Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

the startling thing is for a pair who have such a ridiculous high KO percentage (im sure they have the best KO ratio's in heavyweight history), they still don't catch on :confused:

I believe there's a sense of resentment from the US because they aren't American, which doesn't help. As you say, they're very rarely in a 12 round bout, taking most of their opponents out, but it's the fact that they rarely get hit, never mind find themselves in trouble. That doesn't make for exciting fights.

• Paid Members
the startling thing is for a pair who have such a ridiculous high KO percentage (im sure they have the best KO ratio's in heavyweight history), they still don't catch on :confused:

I believe there's a sense of resentment from the US because they aren't American, which doesn't help. As you say, they're very rarely in a 12 round bout, taking most of their opponents out, but it's the fact that they rarely get hit, never mind find themselves in trouble. That doesn't make for exciting fights.

yeh that's true, i mean Wladamir did have that air of vunerability which made him the more exciting to watch but he's well and truly closed that hole in his game.

does anyone know if Sky & Barry McGuigan had a fall out? i dunno if i missed anything but i aint seen McGuigan on Sky in a while and Carl Frampton has just signed a deal with Boxnation/Frank Warren (he'll fight on the July Wembley show).

McGuigan wanted to be co-promoter as well as manager to Frampton. Hearn saw this as a conflict of interests and said no you're not doing that. So McGuigan's saddled up with Warren and he said the reason is for more money and the illustrious holy grail of blind promoting, the home advantage. I know that is a load of shite, because McGuigan hand picks Framptons opponents, does the sponsorship, sorts out the media and the arena details. He basically does all of the promoters jobs but wasn't get his due for it. They want to keep everything in house and just use Warren's Boxnation to show the fights.

The downside is Frampton's going to be fighting the bums of this world instead of the Quigg's, Selby's and Galahads we want him to.

• Paid Members

that sucks about Frampton, there's plenty of quality domestic fights out there it'll be a shame if we never get to see em. I hate boxing politics.

Shocked about Fury/Haye though i really didn't think we'd get to see it happen, that's gonna be great. Based on how everyone got on board for Haye/Chisora last year, this one has the potential to be on a whole other level.

does anyone know if Sky & Barry McGuigan had a fall out? i dunno if i missed anything but i aint seen McGuigan on Sky in a while and Carl Frampton has just signed a deal with Boxnation/Frank Warren (he'll fight on the July Wembley show).

McGuigan wanted to be co-promoter as well as manager to Frampton. Hearn saw this as a conflict of interests and said no you're not doing that. So McGuigan's saddled up with Warren and he said the reason is for more money and the illustrious holy grail of blind promoting, the home advantage. I know that is a load of shite, because McGuigan hand picks Framptons opponents, does the sponsorship, sorts out the media and the arena details. He basically does all of the promoters jobs but wasn't get his due for it. They want to keep everything in house and just use Warren's Boxnation to show the fights.

The downside is Frampton's going to be fighting the bums of this world instead of the Quigg's, Selby's and Galahads we want him to.

Quigg isnt on sky though is he? Its probably more likely to happen now then when Frampton was with Hearn. Would be a great fight. Im not sure joe gallacher wants it for quigg yet though.

Haye v Fury would be a great spectacle. Great promos etc..... couldnt see any other result than haye sparking him out. Him and Groves are two of the best finishers in boxing. Once they catch you its over.

• Paid Members

Yeh nice schedule of fights this weekend, ties into my week off nicely. Lopez/Maidana, the Channel 5 bill, Huck/Ofolabi. Then on the MMA front we got the TUF finale, WSOF 3 & KSW from Poland.

Best clear my schedule.

I luckily get my service charge paid for if Haye fights Fury at the MEN, as I am still out of pocket for the service charge on the Charr fight cancellation. Haye vs Fury is something I am willing to pay to see, August would be perfect as I have fuck all going on then.

I think Haye wins, but due to Fury's profile it could do big business and promoted right could even surpass the business done for Froch/Kessler and Haye/Del Boy.

Speaking of Del Boy, he fights Malik Scott next month. I remember Scott for being touted with Dominik Guinn and A-Force as the next generation of Heavies in 2001/2002 time, Scott is still unbeaten and only 32 amazingly.

• Paid Members

Huck vs Afolabi is this weekend as well? Fuck. For some reason I had it in my head that was early July. Sweet, loved their last fight. This is going to be one of those fight weekends where I'm still playing catch-up deep into next week.

• Paid Members

Dawson v Stevenson this weekend too.

Dawson king of the "Light Heavyweights" facing a K.O artist in Stevenson. Winner should face Bellew.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

oh yeh, forgot to list Dawson/Stevenson. Doesn't look like Huck/Afolabi is on any kind of English commentary channel anywhere, that's abit shit.

Had a bit of a chillout this evening with some old boxing, cracked out my DVD of Champions Forever, the documentary that single handidly made me a boxing fan. I remember having an old Mega Drive game called Greatest Heavyweights when i was little and i was fascinated by the boxers in the game, i then picked up a VHS of Champions Forever whilst out shopping with my parents in the sale for about