Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I had a feeling, as soon as I saw Butch's post at the top there, that Audley had called it a day.

He had an eventful career, it was a rollercoaster of ups and downs. You never really knew what to expect from an Audley fight and he could talk himself up like almost no other. He had his moments but he definitely underachieved. Coming out of the Olympics, with his charisma and all that, he could have been a huge star and the successor to Lennox's throne. Still, he provided many an entertaining night.

Wonder what he'll do now. Will he stay around boxing as a trainer, commentator, maybe even go into promoting? A-Force Promotions has a nice ring to it and he certainly knows his way around a microphone. I can't see him as the type to settle into a quiet retirement, but you never know.

That pussy Price obviously paid A Train a lot of money to stand aside as it is the only way he would become king of the Brits.

And, ebb. You went on the ride with him? Did you roast someone with him?

• Paid Members

Ha, brings new meaning to A-Force.

Speaking of arseholes and violence, I've been reading The Life and Crimes of Don King. I'm not far in, I'm up to where he's only just got out of jail and is breaking into boxing promoting.

Good read already though. The stuff on him murdering a guy named Sam Garrett is rough to read. He beat him to death, stomped him and pistol-whipped him in full view of many witnesses as Garrett begged. He was killed because he owed King $600 and his last words were "Don, I'll pay you the money". Even more shocking was when the police turned up during the attack;

The first thing Detective Tonne noticed from the radio car was a man's head bouncing off the asphalt pavement like a rubber ball. Then he saw a large man standing over him with a gun in his right hand, applying another kick to the head.

Tonne and Horvath jumped out of their radio car, drew their guns, and ordered the larger man to drop his weapon.

"Donald, don't kick him no more, he's hurt," a voice in the crowd said.

"Drop it!" Tonne said, with the urgent intensity of pumping adrenaline.

Don King turned slowly to place his weapon on the trunk of a parked car. As Tonne scooped the gun off the car, King got in one last vicious kick that Tonne would never forget.

Tonne handcuffed the man he did not recognize. But King recognized the police detective.

"Tonne," he said, "you don't have to cuff me. I'm Donald King."

King had the cheek to plead self defense.

Then as the police tried to build a case against him, gradually all the witnesses who were originally willing to testify, all started to either change their minds or just vanished. Some were thought to be paid off and others were threatened and ran out of town. King was apparently bragging that he'd spent $30K to get rid of witnesses and even bet $5,000 that he'd never serve a day in jail for the murder.

bcb4aec7ebe0649bb55c8754a2408835.jpg

He tried to bribe the police as well. Also the judge during King's trial was dodgy as fuck and King wound up only serving 3 years and 11 months of what was looking like being a life sentence.

At 4:30 P.M. on February 23, the jury of eight women and four men began their deliberations. It took them only four hours to return with a verdict of guilty of second-degree murder, punishable by life in prison. Judge Hugh Corrigan suspended execution of King's life sentence in the Ohio Penitentiary pending a motion for a new trial by King's attorney, James Willis.

Judge Corrigan did this in the privacy of his chambers. No one was present representing the prosecutor's office. No one was present representing the Cleveland Police Department. There was no court reporter or stenographer present. Only King's lawyer, Jim Willis, was present.

Twenty-four years later, Homicide Detective Carl DeLau told me:

"This had to be a fix. This was a serious miscarriage of justice. I never saw anything like this in thirty years on the Cleveland police force," DeLau continued. "I know I wasn't there. Bob Tonne wasn't there. Ralph Sperli wasn't there. There never was a proceeding in open court. There was just a docket entry, just a signature of Judge Corrigan on a piece of paper. I'm ashamed to say that Hugh Corrigan is a former Cleveland police officer."

Years later Judge Corrigan was running for the Court of Appeals and King, I guess returning a favour, arranged for Muhammad Ali to campaign for him. Even saying: "As far as I know, I'm the only candidate in the country with Ali's endorsement. He usually doesn't do this kind of thing, King tells me."

Anyone seen the 'Only In America' film with Ving Rhames playing King? I haven't seen it yet but it's on Youtube;

Don King: Only In America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJG0UKgGtPI

Any good? I was thinking of having a watch of that when I finish the book.

There's also this documentary;

Don King: Unauthorized

which goes into all the grizzly details of the murder as well as his underhandedness in boxing. And there's also a rare clip of him losing his temper in public, going spastic at Jack Newfield, the man who ended up writing the above book. Well worth a watch.

Like I said, it's a fascinating read already and he hasn't even got rolling in boxing yet where I'm up to. One thing I didn't even realise, and it's mad when you think of it - King listened to Ali vs Frazier 1 on the radio while in jail in 1971. By 1975 he was promoting Ali vs Frazier 3: 'The Thrilla In Manila' and was a millionaire.

donking031.jpg

• Paid Members

Canelo Alvarez vs Miguel Cotto looks to be in the works for September 14th at Cowboys Stadium.

And the current plan from Golden Boy is for Danny Garcia to fight the Matthysse-Peterson winner on Sep 7th.

"That's the plan. Danny Garcia will return on September 7th and I would like for him to fight the winner of Lucas Matthysse and Lamont Peterson. This fight will be the lead-in to our big pay-per-view on September 14th. We want to have a big fight the week before the pay-per-view," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.

It's all go for September.

I'd guess if Canelo beats Cotto, him vs Mayweather next May seems the likely fight to make, on the big Mexican holiday weekend.

Martin Murray and Spencer Oliver both tipped Guerrero on Ringside this week. I think Guerrero will go for it but ultimately will get picked off to much. Cant see past a Mayweather pts victory. I hope they dont have those two Goons commentating who did the Cotto/Mayweather fight. Would be funny to see Mayweather lose after Showtime have spent all that wedge on him.

Ive warched the first two all access things, will watch the 3rd one tonight? Is there 3 or 4?

• Paid Members

I'd get up a bit before 5 Jim. It's listed to air until 6am but they rarely do. I haven't seen a proper schedule but Floyd and Guerrero will probably be in the ring somewhere between 4-5am I'd guess.

Floyd on points for me as well. I've watched the first 2 All Access episodes, I'll have to try to catch up later. Been excellent so far.

I'm not sure why, but I pretty much have zero interest in watching Floyd fight these days. He's that obsessed with protecting that fucking 0 at the end of his fight record that he's not been involved in the big fights of late, and I'm not interested in seeing him fight safe and take home a points victory.

I'll tune in live when he decides to take on Alvarez.