Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i still haven't seen Assault In The Ring, ive had it for ages too. I read all about it though, shocking.

As for this week, im gutted :( Was really looking forward to a double headline type show, it seemed like it was rescued with Bellew but then he dropped out...he's more than likely set himself up for a future crack at Cleverley anyways so it aint all bad. Sucks for Cleverley too, he's been awarded the title, but nobody wants to take a world title in that way surely? the late replacement aint good either, last time out he fought a late replacement and he had a bad night.

Ain't all lost though, anyone see Behind The Ropes - Groves/DeGale? excellent little half hour hype show. I'm behind Groves 100%, he comes across as a humble young guy who just loves to box, DeGale on the other hand oozes that cocky charisma that its easy to dislike. I'd like to see em bury the hatchet after the fight regardless but i get hte impression that if DeGale loses he won't be offering any respect to Groves, he don't seem the type. It's been an awesome buildup though, i aint sure that it's captured the publics imagination, but as a boxing fan it's been brilliant.

• Paid Members

:laugh:

anyone know of any other HBO fight related docs? ive seen all the Legendary Nights series, and i highly recommend them. Then there's the Ringside series and Ring Life series. But are they other standalone ones like the Assault in the Ring one?

i still haven't seen Assault In The Ring, ive had it for ages too. I read all about it though, shocking.

As for this week, im gutted :( Was really looking forward to a double headline type show, it seemed like it was rescued with Bellew but then he dropped out...he's more than likely set himself up for a future crack at Cleverley anyways so it aint all bad. Sucks for Cleverley too, he's been awarded the title, but nobody wants to take a world title in that way surely? the late replacement aint good either, last time out he fought a late replacement and he had a bad night.

Ain't all lost though, anyone see Behind The Ropes - Groves/DeGale? excellent little half hour hype show. I'm behind Groves 100%, he comes across as a humble young guy who just loves to box, DeGale on the other hand oozes that cocky charisma that its easy to dislike. I'd like to see em bury the hatchet after the fight regardless but i get hte impression that if DeGale loses he won't be offering any respect to Groves, he don't seem the type. It's been an awesome buildup though, i aint sure that it's captured the publics imagination, but as a boxing fan it's been brilliant.

I seen the half hour programe and the press conference and they both confirmed to me that Degale is a Cock. Very unlikeable, he trys to be brash and cocky but he just comes across as a thick clown to me. Even at the press conference when he was offering to bet Groves, he had Mcdonald whispering in his ear telling him what to say.

After watching the Groves/Anderson fight again lastnight, i do think Degale will beat Groves and stop him. I just hope it's a good competitive fight. Would like Groves to beat him though.

Whoever wins, if they string together another couple of victories after this then hopefully they'll fight The Cobra. Would like to see the Cobra lay the smack down on Degale.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members

:laugh:

anyone know of any other HBO fight related docs? ive seen all the Legendary Nights series, and i highly recommend them. Then there's the Ringside series and Ring Life series. But are they other standalone ones like the Assault in the Ring one?

Not HBO but these are good

Sugar Ray Robinson: The Bright Lights & Dark Shadows Of A Champion

PART 1 -

Evander Holyfield 'No Comprimise' doc

PART 1 -

Fighting Back: The Michael Watson Story

PART 1 -

Clash Of The Titans (old BBC doc on Benn/Eubank rivalry)

PART 1 -

Nigel Benn on The Devil's Advocate (debate show a few months after the McClellan fight on the dangers of boxing)

PART 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm-VQ82_Gko

All well worth a look

^ that's a news piece about another documentary called Cornered...is that just Assault In The Ring under another name?

Yeah I was lookin at that aswell. I think it is just the same though cos the trailer for Cornered is on Youtube aswell and the interview clips they used were in Assault In The Ring too. Maybe Cornered was the original title?

• Paid Members

Oh and I'd recommend the HBO Beyond The Glory docs too.

Beyond The Glory - Tyson

PART 1 -

Roy Jones Jr

PART 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3e0b28bHuw

Ray Leonard

PART 1 -

speaking of Leonard he's got an autobiography out next month. I'm glad he waited till his career was well over before doing it. Should be a good read.

sugar-ray-leonard-the-big-fight-300x300.jpg

EDIT - just found this too, there's a Beyond The Glory doc on the UFC too which I haven't seen before

PART 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaWSjJ7-tGE

Edited by wandshogun09

Just watched Groves v Anderson & have to say that i was shocked at how poor Groves was tactically. He has power & guts but has to get street smart before Saturday or he will be a sitting duck!

