Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

went to the Saturday Night Fights broadcast in Cardiff last night, two decent main event... Carl Frampton/Robbie Turley ended up being much competitive than anyone imagined, it was pretty intense. I was sat with Turley's fans who'd all believed he'd won the fight, i thought Frampton probably won it by a few rounds. One judge scored 9 rounds out of 10 for Frampton, exciting little fight though. The Sky crew were all praise for Turley.

Rees/Murray was good too, if anyone ever wondered how different it is to watch a fight live compared to on tv. I never really noticed Rees fading live except for one or two around rounds 7-8. I was sitting with Rees' supporters everytime he landed anything they went wild so it's very easy to think that Rees was winning by a mile. When i re-watched on TV it did appear closer than what i thought. For six rounds, Gavin Rees was f'n brilliant but he definately faded towards the end. Still, an interesting perspective. Rees is a tenacious little fucker.

onto the Sky stuff...

Mikkel Kessler just brutalised his french opponent, it was a bit of a mismatch but Bouadla definately earned his paycheck.

Froch does it again! Another great fight to go down on the resume for Carl Froch. Exciting fight, Froch seemed to make it a little hard for himself by duking it out with Johnson when he got hit with the right hand, but that's what makes Carl Froch so exciting. Thought the drawn scorecard was abit fucked, but the right man definately won. Glen Johnson however may very well be the toughest man in the world.

• Paid Members

there's a new episode of Fight Camp 360 - Mosley/Pacquiao online, it's a recap episode and offers an insight into the actual fight, also catches Mosley asking for the corner to pull him out after round 10. Great stuff, these shows are awesome.

• Paid Members

Yeah Froch fight was really good dunno how one judge had it even. Froch for me is easily the most exciting British fighter at the moment. Fair play to Glen Johnson he took some punishment and hung in there.

• Paid Members
Victor Ortiz? That's a good fight!

You're joking, right? I really like Ortiz, I saw him fight live a couple of times when he was an amateur and I knew he would be a key name in and around the 140lb and 147lb divisions a good few years later when the time was right, and I still rate him now and enjoy watching his fights.

However, this fight should not be happening and all it appears to be, is Floyd having a walk to the nearest cash point. Victor - the debit card and Vegas - the local Spar garage. Unfortunatley, this is an all too familiar occurance with Floyd. I fully support any fighter trying to make as much money as possible in a profession where careers are relativley short lived, but this is taking the piss.

And of course, the Manny Pacquiao saga (that seems as though it has gone on forever) speaks for itself.

There has been so much written, maybe too much, about Mayweather Vs Pacquiao, so I'm not going to go in-depth there, but I will try and summarise my main concerns in a few sentances, as briefly and to the point as possible.....

Fights like this are EXTREMELY rare. Pound-for-Pound number 1 and number 1.a, are around the same weight division, and are almost the same age, aswell as both being at arguably the pinnacle of their dominance. Since their career pathways distanced themselves from previous rivals, and eventually got closer to eachother, they have both turned in brilliant performances which transformed the prospect of a fight between the two from an intriguing firefight pitting the classic offence Vs defence that fell in our lap as a result of the scrapped De La Hoya Vs Mayweather return....to a fight which would surely shatter all previous records, and one that would be historically signifcant both commercially and artisicly. One that would probably turn out to be one of, if not, THE biggest of the modern-era, post 1981 and the juggernaught of fistiana that was Leonard Vs Hearns. It isn't very often where you have two guys so clearly ahead of the rest of the field, and where they would also match up evenly against eachother.

And they look like pissing it down the drain....this fight should of been made after Pacquiao's mutilation of Antonio Margarito in November last year. It simply could not be any bigger than it was around that time, unfortunatley, some of the shine has been taken off it just a little bit, mainly where it matters ; the casual/mainstream audience. They were incredibly hot for the fight to be made, and it's them who take a great fight and lift it off into the stratusphere.

A year ago, or even 6 months ago, I was quite confident that this fight would get made, as the issues would be worked out and the almighty dollar would prevail once again. Now, I'm nowhere near as confident. Infact, looking closley at how everything has unfolded, the only scenario that I envisage this fight happening is at the wrong time, when one or both of them have very little left and receiving a standing count from age, dulled reflexes and wear and tear.

Imagining a fight under those circumstances, then I would rather the fight not get made.

Let's hope the right thing gets done.

EDIT---My brain is frazzled tonight after doing so much work all throughout the day, so much so that while posting this fairly hefty post that Pacquiao had all but signed for the 3rd Marquez fight. Sleep for me soon. But it's another example of Floyd doing a disapearring act while Pacquiao isn't locked in a fight, and when he is, Mayweather pops up almost immedatley. Nite guys, if there's any shite in this post then take it easy on me, I normally talk at least some sense on the subject of Boxing especially, but I'm fooking nackered.

