Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I'm hoping we see Mayweather vs Bradley at some point. Two of the most easy to dislike people in boxing. I wouldn't mind seeing either of them get knocked out in spectacular style.

I say Bradley vs Pac 2 is easier to make, both with Top Rank and HBO.

If Pac wins in November, I think it makes sense.

EDIT: Gooner beat me to it.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

thanks for that ^ ill stick it on the planner.

Bradley/Marquez was not a great fight, Bradley is definitely seen as a villain type character now, it's not entirely his fault but he does seem to play up to it. In terms of the fight, if there was ever a fight in which you wanna show people an example of how commentary can sway how you feel about a fight, this is the one. The Sky team would have you believe that Bradley won a shut out (apparently the HBO commentary was the same), but simple fact is i felt Bradley gave away 3-4 towards the end of the fight simply by not doing much of anything, tie that in with a couple of very close rounds and you have a very close decision. Bradley bossed it when he wanted but spent a lot of time moving on the outside flicking out the jab, he fought like he knew he'd already won. It wasn't a performance to capture the imagination of the audience.

...and yep Lomachenko looks the nuts. Gonna be a fun ride watching that guy.

Adam Smith doing an Andre the Giant tribute by standing on a box talking to Big Johnny and Paulie. Classic.

Bradley Mayweather would be horrible. As much as Khan doesnt deserve it, its the most interesting opponent out there for Mayweather.

Thanks for the Hatton prog heads up. Pumped up for gatti ward prog, moreso than any fight in recent memory.

I'm a fan of Marquez, always have been but he needs to stop whining about his losses. Him coming out and saying he's been robbed six times in his career, when he has only lost seven times and the one loss he isn't complaining about is to Mayweather is getting ridiculous now. All these guys just complain or talk the most rubbish. If it isn't Bradley saying he put on a boxing lesson, it's Marquez saying he is fighting the judges and not the fighter in Vegas as he will never get a decision.

Onto better news, Arum has confirmed Salido vs Lomachenko for the WBO title is on for Jan 25th in New York.

• Paid Members

i noticed in Tesco that Ricky Hatton has another book out for the Xmas market. I thought it would be a bit of a continuation of his 1st autobiography which ended around the Mayweather fight (i think), but noooooo, it's his life story again. How does that work?

• Paid Members

I picked up his first autobiography not long ago and only read it a couple of months back. I didn't look at the release date like a prat so I was quite disappointed it stopped before he hit the really big time fights. I think it may have even ended after the Tszyu fight.

I'll still probably get this but it is a bit odd. Surely most of the book will be just rehashing the first one until he gets to 2006/07ish.

Disappointed by Marquez vs Bradley. I really thought that was going to be a great fight but it just didn't catch fire. Sad to see Marquez lose as well. Lomachenko did indeed look fantastic. Nothing else I can really add that hasn't been said already.

Thanks Gooner for the heads up on the Hatton doc, and Fox Piss on the Gatti-Ward Legendary Nights. Don't suppose the Legendary Nights will be televised over here? Probably a watch online job.

i noticed in Tesco that Ricky Hatton has another book out for the Xmas market. I thought it would be a bit of a continuation of his 1st autobiography which ended around the Mayweather fight (i think), but noooooo, it's his life story again. How does that work?

Do not quote me on this, but I believe it could be to do with a certain F.Warren

Old fish eyes sued Hatton for his first book and it was taken off the shelves from what I read, maybe it is revamped version of his old book just up to date, or he started from scratch again.

Heads up on another boxing documentary coming up. I'm sharing now as put on the planner and I know I will forget nearer the time. It's called Cornered and is an insight into the life of journeyman boxer Johnny Greaves, he's barely won a professional fight in his career and the element of the story centers around the role of guys like Johnny who accept fights at short notice against up and coming fighters and his mindset for why he does what he does. It's on BT Sports 1(not sure if many have this channel on here) at 21:00pm on the 22nd of this month.

