Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Floyd Mayweather snr made a point in interviews that it'll be difficult for Junior to be seen as one of the greatest of all time due to him being the only really exceptional boxer out there in an age of only good-very good boxers.

Something that happens in nearly every sport, and boxing is no exception, is that everything that happened in the "Good old days" is looked at through rose tinted glasses. No one will ever be as good as Sugar Ray Robinson (I'm no boxing expert but there is no way on earth his exceptional record isn't padded with a good 80% "bums) to some people.

In Football Messi and Zidane will always be seen as a step below Pele and Maradona by some.

In Formula One, no one will ever be as good as Ayrton Senna.

In Golf Tiger Woods will never be as known as the best ever as most will always say it's Jack Nicklaus.

Todays generation will probably start ranking the likes of Mayweather, Woods, Messi as the greatest of all time as they are the only ones we're exposed to.

In Formula One, no one will ever be as good as Ayrton Senna.

There can be no other opinion ;) I agree with your point in principle though, even if I do not agree with some of the examples.

Here is one, if Floyd would have beaten Pac Man in say 2009 when both were at their peak, would that classify Floyd as beating a "great fighter" I mean would you say Pac was at least once a "great fighter" or do people now classify him as just "very good"

Edited by jimufctna24

Ha, I had you in mind with the Senna comparison! :laugh:

I already class Floyd as a great fighter. Admittedly if he'd have fought and beat Pacquaio I don't think it'd even be up for discussion as to him being one of the greatest. I think what separates Mayweather from Pacquaio, apart from his 0 in the L column, is performances like Saturday where he makes good fighters just look ordinary. Pacquaio has been involved in some great wars but he's looked vulnerable. Mayweather is so good that people were claiming he was slowing down because he lost 2 rounds against Cotto!

Yeah I totally agree, I always fancied Floyd to knick if they won, but I was open to Pac doing okay up until around the Mosley and Marquez fights. Styles make fights and all that, but Pac did not perform as well as people thought he would in those fights. The Bradley fight was one of the biggest robberys I have ever seen, that is his best performance in the recent times.

Amazingly, even now if it Floyd vs Pac got made I would be hyped for it. Instead Pac is facing Brandon Rios next in November! And people question who Floyd faces.

There's a couple of world title fights on this weekend. Ricky Burns has got his Matchroom debut against unbeaten Puerto Rican Jose Gonzalez. Gonzalez looks like he's got a decent record but its all from fights in his homeland so how good he really is, is yet to be determined.

Also you've got Jamie McDonnell & undefeated Mexican banger, Julio Ceja squaring off for the vacant IBF Bantamweight world title. McDonnell's promoter Dennis Hobson won the purse so the fight is going to take place in McDonnell's home town of Doncaster at the Keepmoat Stadium. But when he tried to sell the fight out to different broadcasters, everyone turned him down. Boxnation have got an empty schedule this weekend. A home fighter, world title fight would be just the ticket when your opposition is showcasing their newest acquisition. Alas, the fight is going to be on PrimeTime and is going to be

• Paid Members

if the numbers are bad it'll be interesting to see what Showtime do for the next fight, maybe they'll try putting the Canelo fight together...whereas i guess they'd try holding out on that one to later on in the contract.

if anyone has a Sky Box at hand, can anyone see if there's repeats of the Jamie McDonnell fight on Sunday on Primetime (channel 498), it's a PPV but im out tomorrow night when it's aired...can't see repeat listings on the website.