Edited by Taylorslade

• Paid Members

happy to hear Mayweather's getting back in there! obviously people are gonna shit on anything that aint Pac-Man but im pleased with Ortiz! Ortiz showed against Berto that he's ready to scrap it out and he could cause Mayweather some problems. It's gonna be the skilled tactician against the brawler so to speak but it should exciting!

• Paid Members

anyone see Prizefighter this evening?

it was kind of a dull event until the main event which was probably one of the weirdest boxing matches ive ever seen.

Junior Witter looked great through the first two rounds, the commentary shit all over him but i thougt he fought perfectly for the format. It doens't help that Witter is one of the most unlikable fighters ever, i think people find it hard to say a good word about him.

On the other side of the tournament a Prince Naseem wannabe, Yassine El Maachi scrapped his way to final by being completely unorthodox and at times dirty as fuck. The commentary had Colin Lynes winning their semi-final bout which was super close but i was hoping for the Witter/Maachie final, which we got.

The actual final was bonkers, two unorhodox southpaws trying to throw single shots at each other. The 2nd round was probably the most action packed round in which a clean punch never landed ever, just a messy/scrappy affair. Round 3 came with Maachi side-stepping a Witter attack who went on to tumble out of the ring, takedown a camera man and bounce straight back in to act like nothing happened, wild wild stuff. I had Maachie winning on the strength of landing the cleaner punches, he rightfully got the nod.

Weirdly entertaining night of fights :)

• Paid Members
anyone see Prizefighter this evening?

it was kind of a dull event until the main event which was probably one of the weirdest boxing matches ive ever seen.

Junior Witter looked great through the first two rounds, the commentary shit all over him but i thougt he fought perfectly for the format. It doens't help that Witter is one of the most unlikable fighters ever, i think people find it hard to say a good word about him.

On the other side of the tournament a Prince Naseem wannabe, Yassine El Maachi scrapped his way to final by being completely unorthodox and at times dirty as fuck. The commentary had Colin Lynes winning their semi-final bout which was super close but i was hoping for the Witter/Maachie final, which we got.

The actual final was bonkers, two unorhodox southpaws trying to throw single shots at each other. The 2nd round was probably the most action packed round in which a clean punch never landed ever, just a messy/scrappy affair. Round 3 came with Maachi side-stepping a Witter attack who went on to tumble out of the ring, takedown a camera man and bounce straight back in to act like nothing happened, wild wild stuff. I had Maachie winning on the strength of landing the cleaner punches, he rightfully got the nod.

Weirdly entertaining night of fights :)

It was a good show, I like Prizefighter and I think it has gave the British boxing scene a new element which it needed. I've always said that the British domestic scene is the best in the world, past and present. So many great fights and always cracking atmosphere at almost every show and Prizefighter has gave it a good shot in the arm, so to speak. I like what Hearn Jr. has done so far, hopefully he keeps it up. For me, Kell Brook is the next big star for British Boxing, I really like his style and he gets the job done in good fashion, but he's been quite inactive over the last 3 years so hopefully he can look good against Lovemore N'dou and make a statement as he pushes his career forward, and I'm sure he would like to do a better job with the Australian-Ghanain hardman than Saul Alvarez did, to start drawing a comparison as I'm sure Kell fancies his chances against Canelo.

Ebb, what's your take on the Rhodes Vs Alvarez fight? I'll post my in-depth evaluation for the fight in the morning after I've had some sleep, but I'll say this, Rhodes was my favourite fighter as a kid in the mid-late 90's when Naz was hitting his peak both commercially and artisticly, I loved watching Ryan's fights and I was disapointed that he hasn't pushed further than he has, but I think he has more than a good chance against Alvarez even though most may not agree, I'll give my reasons in the morning. I'd like to hear what others thought.

Prizefighter is fucking gash, too many robberies, sloppy shitfests and past it ex champs who need coin. If they really want to do it, make it 4 rounders, up the prize money and get better boxers involved. Having a loss onm your record because of a 3 rounder isnt worth it!

Im going to see Lee McAllister challenge some Ghanaian journeyman for a second Commonwealth strap on Saturday. First boxing match so should be good!

• Paid Members
Prizefighter is fucking gash, too many robberies, sloppy shitfests and past it ex champs who need coin. If they really want to do it, make it 4 rounders, up the prize money and get better boxers involved. Having a loss onm your record because of a 3 rounder isnt worth it!

i kind of agree, but it's still fun to watch.

• Paid Members

on the Rhodes/Alvarez fight...

i can't really comment, Ryan Rhodes is one of those guys that's kinda flown under my rader in recent years. I'll try getting hold of some of his stuff before the fight. I'll be watching though, im a fan of Alvarez n though. People critisised the Hatton performance but i think Alvarez just coasted, he strikes me as the kinda guy that can turn it on whem he needs too, i'll be tuning in.