Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Theres talk of him facing Katsidis in his first fight for WBO interim title - now thats going in to the lions den for a first fight!

Yeah, that's what I was talking about, but I think it is a much, much better option for Ricky Burns than fighting Adrian Broner, and in the States especially.

Last night, ESPN classic showed one of my favourite fights from the 1990's ; the absolute brutal grudge match between amateur phenomenom Mark Breland and Brooklyn rival Aaron Davis. Certainly one of the most brutal and physically damaging fights I've seen, but an incredible fight to witness. Unfortunatley, as with most fights like this one, the intense action going both ways and punishment absorbed left both of these fighters spent and they were never the same again. Particularly Breland, who was one of the greatest amateur fighters in the history of the unpaid ranks, but this fight left him with something broken inside. When fighters get to that point, then it's beaten out of them forever.

Tonight, sometime around midnight, on ESPN Classic, they are showing another little gem of an action fight with the Evander Holyfield Vs Bobby Cysz fight from the mid-90's, when the holy warrior of boxing was trying to re-build his career as a top level heavyweight after two losses to Riddick Bowe and Michael Moorer, respectivley, along with quite a hard fought win over Ray Mercer in between those two title fights. This fight against former light-heavyweight and cruiserweight champion Cysz, turned out to be quite a surprise.

Pro boxer Monte Barrett told BoxingScene.com this week that he will begin training at WWE developmental in Florida at the end of October. He said:

"I gotta call [WWE senior director of talent relations] Ty Bailey this week and go through some of the particulars, but I know whatever it's gonna be, it will be a lot of hard work. I told him I will commit 110% and put my best foot forward with everything that I do."

Barrett will be in FCW for 2 weeks and then return for a two month training camp.

Primetime are pleased to announce an exciting schedule of classic Mayweather fights all week as we build up towards the Star Power pay-per-view. These exciting fights are available free on channel 480 on Sky

Wednesday 14/09/2011

8.00PM : Floyd Mayweather vs Shane Mosley

Thursday 15/09/2011

8.00PM : Floyd Mayweather vs Juan Manuel Marquez

Friday 16/09/2011

8.00PM : Floyd Mayweather vs Ricky Hatton

Saturday 17/09/2011

11.00PM : Anthony Crolla vs Juan Montiel

00.00AM : 24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz Episode 1

00.30AM : 24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz Episode 2

01.00AM : 24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz Episode 3

01:30AM : 24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz Episode 4

Should help with the build-up to Mayweather/Ortiz. I'm looking foward to it.

• Paid Members

Cheers for posting that, big help knowing exactly what's on and when :thumbsup:

I haven't got round to watching any of the 24/7 series yet so I think I'll just leave it and watch it all in one go right before the PPV. I've got work Saturday morning and afternoon so the Crolla fight and 24/7 will help me stay awake until the live show kicks off.

• Paid Members

Yeah, good to see PrimeTime putting a fair bit of committment into saturdays card. It looks as though Golden Boy are giving them support also judging by the amount of content that PrimeTime have been showing so far and will of shown by the time the week is wrapped up, especially the 24/7 shows. Since the creation of 24/7 by HBO, excluding Mayweather Vs Ortiz (PT) and Jones Vs Calzaghe (Setanta), all of the fights which had an accompanying 24/7 mini-series have all been shown by Sky Sports, however, the last time they showed one of those 24/7 installments was (I believe) Hatton Vs. Pacquiao. Unsurprisingly, that was a Sky Box Office presentation and therein lies the explanation. Of all the following fights picked up by Sky, none of their 24/7 shows were broadcast ;

Mayweather Vs Marquez

Pacquiao Vs Cotto

Mayweather VS Mosley

Pacquiao Vs Margarito

Fairly sure about those, because I distinctivley remember having to watch them on Youtube, although I could be wrong on one of them. Anyway, I was disappointed when Sky didn't show them and was quite bewildered because they had used them in the past and to very good results, so I'm very glad that PrimeTime are doing a much as they can, especially with using 5USA to show them the night before, and no doubt they will be plugging the shit out of it on the Tyson Fury bill on Channel 5 earlier on saturday night.

At 12:05am tonight, ESPN Classic are showing the first Arturo Gatti Vs Ivan Robinson fight, from 1998. The listings indicate that it is the first one, anyway, I've known them to get things wrong before as far as listing which fight from a multi-series they are showing. Anyway, if it's the first or second Gatti Vs Robinson fight then you will be getting a great fight either way.

Edited by Taylorslade

ESPN classic's have been showing some great content at the moment, they had 3 tyson documentaries on last week 2 ali's they have been showing various ali fights and other classic fights. A great channel.

also tonight Eurosport 2 thye have a boxing superfights show at 8 i think showing some old classic fights

Yeah, good to see PrimeTime putting a fair bit of committment into saturdays card. It looks as though Golden Boy are giving them support also judging by the amount of content that PrimeTime have been showing so far and will of shown by the time the week is wrapped up, especially the 24/7 shows. Since the creation of 24/7 by HBO, excluding Mayweather Vs Ortiz (PT) and Jones Vs Calzaghe (Setanta), all of the fights which had an accompanying 24/7 mini-series have all been shown by Sky Sports, however, the last time they showed one of those 24/7 installments was (I believe) Hatton Vs. Pacquiao. Unsurprisingly, that was a Sky Box Office presentation and therein lies the explanation. Of all the following fights picked up by Sky, none of their 24/7 shows were broadcast ;

Mayweather Vs Marquez

Pacquiao Vs Cotto

Mayweather VS Mosley

Pacquiao Vs Margarito

Fairly sure about those, because I distinctivley remember having to watch them on Youtube, although I could be wrong on one of them. Anyway, I was disappointed when Sky didn't show them and was quite bewildered because they had used them in the past and to very good results, so I'm very glad that PrimeTime are doing a much as they can, especially with using 5USA to show them the night before, and no doubt they will be plugging the shit out of it on the Tyson Fury bill on Channel 5 earlier on saturday night.

Sky definitely showed the Pac v Margarito 24/7 in the 2 hours leading up to when the show started. I don't remember for sure, but I thought they had the Pac v Cotto one as well. To be honest, I always downloaded 24/7 anyway (And I very, very rarely download shows from the US) because Sky used to butcher them to fuck-understandably bleeping out the swearing, and cutting episodes down to about 23 or 24 minutes instead of the 29 they actually last.

As for Saturday's card-I think I'm looking forward to it, but not really sure. Mayweather dancing round his opponent for 12 rounds and not getting hit is enjoyable to watch and appreciate a while after the fight, but live at 5.30 in the morning is bloody boring. As for the undercard, Morales is now fighting some bloke who ain't Matthysse, which is a shame. The Alvarez fight should be good while it lasts, but could be very one-sided.

I can''t imagine there will be much scope in people's predictions for the fight, but what does everybody reckon? I'd be shocked if it's anything other than Mayweather by a wide, wide UD

• Paid Members
Saturday 17/09/2011

11.00PM : Anthony Crolla vs Juan Montiel

00.00AM : 24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz Episode 1

00.30AM : 24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz Episode 2

01.00AM : 24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz Episode 3

01:30AM : 24/7 Mayweather/Ortiz Episode 4

Should help with the build-up to Mayweather/Ortiz. I'm looking foward to it.

what time do you think its likely that the Mayweather fight will be on? 5?

• Paid Members

watched the first 3 episodes of 24/7, the show is taking the typical good guy/bad guy approach (as it always does when Mayweather is involved) but this time they've really cranked up how much of a cunt Mayweather is. 24/7 is awesome.

I'd love to see Ortiz pull it off.