Schaefer has confirmed that Alexander is facing Porter for IBF title at 147lbs on 30/11 so not sure where that leaves Khan as rumours he will get a rematch with Garcia and I'm assuming winner goes on to meet Mayweather if fight happens in May 14. Malignaggi/Judah and Lara/Trout all done for 07/12. Broner/Maidana for WBA title at 147lbs, Molina/Ortiz for IBF title at 154lbs, Thurman/Soto Karass and Angulo/Melendez all set for 14/12. What a good few weeks that promises to be, the 14/12 card especially stands out as one to stay up for.

ITV4 are bringing back their Sports Life Stories series soon. Last series it was Amir Khan & Barry McGuigan for the boxing contingent, this series will explore the lives of Nicola Adams & Chris Eubank. Didier Drogba, Jermaine Defoe, Eric Bristow & Jimmy White are a few of the others featured.

ESPN aired a new documentary the other night about the Duran/Leonard rivalry and especially the No Mas incident. Its quite good, lots of talking heads from people who were and prominent boxing figures. It culminates with Ray going to meet Duran in Panama to ask why he did what he did in the second fight. The ending is a little bit underwhelming but its a decent watch.

Its up on youtube here if you want to watch.

I revisited the Ward/Gatti trilogy a couple of weeks back. Its a great set of fights but I personally think if Gatti boxed sensibly he would have won all of the fights. The 2nd fight is a boxing masterclass and shows the gulf in skill levels. Its only Gatti's tendency to turn into a wild brawler once he feels Wards left hook (to the body) that sparks the fights into a mass brawl. None of the fights have a belt on the line or are scheduled for 12 rounds, so I find it interesting how these fights clicked with the public to make them legendary in boxing folklore. Was it the working class hero doing good against the premium prizefighter? Finally getting his dues after always being a "nearly there" boxer. They say Micky Ward earned $3m for the three fights. It would be interesting to see what he got paid in the first fight as a fodder opponent compared to the other two, when he turned into a rival.

A rivalry I think is on par or even better would be the fights between Rafael Marquez & Israel Vasquez. Both on long unbeaten runs with a world title on the line. Like Ward/Gatti you've got a boxer and a skilled brawler. Marquez wins the first fight after Vasquez's nose is re-broken and he can't breathe. Vasquez wins the second fight after knocking Marquez down in the sixth round and the referee stops the fight after another flurry of punches. The third fight which I think is the best, is the first to go the distance. Marquez is boxing well in the first six rounds, he knocks down Vasquez in the fourth round. Then Vasquez takes over and comes on strong in the last six. The last round is a seek and destroy mission for Vasquez. He's throwing the kitchen sink at Marquez and its only in the last 20 seconds that Marquez gets rocked and only the ropes keep him up, so its counted as a knockdown. Throw in a point deduction for Marquez for persistent low punching. Vasquez wins a split decision victory by a point. The first three fights happened within a year but it takes two years for the fourth fight to happen. This seems like a money spinner and a chance to get them back in the ring to appease Marquez's disapproval in the last fight. Vasquez who always gets bloody in his fights from eyebrow cuts, comes to the ring with a swollen eyebrow that looks nowhere near healed from his last fight. It doesn't take long for Marquez to target it and the eyebrow is split open instantly. A clash of heads in the second round and the other eyebrow is split open too. With blood streaming down Vasquez's face he can't see the punches coming and takes a knee. With the punishment ongoing and no chance to fight back, the referee has to stop the fight for Vasquez's safety.

A fifth fight was originally planned but Vasquez's trainer and managers had to say no for his health and he retired. The cut from the fourth fight, is something Vasquez couldn't come back from.

What I like about this rivalry is that there is no clear winner in the four fights. The fights Marquez wins are helped by Vasquez being partially injured. The fights Vasquez wins are from a premature stoppage and a split decision which would have been a draw if the errant low blow call wasn't included. Gatti said "fighting Ward was like he was fighting his twin." I think that quote is more fit for these pair because you can't separate how good they were together.