Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

436794-pacquiao-vs-mayweather.jpg

Pac comeback!!!

:laugh:

I dunno whether Floyd is just trying to keep up interest and feels like having a laugh, or whether he is trying to set the fight up. He has been talking about Pac a lot in recent weeks in videos and now for him to suddenly bring out pictures like this right before and during christmas is surprising. I don't want to get my hopes up again that this fight will ever happen, still expect it to be Floyd vs Khan next, he gonna have to do all he can to sell that fight.

• Paid Members

How likely is it, realistically, that we actually get Mayweather vs Pacquiao on soonish? I always swear I won't let them get my hopes up but whenever they start going back and forth I always get sucked in again.

In some ways I suppose it might be more likely to happen these days. Pacquiao's bumpy 2012 might have made him realise that that huge Mayweather payday won't be there forever. And for Mayweather, seeing Pacquiao get faceplanted by Marquez might have made him see Pacquiao as an easier payday than he'd previously thought. Who knows?

But there's still the big stumbling blocks. If they start talking again then will the drug test shit start up again? And of course now it's even trickier with Mayweather on Showtime and Pacquiao on HBO. Could be a right ballache to set up.

How realistic is a Floyd vs Manny 2014 fight? Yeah it's about 4-5 years late but better late than never. I'd still love to see it and it's still the biggest fight in boxing. You know it would do monster PPV buys as well. It'd be a shame if it never happens.

As for Fight Of The Year. It's a tough one. It's been a truly incredible year of fights. From Bradley vs Provodnikov to the thriller of a rematch between Rios and Alvarado to Carl Froch's two outings with Kessler and Groves to Tyson Fury getting up off the floor to beat Steve Cunningham. The Lebedev vs Jones war. Anthony Crolla vs Derry Matthews 2. The awesome Khan vs Diaz fight. And of course Broner's humbling at the heavy hands of Marcos Maidana was brilliant. It's been an amazing year. I don't think I can recall a better one.

I think my favourite of the bunch though was these bastards;

figueroa_vs_arakawa_yukuda1-530x317.jpg

Omar Figueroa vs Nihito Arakawa. Just an unbelievable epic battle. I love this fight. Shades of Gatti-Ward and Corrales-Castillo at times. Seeing as it's Boxing Day, I think I'll try to squeeze in a rewatch of this sometime today if I get the time.

Give it a watch if you haven't seen it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=2XzHhuyNHEY

figuaroa-akiwara.jpg

• Paid Members

Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto is pretty much a done deal for June 7th at Madison Square Garden. Should be fun. Why's it such a long way off though?

I thought we'd get Cotto vs Canelo next. Who does this leave Canelo with now? Lara? Kirkland?

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Martinez is still recovering from his operation so i'm guessing he wants plenty of time to get back to 100%.

Canelo is planning on fighting 3 times this year with them all being on PPV i believe. Saw reports today his first opponent will either be Molina or Angulo.

I like Canelo and think his solid all rounder but i honestly think Angulo,Lara and Kirkland could beat him. All 50/50 fights in my opinion.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

there's a rumored fight between Gennady Golovkin & James Kirkland going down next year also... now many people may see that as a mismatch, but just knowing how James Kirkland fights, that may turn into one of the wildest fights of the year.

Doesn't Mayweather want Canelo on the undercard of his PPV?

there's a rumored fight between Gennady Golovkin & James Kirkland going down next year also... now many people may see that as a mismatch, but just knowing how James Kirkland fights, that may turn into one of the wildest fights of the year.

Golovkin/Kirkland would be a great fight, hopefully once GGG gets through his next defence on Feb 1st, they can make the Kirkland fight somewhere in America in the summer.

He mentioned that Canelo should fight on his undercard, he also said the same for Broner, based on who he is likely to face on May 3rd i can see why he is trying to load the undercard up, if it does under a million buys like his fight against Guerrero did Showtime will not be best pleased and wouldn't surprise me if they really make a push to make the Pacquiao fight happen, I think it's the only way that fight will ever get made, well that and if this tit for tat online continues to get deeper and personal.

• Paid Members

Golovkin/Kirkland would be a great fight, hopefully once GGG gets through his next defence on Feb 1st, they can make the Kirkland fight somewhere in America in the summer.

He mentioned that Canelo should fight on his undercard, he also said the same for Broner, based on who he is likely to face on May 3rd i can see why he is trying to load the undercard up, if it does under a million buys like his fight against Guerrero did Showtime will not be best pleased and wouldn't surprise me if they really make a push to make the Pacquiao fight happen, I think it's the only way that fight will ever get made, well that and if this tit for tat online continues to get deeper and personal.

