Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

when i watch a HBO or Showtime broadcast though it makes it feel special, they pull out all the stops. Boxnation is just dirtcheap. I imagine the Burns/Mitchell fight will be better on the weekend as it's one of the bigger shows the channel are putting on themselves, have to wait and see.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, Channel 5 are putting on the best looking boxing shows in this country at the moment, their coverage is fresh looking and it's entertaining.

Boxnation needs to be in HD too!

Although not fresh in my memory, 5's boxing looks like shit in my opinion. Its not quite Boxnation's "lets have the pundits stand about infront of the crowd cause we cant afford a studio", but it certainly doesnt look great.

• Paid Members

i disagree, the shows are streamlined and they are fun to watch. The video packages they present are great, they bring over Al Bernstein who's one of the best commentators in the game and they just come across great on the TV. It's all a matter of opinion i guess, but i like it.

• Paid Members

I like 5's presentation as well. And I like Bernstein. It is all a matter of taste though. I think their shows look pretty professional and I've enjoyed watching Eubank Jr and Galahad progress on there.

It's just Hennessey spouting utter bollocks that is the only drawback of 5's Boxing coverage for me. Anyone remember him calling one of Fury's fights (vs Chisora maybe?) "the British Hagler-Hearns"? :laugh:

Martinez/Chavez was all drama. For 11 rounds it was a schooling, i was loving it though, Chavez came off as a bit of a slacker in the 24/7 and it was as if he was getting taught a boxing lesson for his troubles...then what does he do? redeems himself in round 12 in one of the craziest last rounds in boxing history.

You honestly believe he redeemed himself by doing what he did in the last round? I tend to believe that round papered over the cracks a little.

• Paid Members

oh it definitly papered over the cracks, but have you ever heard talk of a rematch at Dallas Cowboy's Stadium coming off the back of such a one-sided first fight?

Chavez was treated like a hero at the end, the fans were going batshit crazy and the talk was of him living up to his father's name. It's crazy when you think about how bad he looked for 11 rounds but the final round is what people are going to remember. Chavez is probably an even bigger star than he was going in, they will sell it as 'he proved he can do it'.

• Paid Members
Shaun Cummins, former WBA Light-Middleweight Inter-Continental Champion, was recently murdered and his body parts found in his various freezers. He'd been paralysed from the chest down since going headfirst through a car window whilst on his bike a few years ago and so was entirely bedbound.

Shaun was involved in some unsavoury things and company at times and so, I suppose, his coming to a violent end shouldn't be an absolute surprise but the dismemberment adds a particularly nasty, gruesome element to his sad end. A man appeared in court this weekend charged with his murder.

Source

Jesus, that's a mental story. Thanks for posting that.

oh it definitly papered over the cracks, but have you ever heard talk of a rematch at Dallas Cowboy's Stadium coming off the back of such a one-sided first fight?

Chavez was treated like a hero at the end, the fans were going batshit crazy and the talk was of him living up to his father's name. It's crazy when you think about how bad he looked for 11 rounds but the final round is what people are going to remember. Chavez is probably an even bigger star than he was going in, they will sell it as 'he proved he can do it'.

Yeah, it's weird how everyone always looks at him in his dad's shadow (understandably) no matter how many fights he won, yet him almost staging that comeback against Martinez seems to have done more good for him than any of his wins in the eyes of the Boxing fans/media. He had to show heart which a lot doubted he had. And for Mexicans heart is the thing you're measured by more than anything as a fighter.

I hope it was an eye opener for him though and he realises that he'll need to fully commit to training if he wants to hang with the top level guys.

Edited by wandshogun09

i disagree, the shows are streamlined and they are fun to watch. The video packages they present are great, they bring over Al Bernstein who's one of the best commentators in the game and they just come across great on the TV. It's all a matter of opinion i guess, but i like it.

actually your right, there packages are good. its the whole look of 5 as a channel that's probably made me think that.

• Paid Members

Rumours going about that Ricky Hatton's opponent for November could be Michael Katsidis.

And the rumours have started from Lee Beard's (Hatton's trainer) twitter account so it's reliable.

heard @realrickyhatton opponent cud be Katsidis,good choice for him,i think ricky wud be in total control of him,slow coming in, easy to hit

That's a fight I always thought about. Would have been a war when both were in their primes but I think it could still be a cracking fight now to be fair. Of course we don't know exactly what we're getting with Hatton now but if this becomes official I'll be well chuffed.

• Paid Members

Marijuana's always a weird one, i can't surely be seen as cheating, but fucking stupid?!?! no doubt.

Chavez looks like he loves a smoke though, it probably explains his stupid training regime too.

I'd love to for it to be Hatto/Katsidis.

• Paid Members

Katsidis was saying a while back on Buncey that he always wanted the Hatton fight as well. And this was before the comeback talk started.

It's a risky first fight back for Hatton if it happens because Katsidis is a fucking scrapper. It's not always pretty but he goes balls out for the win every time. But its one I've wanted to see for years.

I always wished we got Gatti vs Hatton and Katsidis as well. Just imagine them fights.

• Paid Members

yeh i plan on watching both tomorrow before the UFC (out tonight), i'd have Burns on point if i had any cash but 40/1 round odds are great, ive only ever picked it right once (Danny Williams ko'ing Scott Gammar in the 7th i think) a few years ago.