to be anywhere near as good as it would have been if it had happened when it should have 2 years back.

• Paid Members

the 2nd International Prizefighter - The Heavyweights is tonight! the first one ended up being a bit of a disaster but they've rounded up some good f'n talent for this one.

Heavyweight Prizefighter is definitly my favorite of the series so this should be a fun night, expect upsets...

Quarter-final 1: Albert Sosnowski v Maurice Harris

Quarter-final 2: Noureddine Meddoune v Kevin Johnson

Quarter-final 3: Tor Hamer v Marcelo Luiz Nascimento

Quarter-final 4: Tom Dallas v Tom Little

Kevin Johnson is the favorite with the bookies.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Of them 3 I've only read Four Kings but I can't recommend it highly enough. Of course the meat and potatoes of the book is their fights and all that stuff is excellent but it also serves as a good look into all four fighters careers, personal lives aswell as other boxing stories and gives good accounts on Don King and Bob Arum aswell.

If you haven't read Dark Trade: Lost In Boxing I'd hugely recommend that. Fantastic read, especially the stuff on James Toney. I kinda understand the way Toney is a bit better after readiing that book.

War, Baby on the Benn/McClellan fight is another I always recommend and I really enjoyed Teddy Atlas' book recently.

Upset of the year last night. Victor Ortiz quit on his stool at the start of the 10th round because Josesito Lopez broke his jaw. It was a fast paced fight with lots of power punches. Ortiz threw more but it looked like Lopez had more connecting, he repeatedly hit Ortiz with an uppercut and he had no defence for it. In the 5th round, Ortiz went dirty when he held Lopez down with one arm and punched him in the back of the head with the other. The ref said it was a grazing blow, it wasn't, it was a full force straight punch and Ortiz should have had a point deducted. After Lopez was given a breather, he came back swinging and had Ortiz back-pedalling. After that the the crowd had turned on Ortiz and were chanting Lopez's name. It was back and forth for the rest of the fight and the jaw break was just a silly mistake from Ortiz. He had his mouth open and Lopez clocked him with a strong left hook. All the judges had Ortiz slightly ahead at the point of the stoppage. Ortiz vs. Alvarez is off now anyway.

• Paid Members

Just watched that. It was a really exciting fight, shame about the ending but a broken jaw is a broken jaw. Huge upset though, Lopez fought his nads off and set a high pace pretty much from the opening bell. I'm gutted Alvarez vs Ortiz has went up in smoke though. Wonder who Alvarez will fight now. I think we'll be seeing a Ortiz vs Lopez rematch when Ortiz heals up.

Did you catch the Lucas Matthyse vs Humberto Soto fight aswell? That was another good one. I was glad the ref stopped it when he did though cos Soto was getting hurt with a lot of them shots. Soto did well early and had his moments later but Matthyse just seemed to have more power and was connecting with the more hurtful punches. What a fight.

Two really entertaining fights there. Good to see after all the controversy a couple of weeks ago. I'd recommend giving both fights a look to those who haven't seen them.

Did you catch the Lucas Matthyse vs Humberto Soto fight aswell? That was another good one. I was glad the ref stopped it when he did though cos Soto was getting hurt with a lot of them shots. Soto did well early and had his moments later but Matthyse just seemed to have more power and was connecting with the more hurtful punches. What a fight.

Yes it was a good fight. I think once Matthysse got going with the body shots, he was wearing Soto down and then could go for more head shots. With 29 KO's from 31 wins for Matthysse, I think it was noble of Soto to take the fight but for his first fight at 140lbs he probably could of picked an easier opponent. For someone who had never been knocked down in his 68 fight career, it was amazing that Soto couldn't make it past the fifth round.

• Paid Members

the Showtime PPV was awesome, after the Pacquiao/Bradley shambles and the recent drug related incedents it really felt like a vitory for Boxing.

Ortiz/Lopez was probably my fight of the year, just an insane brawl. There's never a dull moment when Victor Ortiz fights, i thought they'd stir up the shit of Ortiz quitting on his stool in the past but when i found out that his jaw was broken in two places and had to be reset with plates and screws all that was put to bed. Josesito Lopez is a fucking lion in the ring though, what a gutsy little fucker.

Ortiz ballsed up the money fight with Alvarez but im all for seeing Ortiz/Lopez II over that now anyways.

Any news on the venue for the Burns/Mitchell fight? Its one I'm looking forward to as well. Burns has been superb over the past couple of years and if Mitchell brings it like he did in the Murray fight, it should be a classic.

It's flown under the radar somewhat, but former world champion Scott Harrison makes his return to the ring in a lightweight ten rounder this Friday night in Glasgow against Brahim Bariz;

Scott Harrison has a message for anybody who wants to see him fail when he makes his comeback against Brahim Bariz on Friday.

The former world champion isn