Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

i used to like Haye, as a fighter and he came across very well on i'm a celebrity a couple of years ago. But, i've seen his interviews since he's announced his comeback and something irks me about him. May be he is trying to rush the Joshua fight before Joshua improves, or his slightly dismissive attitude towards Fury after Fury done something he couldn't and the whole pulling out twice against Fury debacle. Maybe it's his new haircut as well. He's a very exciting fighter but part of me would like to see Fury smash him up. Never thought i would say that.

Just watched a great documentary i recorded on bt sport about Roberto Duran, and another one above. What a man. Hands od Stone, what a name to have! The above link is a shorter version of a similiar doc.

As good as Floyd is, you cannot help but feel the thing his career missed is the leonard duran 1 moment, losing but proving your a tough tough man.

You can see why older boxing fans struggle with todays environment.

15th round in the first fight and they both come out unloading bombs.

Tyson describes Ray Leonard as a Pitbull with a pretty face. Great description.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Roberto Duran is one of my top four favourite boxers ever along with Marvin Hagler, Arturo Gatti and Nigel Benn.

Duran was an animal in his prime, and even way after his prime. He had a bit of a unique career in that he went from rags to riches like a lot of boxers, but there were stories that he would go back to Panama and give big chunks of it away to people on the streets. Then there was the famous 'No Mas' fight where he quit mid fight and lost all the respect he had as a fearless fighter. Then somehow he rose from the ashes again and redeemed himself later in his career with some great performances and big wins over the likes of Davey Moore and Iran Barkley. Even the Hagler fight, yeah he lost but to go up in weight and go 15 rounds with Hagler is really something.

I love this Duran highlight;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=gac4u7iqclk

• Paid Members

can't wait wait for the Roberto Duran biopic, when a movie like that comes out i probably means we'll see a few other new Duran related documentaries pop up. Given the people involved with the making of the movie i have high hopes for it...

Hands-of-Stone_poster_goldposter_com_1-4

• Paid Members

When is that meant to be out? I remember hearing about that at least three or four years ago but nothing since.

EDIT - Duran's cameo in Rocky II;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=tFG6Do4IcuQ

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

at some point this year, just reading that it was initially meant to be released in 2014 so maybe it's going to be a steaming turd of a movie :(

Edited by Ebb

Gael Garcia Bernal was originally going to play Duran but had to quit because of a schedule problem. If they waited for him they would have lost De Niro. Al Pacino was originally going to play De Niro's part of Ray Arcel but he quit because of scheduling too.

The filming was finished in 2014 so they must have problems with money and getting it finished. The Weinstein company bought distribution rights mid last year, so thats a good sign the film will come out. But there's no trailer or teaser clips and only one picture of Ramirez & De Niro in character

You've also got Bleed For This coming out sometime this year. Miles Teller from Whiplash plays Vinny Pazienza. A world champion who was in a car crash. Doctors told him he wouldn't be able to walk or box again. But he maintained an exercise regime against doctors order and was back in the ring 13 months later. He even beat Roberto Duran a few years later.

One of these two must be better than the fairy tale that was Southpaw.

Interesting that. I wonder if they just weren't getting as much as they first thought they might from the TV networks. Hence doing it themselves may work out better. Debatable if it opens up more viewers or less though. I and many others prefer watching things via the telly. Or in pubs/bars. Won't happen via YouTube.

Does also cut out people illegally streaming. So more eyeballs on the feed with their advertisements. So they can probably sell at a higher rate to!