They did a million with Guerrero, but not much more, that stuff about it selling poorly was guff. They've been trying to minimise Floyds PPV appeal ever since he left top rank infact, they said he'd never be star in the first place. Remember when the Marquez fight was going to be a failure?

Whenever you hear someone saying how poorly a fight did on PPV a few days afterwards then you know it's nonsense. There's always a rush to proclaim a Mayweather failure no matter how baseless a claim it may be.... Yet when hard proof came out about the Pacquiao/Rios fight not even reaching 500k then nobody seems interested.

As for the fight itself happening, of course I would love it, but my reasons to be skeptical remains the same, it's Bob Arum. About a year ago I made a post regarding Pacquiao's finances regarding tax and how he's being robbed blind and how Arum won't co-promote with regards to Pacquiao because he doesn't want anyone poking their nose around. Well all of that is coming to light now with Pacquiao and his troubles with the IRS and BIR. Its a sad situation but Manny is in trouble big time and he needs to start getting rid of certain people like Michael Koncz, whose name was brought up by tax auditing firm VisionQuest after they were hired by Manny to get his finances in order a while back. Not long after they were hired they were let go in favour of a company at the insistence of Bob Arum. VisionQuest released a statement recommending that pacquiao should as Koncz about "ridiculous amounts of money disappearing from Mannys accounts". We know now that the company Arum recommended obviously did not help pacquiao at all so what was the reason for the abrupt letting go of visionquests services?

Some of the obstacles Arum has intentionally put there are quite unbelievable. I mean, whatever happened to the huge stadium he was going to build just for this fight? He had to come up with that one when both fighters were free to fight just before Mayweather went to jail, when the infamous phonecall took place during which Floyd offered the 40million guarantee to Pacquiao with half of it to be wired to him that very day if he agreed.... Pacquiao who has never actually received more than 15million for any fight... He walked away for whatever reason. If Pacquiao had more control of his own decisions, in the way Mayweather has, then this fight would've happened already because the fighters have wanted it for some time. As hard as it might be for some to believe, it took Pacquiao much longer to be willing, for whatever reason.

It's quite a shame that Mayweather took as much abuse as he has during this four year saga. I understand that much of that can be blamed on himself due to some of his antics, but when you look back on the whole drug testing saga when Floyd was called a coward and "using it as an excuse to duck the fight".... While Manny was being supported and praised for refusing random testing, with people saying he would never use PED's because of his faith in god.... this same guy was out banging hookers all night and gambling illegally.

You also can't deny a lot of guys have been caught since Mayweather began forcing this issue.

On a side note, Top rank takes 27 percent from their fighters purses, much more than what is regarded as standard in the game nowadays.

I think there will be a lot of dirt coming out in 2014 regarding Top rank promotions and whilst it will be a bumpy ride to start with, I think it will put a lot of things right in the long run.

They did a million with Guerrero, but not much more, that stuff about it selling poorly was guff. They've been trying to minimise Floyds PPV appeal ever since he left top rank infact, they said he'd never be star in the first place. Remember when the Marquez fight was going to be a failure?

Whenever you hear someone saying how poorly a fight did on PPV a few days afterwards then you know it's nonsense. There's always a rush to proclaim a Mayweather failure no matter how baseless a claim it may be.... Yet when hard proof came out about the Pacquiao/Rios fight not even reaching 500k then nobody seems interested.

As for the fight itself happening, of course I would love it, but my reasons to be skeptical remains the same, it's Bob Arum. About a year ago I made a post regarding Pacquiao's finances regarding tax and how he's being robbed blind and how Arum won't co-promote with regards to Pacquiao because he doesn't want anyone poking their nose around. Well all of that is coming to light now with Pacquiao and his troubles with the IRS and BIR. Its a sad situation but Manny is in trouble big time and he needs to start getting rid of certain people like Michael Koncz, whose name was brought up by tax auditing firm VisionQuest after they were hired by Manny to get his finances in order a while back. Not long after they were hired they were let go in favour of a company at the insistence of Bob Arum. VisionQuest released a statement recommending that pacquiao should as Koncz about "ridiculous amounts of money disappearing from Mannys accounts". We know now that the company Arum recommended obviously did not help pacquiao at all so what was the reason for the abrupt letting go of visionquests services?