I know i am contradicting the above sentence, but i think Groves will win on Saturday. This prediction is based purely on gut instinct, much like when i predicted Eubank to beat Benn in their first encounter. When you have bad blood & undefeated streaks, the underdog often rises to the challenge........Interesting!Told you!

• Paid Members

It was close but I had DeGale winning just. Could've gone either way though really and Groves might have scored enough points early to get the nod. No complaints.

Glad Groves got the win anyway. DeGale is a twat.

In other news ***SPOILERS***

mixed results from the legends last night. Hopkins beat Pascal on points and looked impressive in doing so. Roy Jones suffered a 10th round KO from Denis Lebedev.

here's the Jones Jr stoppage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlR5fQqdnyc

gotta say Lebedev's a bit of a cunt for throwing that last shot imo. The ref was fannying about before stepping in but Lebedev must've seen him stepping in.

Really sad to see Jones getting stopped by guys who couldn't lace his gloves in his prime. He really should hang em up he's got nowt to prove and it's clear he's just diminishing his legacy with every fight at this point :(

mixed results from the legends last night. Hopkins beat Pascal on points and looked impressive in doing so. Roy Jones suffered a 10th round KO from Denis Lebedev.

here's the Jones Jr stoppage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlR5fQqdnyc

gotta say Lebedev's a bit of a cunt for throwing that last shot imo. The ref was fannying about before stepping in but Lebedev must've seen him stepping in.

Really sad to see Jones getting stopped by guys who couldn't lace his gloves in his prime. He really should hang em up he's got nowt to prove and it's clear he's just diminishing his legacy with every fight at this point :(

So sad to see RJJ like that, with his wife/gf looking concerned. He needs to get out of boxing, if its a pride thing he should fight an Omar Shieka/Jeff Lacy-calibre of fighter so he can go out on a win.

Congrats to Bhop, the man is like a fine wine.

Some decent fights coming up;

Sebastian Zbik vs. Julio Cesar Chavez - June 4th

Carl Froch vs. Glen Johnson - June 4th

Mikkel Kessler vs. Mehdi Bouadla - June 4th

"Prizefighter" series - June 7th

Felix Sturm vs. Matthew Macklin - June 25th

Wladimir Klitschko vs. David Haye - July 2nd

Ricky Burns vs. TBA - July 16th

Amir Khan vs. TBA - July 23rd

Vitali Klitschko vs. Tomasz Adamek - Sept 10th

Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez - Nov 12th

He won't beat an Omar Sheika. The problem with RJJ was the methods he used to move up from light heavyweight to fight John Ruiz. That basically killed his God-given athleticism. Once that was gone, he was a sitting duck because he basically has nothing else.

An interesting read on Jones future. He most definately should have hung it up years ago;

Any boxing commission that issues a license to fight for Roy Jones Jr. in the future will have completely ignored its obligations. One of the primary obligations of the boxing commissions is to ensure that noone is allowed in the ring who is a danger to himself by being there. Roy Jones should never be given another license, for his own good. It shouldn't be allowed to happen, though, no doubt, it will.

Roy Jones was the P4P king for years and fought with heart and skill to dominate his competition. Those days are over. They've been over for at least 6-7 years. At this point, he risks his health and life every time he steps into the ring.

Yes, boxing is a brutal sport and every fighter takes a certain amount of risk to health and life when he agrees to box. There is a difference, though, between reasonable and unreasonable risk. Roy Jones has crossed that line.

If you haven't watched the knockout administered to Jones by Lebedev, you are probably better off. Jones wasn't just knocked out, he was knocked unconscious. It took a significant amount of time before his corner was even able to get him up on a stool, let alone standing again.

Even after the horrific loss to Lebedev, which wasn't a fluke as Jones is 5-7 in his last 12 fights and has been knocked out 4 times in that span, Jones is apparently considering continuing to fight. He shouldn't be allowed to make that choice.

Roy Jones' skills have deteriorated to the point that he can no longer effectively protect himself throughout a 10 round fight. It doesn't matter that he made it to the 10th round - what matters is what happened in that 10th round.

Jones was a scintillating champion but if he is allowed to continue to fight, he is going to end up a cautionary tale. If Jones refuses to see reality himself, it is incumbent on every boxing commission to refuse to allow Jones to continue on a course that could end up with him permanently injured or dead.