Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I see Ryan Rhodes today announced that he's decided to call it a day.

I feel he's made the right call at 35.

Being from South Yorkshire myself he's alwayd been someone I've watched on a regular basis, have enjoyed many of his fights

over the years and he seems a decent fella outside the ring.

I wish him all the best.

He'd have never coped with Lewis imo

He certainly didn't

heres a photo of him from just 4 or 5 years back

Tommy_Morrison_-_Pose_sem_camisa_-_Arquivo.jpg

he looks a state, with his pec implants and such, but he doesn't look like he's dying or anything. Crazy to think he actually fought as recently as 2008 in pro boxing, and had unsanctioned MMA bouts after that I think, too.

It could easily be meth thats made him look so bad but I've heard that his family think he will die soon. He also beleives he can teleport lol

Edited by HeavyT

• Paid Members

HeavyT - yeah I saw Lewis vs Morrison. I meant that I don't think Morrison would have coped with Lewis under any circumstances like say if they fought at a different time or Morrison had his shit together more etc. I always felt like Lennox was just an awful style match for Morrison.

is the Mercer KO the most brutal in Boxing history? the only one that comes close is the Gatti/Gamache one in my mind. Morrisons gets hit with about 6 KO punches in one combination.

Yeah I was going to mention Gatti vs Gamache actually. Vicious KO, Gamache never fought again. Mercer vs Morrison was one I was shouting at the TV for the ref to step in when I first saw it, and that had to be a good 10 years after the fact.

Off the top of my head, some of the most scary KOs I can think of...

Ray Mercer vs Tommy Morrison

73262_o.gif

Arturo Gatti vs Joey Gamache

gatti_gamache.gif

Aaron Pryor vs Alexis Arguello 1

2659011_o.gif

Julian Jackson vs Herol Graham

20305Jackson_KO_Graham.gif

Julian Jackson vs Terry Norris

2635496_o.gif

Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton

b5mott.jpg

Mike Tyson vs Marvis Frazier

2401054_o.gif

Gerry Cooney vs Ken Norton

Ken_Norton_vs._Gerry_Cooney_._Fasan.jpg

Sergio Martinez vs Paul Williams

sergiowilliams.gif

Tommy Hearns vs Roberto Duran

2596800_o.gif

The gifs don't really do justice to the Pryor/Arguello and Jackson/Norris stoppages. Both Arguello and Norris were down for a while after. And couldn't find a gif but Cooney vs Norton was brutal to watch, Norton took a bunch of bombs and was just slumped in his corner at the stoppage.

There's a load more nasty KOs but these are the ones that stick out to me.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

great stuff as always wand.

Freddie Flintoff is going to become a heavyweight boxer!!

Link

the build up and fight will be live on Boxnation :laugh: i'll be watching.

speaking on Boxnation, check the revised lineup for the next two months:

SEPTEMBER

Friday 7th - BoxAcademy London - Tony Conquest v Ian Tims

Saturday 8th - Vitali Klitschko v Manuel Charr

Friday 14th - Billy Joe Saunders v Jarrod Fletcher

Saturday 15th - Saul Alvarez v Jose Lopez

Saturday 15th - Yoan Pablo Hernandez v Troy Ross

Saturday 22nd - Ricky Burns v Kevin Mitchell

Saturday 29th - Alexander Povetkin v Hasim Rahman

OCTOBER

Saturday 13th - David Price v Audley Harrison

Saturday 20th - Danny Garcia v Erik Morales

Saturday 20th - Paul Malignaggi v Pablo Cesar Cano

Saturday 27th - Denis Lebedev v Guillermo Jones

Saturday 27th - Nathan Cleverly vs Vyacheslav Uzelkov

well worth my ten bucks, fair play to em!

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

yeh it is!

ive watched the Ward/Dawon and Martinez/Chavez 24/7's in the past couple of days.

Ward/Dawson (which is only 1 parter im gathering?) was alright, it's just a case of there aint much to latch onto story-wise. It's two straight-laced guys that get their business done in the ring, no shit talking, no backstory, so it was hard to get really pumped. It just emphasised that there's gonna be two world class guys going at it on Saturday night. I think Andre Ward is lacking that X Factor he needs to really put him on the map, if he had it he'd probably be a superstar already.

Chavez/Martines part 1 was better. It played on the history of Chavez and profiled his unconventional approach to fighting. He ripped on Martinez' age too saying he should hang them up at 37...Martinez response is to guarantee a knockout come the 15th. I can't wait for this shit!

There's an All Access Alveraz/Lopez doing the rounds too...i love this hype.

Links...

Alvarez/Lopez: All Access (Episode 1)

Martinez/Chavez: 24/7 (Episode 1)

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Yeah Chavez going on about Martinez retiring was a bit silly I thought. Especially considering Daddy Chavez didn't hang the gloves up until he was 43 or 44. Martinez is doing just fine and making money. No reason to stop if he still wants to fight.

Who's everyone picking for these two fights? I like Ward on points and Martinez by stoppage around the 10th.

• Paid Members

ill take Ward by decision too, that's how everyone seems to have it.

I want Martinez to win, id like to see him win by stoppage too but Chavez has a habit of upsetting the odds and proving people wrong. It's gonna be great.

There are so many fights on over the next two weeks, I think a few promising bouts have been lost in the shuffle.

Tony Bellew is fighting Colombian, Edison Miranda tonight on Sky Sports. Both heavy hitters with decent knock out rates, Miranda has fought a lot of top line talent like Pavlik, Ward, Bute & Abraham but has always lost. So he's good but not world class level. Bellew will have his hands full but if he comes out with gusto like he did against Cleverley and pressuries Miranda he should get the job done.

Another fight which has been moved around on dates and cards is the Olusegun Ajose (30-0, 14 KO