Some of the obstacles Arum has intentionally put there are quite unbelievable. I mean, whatever happened to the huge stadium he was going to build just for this fight? He had to come up with that one when both fighters were free to fight just before Mayweather went to jail, when the infamous phonecall took place during which Floyd offered the 40million guarantee to Pacquiao with half of it to be wired to him that very day if he agreed.... Pacquiao who has never actually received more than 15million for any fight... He walked away for whatever reason. If Pacquiao had more control of his own decisions, in the way Mayweather has, then this fight would've happened already because the fighters have wanted it for some time. As hard as it might be for some to believe, it took Pacquiao much longer to be willing, for whatever reason.

It's quite a shame that Mayweather took as much abuse as he has during this four year saga. I understand that much of that can be blamed on himself due to some of his antics, but when you look back on the whole drug testing saga when Floyd was called a coward and "using it as an excuse to duck the fight".... While Manny was being supported and praised for refusing random testing, with people saying he would never use PED's because of his faith in god.... this same guy was out banging hookers all night and gambling illegally.

You also can't deny a lot of guys have been caught since Mayweather began forcing this issue.

On a side note, Top rank takes 27 percent from their fighters purses, much more than what is regarded as standard in the game nowadays.

I think there will be a lot of dirt coming out in 2014 regarding Top rank promotions and whilst it will be a bumpy ride to start with, I think it will put a lot of things right in the long run.

The fight did 900k buys according to what Showtime said, they gave him the 200m dollars for a 6 fight contract, I can't see why they would lie. The PPV figures for Pacquiao are redundent as he isn't American, he will never be bigger in America then Mayweather, fact he fought his last fight in China says it all. His figures before when he fought in America before were much bigger then anyone Mayweather has faced in his career. His problem is looking for excuses, giving reasons why he doesn't need to fight etc I've been over the whole May/Pac debate to last me a lifetime, I'm a huge fan of both, been more a Mayweather fan to be honest since 96 when he competed in the Olympics, I hold the both of them to blame on this, you can take a pick on who's to blame most, I don't believe either have done or wanted the fight enough to make it happen. Easier fighting guys you know you will beat for huge sums and taking it easy.

It is a power thing it always has been, I think that's more between Mayweather and Arum. There's an issue there from years ago and it has resulted in this stalemate where both sides want full control. I blame everyone involved in this whole situation, they ruined it for the fans and basically screwed us out of the biggest fight in boxing history.

Would not surprise me in the least bit of Pac has tax problems, Mayweather had them too, that has no barring on why the fight hasn't taken place so far or is likely to happen. Mayweather is bringing up a lot of things lately to justify not taken the fight, that's all well and good, problem is if he goes on and faces Khan next, his arguments are null and void.

• Paid Members

Anyone see the BT Sport documentary called Cornered that's been on recently? Follows journeyman boxer Johnny Greaves in the run up to his 100th and final fight (his final record overall is 4-96!). It's really good. A different look at boxing from a less glamourous POV. It's repeated 3am Wednesday morning, worth setting to record.

• Paid Members
The fight did 900k buys according to what Showtime said, they gave him the 200m dollars for a 6 fight contract, I can't see why they would lie. The PPV figures for Pacquiao are redundent as he isn't American, he will never be bigger in America then Mayweather, fact he fought his last fight in China says it all. His figures before when he fought in America before were much bigger then anyone Mayweather has faced in his career. His problem is looking for excuses, giving reasons why he doesn't need to fight etc I've been over the whole May/Pac debate to last me a lifetime, I'm a huge fan of both, been more a Mayweather fan to be honest since 96 when he competed in the Olympics, I hold the both of them to blame on this, you can take a pick on who's to blame most, I don't believe either have done or wanted the fight enough to make it happen. Easier fighting guys you know you will beat for huge sums and taking it easy.

It is a power thing it always has been, I think that's more between Mayweather and Arum. There's an issue there from years ago and it has resulted in this stalemate where both sides want full control. I blame everyone involved in this whole situation, they ruined it for the fans and basically screwed us out of the biggest fight in boxing history.

Would not surprise me in the least bit of Pac has tax problems, Mayweather had them too, that has no barring on why the fight hasn't taken place so far or is likely to happen. Mayweather is bringing up a lot of things lately to justify not taken the fight, that's all well and good, problem is if he goes on and faces Khan next, his arguments are null and void.

I was told by Tris Dixon of the Boxing News that the final numbers were roughly 1 million when I was at a Boxing writers awards show a couple of weeks ago. I'm not saying that to try and make myself sound great, but just to show I'm not just pulling it out of my arse. Not much difference in 900 and 1million anyway i suppose.

