Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Got to see and meet Bowe on Thursday as he was down at my local boxing gym. He seemed in good spirits and was friendly with everyone. It's a shame he and Lewis never met in the pro ranks, would have been a great fight.

Looking forward to Froch/Groves and the build up should be good. It's a hard one to judge as Groves is a banger for the most part, but he showed in the Degale fight that he can adapt and box on the back foot which Froch has always struggled with(hence why he was trying to bait Groves yesterday into having a war) I hope the fight is at the o2 as I really wanna go watch it.

Mike Alvarado has signed off on the fight with Ruslan Provodnikov for October in Colorado. I was thinking earlier with Rios, Marquez, Pacquiao, Bradley, Alvardo & Provodnikov all having interchangeable fights within Top Rank. They could put out a super six tournament at welterweight to make some extra money. Throw in Miguel Cotto if he manages to beat Delvin Rodriguez this coming October. I think Cotto is certainly more comfortable at welterweight as opposed to 154lbs because he's punching above his weight in size comparisons. But he should easily beat Delvin who seems to be a perennial feature on ESPN's FNF's. In his last fight he looked fairly lethargic and toothless because he's no spring chicken himself but he didn't have much clout to hurt journeyman Freddy Hernandez, except with the headbutt that got the fight stopped.

Anthony Joshua is turning pro with Matchroom and their aim is be world champion within 3 years. With David Price's exploits, they've got the perfect blueprint on how not to nurture their amateur turned pro fighter. Joshua looked strong as hell in the Olympics and he hits hard. He kind of moves like a 2D scrolling video game though but hr should improve as time goes on.

Showtime/Boxnation have got Knockout Kings II tonight. Andre Berto is up against Jesus Soto Karass. Keith Thurman is facing Diego Chavez for the WBA welterweight belt. Both are undefeated with strong KO records. Omar Figueroa is fighting Nihito Arakawa for the WBC lightweight title. Figueroa is meant to be a good prospect for the future. Showtime are offering a bonus to the best knockout of the night so expect a bunch of blood and guts barn-burners.

If you can get to see Figueroa/Arakawa from last night, I'd seriously recommend it. It was shades of Castillo/Corrales but this one went the distance. They didn't let up, throwing a combined 2000 punches and most of it was at close quarters. Figueroa had damaged his hands from punching so much and Arakawa who went down a couple of times, just got back up and kept throwing.

The Andre Berto career restart didn't go to plan. He hurt his shoulder in an early round and was reluctant to throw with his right hand for the rest of the fight. Soto Karass looked to be on top for most of the fight but was put down by a body shot in the 11th which he contested as a low blow. He came back and looked to hang on for the rest of the fight. Berto has never really bothered with a defense and it let him down again in the last round. He took a wild swing at Karass, who dipped down and wound up a left hook that Berto walked straight into. He went down, then bounced back up with the zombie legs and the referee stopped the fight. If the fight had gone the distance, the judges had it a draw which was harsh of Soto Karass because I thought he did enough to win the fight even with the knockdown in the 11th.

As we predicted/expected Guillermo Jones failed his drugs test in the Dennis Lebedev fight. He had something in his system which makes you piss more and also hides other stimulants. If he wants the WBA to test another of his samples he's got to pay to prove his innocence.

• Paid Members

Beasts_zps8c04668a.png

Two guys stood in front of each other throwing combos galore. Awesome to watch.

The whole card was a joy. 3 great fights. Sometime though i wish we got it at a better time over here but even being tired as hell i loved this show.

• Paid Members

Fuck i looked at the results of the show and it ends up being one of the shows of the year with two FOTY candidates, typical :(

Wonder what they do about Jones-Lebedev? Id love to see a rematch, revenge is in order.

• Paid Members

How was Lebedev's eye after the fight? Did he have any long lasting effects? His eye was grotesque by the stage they finally stopped the fight. I think he looked the worst I have ever seen anyone look.

Edited by nfc90210

There's a new documentary coming out about Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and his life story. The main feature will be the Deuk-Koo Kim fight and the aftermath of that. In the trailer they hint there is a meeting between Mancini and Kim's son. A bit like the Benn/McClennan Fight of their Lives doc. Its got Mickey Rourke, Sugar Ray Leonard & Ed O'Neill doing talking heads.

• Paid Members

That Mancini doc sounds quality. Still got that Legendary Nights special on the Gatti-Ward trilogy coming soon as well. Think HBO said it will air in the 'fall', so maybe next month? Can't wait.

Anyone who missed the Chris Eubank Ringside special a couple of months back, it's repeated a few times this week, it's on one of the Sky Sports channels tomorrow.

Also...

photo_5__gallery_post.JPG

This is going to be fantastic. I haven't been keeping up with boxing as much as I'd like lately, didn't even know that this fight is going to be in China. They're doing it at the Venetian in Macao, which is where UFC did their Cung Le vs Rich Franklin show last November.

I can't stand Rios, so I'm really hoping Pacquiao breaks his losing streak here and scores a spectacular KO. Rios is tough as nails though, it should be a belter.

• Paid Members

Good stuff. Wonder if there's plans to do any more.

The Mancini doc is available to watch on itunes now.

My iTunes is all fucked up for some reason. Just went all wonky on me a few weeks ago and now it just keeps asking me to verify my payment info repeatedly, but it won't let me sign in to do it even though I know the login info is correct. Shitbags. Anyone else had this problem?

Deontay Wilder was back in action last night against former world champion, Siarhei Liakhovich. Liakhovich had not been in the ring for 18 months and like most Deontay fights it didn't go past the first round. The knockout and the effects of it were pretty brutal.

• Paid Members

Look at this lot for the rest of 2013.

Sat Aug 17 - HBO

Daniel Geale vs Darren Barker

Sat Aug 24 - Showtime

Abner Mares vs Jhonny Gonzalez

Fri Sep 6 - Showtime

Seth Mitchell vs Chris Arreola

Sat Sep 7 - HBO

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Bryan Vera

Sat Sep 14 - Showtime PPV

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Canelo Alvarez

Danny Garcia vs Lucas Matthysse

Sat Oct 5

Wladimir Klitschko vs Alexander Povetkin

Sat Oct 5 - HBO

Miguel Cotto vs Delvin Rodriguez

Sat Oct 12 - HBO PPV

Juan Manuel Marquez vs Timothy Bradley

Sat Oct 19 - HBO

Mike Alvarado vs Ruslan Provodnikov

Sat Nov 23 - HBO PPV

Manny Pacquiao vs Brandon Rios

And of course there's Haye vs Fury. Who's Khan fighting next? I'm well out of the loop on my boxing news. I guess pretty much all the above will be on BoxNation and Sky. I know Floyd vs Canelo is on BoxNation. What a loaded finish to the year.