Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

What is wrong with these British referee's. This guy was a comedy act. Constantly out of place for the knockdowns. The 2nd knockdown he was on the other side of the ring, so Kovalev got some extra shots in whilst Cleverly was flailing about trying to take a knee. Then flapping about trying to call the fight off whilst the bell was ringing, so he carried a limp Cleverly back to his corner and let him come out for the fourth. He should of shit-canned the fight then, Cleverly couldn't lift his head in the corner and was in no state to continue.

It rarely works when you go from fgihting bums to facing a killer. I said before the fight was announced that you don't need a Kov in your life. Cleverly didn't need to take the fight, could get bigger pay days and better chances to win in other fights. I give him credit for wanting this fight, but look where it got him.

Holy shit! Kiko Martinez, the guy Carl Frampton beat to win the European title earlier on in the year. Just did a demolition job on the world champion Jhonatan Romero to win the belt, Frampton is after. Martinez was 15th in the IBF rankings but got a title shot anyway maybe because Sergio Martinez is his manager. If Warren & McGuigan stopped harping on about the home advantage and took some educated risks, they could have had a world champion on their hands. Martinez was bonafide over with the US crowd at the end.

Edited by Rossman

It rarely works when you go from fgihting bums to facing a killer. I said before the fight was announced that you don't need a Kov in your life. Cleverly didn't need to take the fight, could get bigger pay days and better chances to win in other fights. I give him credit for wanting this fight, but look where it got him.

its easy to say that after the fight. kovolov hadnt really beat a propper quaulity guy, while cleverly had beat bellew who is a legitimate number one or two contender for the green belt. I dont think Cleverly got found out at all - not that you said that, but others have, i still think he is propper world class, he just fought an extremely hard pucher who managed to catch him. I would still fancy Cleverly over Hopkins and Dawson. Hes still only 26 and will be back. The problem nowadays comes from when people lose their 0 they are written off. Cleverly will adapt and be back and win the championship again i think.

on a side note, barker brought a tear to my eye. what a man.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members

its easy to say that after the fight. kovolov hadnt really beat a propper quaulity guy, while cleverly had beat bellew who is a legitimate number one or two contender for the green belt. I dont think Cleverly got found out at all - not that you said that, but others have, i still think he is propper world class, he just fought an extremely hard pucher who managed to catch him. I would still fancy Cleverly over Hopkins and Dawson. Hes still only 26 and will be back. The problem nowadays comes from when people lose their 0 they are written off. Cleverly will adapt and be back and win the championship again i think.

Really? Cleverlys lack of power is a real concern and it's not like his a master boxer but he stays busy.

Kovalev beat Gabriel Campillo who was a former world champion and thats still one more than Cleverly has faced. You can't even say Cleverly is a world class fighter because he's never fought/beat another world class fighter to draw that comparison. And the world class fighter he did face in Kovalev, he got his arse whipped. He's been protected against such moderate fighters, won an interim world belt which got pumped up to world title and then plateaued. He scraped through against Bellew who's European level at best. Kell Brook was no.1 in the welterweight rankings. Does that make him a world class fighter? After seeing the Boxnation doc about Cleverly, you can see why he never caught on. He's so boring! The documentary highlights were solving a maths equation at his old uni and a chat with Joe Calzaghe about ASDA smart price tea bags.

I said it before the fight, you can go back in this thread for proof of that. Bellew has beat no one to get that number 1 ranking. He has never shown that he's world class, he isn't a great boxer, he isn't a big puncher, he lived of Warren's usual of guys being given the WBO title and making cash off it. He's a good fighter, I'd never take that away from him, but 'world class' not in my eyes. Kov had beat Campillo who was a former world champ.

• Paid Members

Cleverly hs suffered from a few things. Poor promotion has something to do with it, but you have to factor in the politics of boxing.

You can't criticize how Cleverly's way to winning the title, it was Jurgen Braehmer who dropped out of the fight vus giving up his belt, Cleverly was all set to fight Braehmer. After that Cleverly's suffered from being too much of a risk for the other title holders in the division to fight, in hindsight it's easy to say 'Cleverly was never world class', but it's impossible to say that because he'd never stepped up to that level.

Other title holders in the division found a way to avoid fighting Cleverly because he offered nothing to them, and in that regard you can blame Warren's shoddy matchmaking over the past few years. It left Cleverly in a position where he's ended up having to fight Kovalev - who may very well be the best fighter in the division - and remember the only reason Cleverly took the fight is because Bernard Hopkins turned it down. I give the guy props for taking the fight, many wouldn't.

As for the fight, it was clear from all the promotion what the gameplan was, and it apparent on the night, but you can't help but feel that Cleverly just had too much faith in his chin. The guy always gave off the aura tha the believed he was invincible, the talk going in was of 'weathering a storm' and even Paul Smith said pre-fight that Cleverly had the best chin in boxing! He paid the price for that belief.

Love Kovalev's style though, it's tight and traditional but he just has dynamite in his fists, and he's a deadly finisher. It sucked to see Cleverly beaten so comprehensively but im very much on the Sergei Kovalev bandwagon.

Elsewhere on a brilliant card, Enzo Macarinelli rolled back the years and produced an amazing display to defeat Orvill McKenzie, one of the best domestic fights of the year and a real feeling of redemption for Enzo. I think everybody in boxing has called for his retirement but he's stuck to it and produced the goods when no one thought he could.

Then there was Stephen Smith's KO of Gary Buckland which will go down as one of the best KO's of the year in any thing, a dynamite right uppercut that came out of nowhere, holy shit.

smith-buckland%20(3).jpg

• Paid Members

Anyone who missed it, Sky Sports are repeating that 'Gloves Are Off - Super Middleweights' roundtable quite a bit over the next few days. It's got Roy Jones, Chris Eubank, Steve Collins, Joe Calzaghe and Richie Woodhall on there. It was a really good watch from what I recall.

Don't think it's be advertised but the German Boxing card is tonight on Boxnation. Really looking forward to Pulev V Thompson.

If Tony wins this who knows what will happen to his wife...

Ha ha, i havent seen much of Pulev but im gonna put a coupla quid on the tiger at 3-1