The PPV numbers are relevant because it determines each guys value, in this situation anyway because the fallout was over the purse split everytime they held discussions along with the Random Testing. Pacquiaos nationality was never brought into it.

Which PPVs did you mean having done much better than Mayweathers? Because I don't believe that to be the case at all. Although it's somewhat of a murky issue regarding Top Rank and HBO because they rarely announced official numbers.

Pacquiao fought in China because he didn't want to pay the heavy Nevada state taxes anymore. The location of the fight shouldn't of made a difference to people wanting to buy it because it was still on live at the same time it would've been had it been in Vegas.

Edited by Taylorslade

• Paid Members
He said Nigel Benn and Roberto Duran attended the Senchenko fight as well which I didn't know. And he said, when asked who he wishes he'd have got to fight - he names Duran, Miguel Cotto and Arturo Gatti. Imagine those fights!

They would've been unbelievable, makes me salivate just thinking about them.

Of all the dream fights involving British fighters which were actually very close to being made at one time, my top choices have to be ;

Naseem Hamed Vs Floyd Mayweather - this one was close several times, the final time being just after Mayweather laid waste to Diego Corrales. The main problem was the weight, Hamed was already pushing it at Featherweight, he was a really small guy, obviously his massive punching power allowed him to be at that weight. I've no doubt his punching power would've carried up through multiple divisions, but at 5'2 you have to wonder how effective he would've been.

Naseem Hamed Vs Arturo Gatti - Same as the above, really. I do know that Gatti really hated Hamed at one point. I remember Sky always had Naz in the backdrop whenever the done one of Gatti's fights, normally using him as an analyst in the studio or having one of those live satellite interviews with him. It was close, but obviously not close enough. One can dream, though.

Ricky Hatton Vs Arturo Gatti - The whole thing was geared up for these two, but Gatti had to get through Alfonso Gomez first, and sadly we know what happened there. A massive shame, even though Gatti was terribly faded, it still would've been awesome and a brilliant atmosphere in Atlantic City with Gatti's fans there and Hattons army making the trip.

Sigh.....

Taylorslade, Wand or whoever, I have a question

Reading Hatton's book, it made me remember he and Junior Witter never fought at their peaks.

How would that fight have gone does anyone think. I am up to late 2008 in the Hatton book, and he does view a lot of his performances as sub-par, the only ones he does not critique in some way are Castillo, Paulie and Kosta, everything else he either made mistakes or there was issues with his camp/health.

To read the book you would think he was a inconsistent fighter in many ways, he is very hard on himself.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
Taylorslade, Wand or whoever, I have a question

Reading Hatton's book, it made me remember he and Junior Witter never fought at their peaks.

How would that fight have gone does anyone think.

Well, I know Frank Warren purposely kept them apart and although I certainly don't agree with everything Warren does, I have to say it was a smart plan at first which worked really well. Hatton was already filling local venues in his first handful of fights and was gaining in popularity especially after he took the British title from John Thaxton. At the same time, Junior Witter wasn't even known outside of his own gym, so when they began to have this tension between eachother Warren saw an opportunity to get Witters name in the spotlight and build to a fight long down the road.

It worked too, whenever Hattons name was brought up in British circles, Witters was also and they were frequently at ringside for eachothers fights. Witter was able to headline a few of his own shows of a fairly high profile off the back of this press, something he would never of been able to do otherwise. He was just horrible to watch, not because he was defensive, but he was just so awkward and it seemed like he could never have a good fight with anyone. I remember when he boxed on the Tyson/Savarese undercard in Scotland against Zab Judah, Showtime weren't too pleased.

Warren had every intention of eventually making the fight, which he believed (as do I) that Hatton would win, but even though he knew Hatton was a massive draw, I don't think he realised Hatton would become such a draw that he could draw such heavy interest from Golden Boy and go to America to command the type of crowds he did. After the Tszyu fight, I think both Witter and Hatton became very restless waiting for the fight to be made, Hatton left to go Stateside expecting Witter to be in a position to make the fight when he came back one way or the other. However, it didn't happen, although it came very close, Witter was almost the opponent for Hatton in his first fight back after the Mayweather defeat, at the City of Manchester Stadium in 2008, but for whatever reason it didn't come together and Juan Lazcano got the job instead.

After that, the interest in the fight began to die down, especially after Witter lost to Timothy Bradley. There was one more time that the fight almost came to fruition, as a crossroads fight after Witters loss to Bradley and Hattons loss to Pacquiao

Edited by Taylorslade