Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Bute got a UD against Glen Johnson.

Froch got a MD against Glen Johnson (Poor judging Froch should of been ahead on all cards.)

Bute thought no major names but he was bookies and most experts favorite too. Must of been shown something in his past fights.

• Paid Members

Anyome care to chime in on why Froch has never really captuted the public's imagination in the way Calzaghe, Hatton did? neither of those of those guys have a resume to match Froch's in terms of sheer quality of opponent.

I aint saying Froch is better than either, but i do feel he should be respected on the same level.

Anyome care to chime in on why Froch has never really captuted the public's imagination in the way Calzaghe, Hatton did? neither of those of those guys have a resume to match Froch's in terms of sheer quality of opponent.

I aint saying Froch is better than either, but i do feel he should be respected on the same level.

He never had the right promotor for years, so he did not get SKY's marketing behind him like Hatton did. When Warren left SKY, Froch signed with Eddie Hearn and the rest is history, he is now one of the biggest names in British boxing.

Calzaghe was seen as the best at his weightclass, Froch was in his shadow a bit. Its a shame because I actually think Joe is a tad overated, as you said Calzaghe resume is not filled with that many quality oppenents or fighters in their prime. Jeff Lacy was overhyped and Jones/Hopkins/Eubank/Benn were over the hill, some even think Hopkins was robbed. Kessler is the best he faced in my view

Edited by jimufctna24

Did Calzaghe ever make major money?

I would think so. He went stateside for his last few fights and headlined fights in that massive stadium in Wales. He never caught on with me though, a bit like Lennox Lewis, very good fighter but he did not have the heart of the British public like Hatton and others had. He may have been massive in Wales though.

He even complained about it himself, and had a go at Frank Warren who responded that his intravert nature was the reason he never became that big.

Its a weird one to be honest.

We can point to him being poorly promoted early in his career but he wasn't creating a massive buzz or further interest when boxing on ITV on a Saturday night.

His fights are more often than not electric and create many talking points, he ducks nobody, shows respect, remains confident in his own ability and speaks well. He also seems pretty open and honest.

He seems to have it all and tick all the boxes. I guess he could do more cross over media work, like the odd chat show, sports quiz like Question of Sport etc...

Calzaghe, I thought was never a big name in Britain to be honest, given his talent and career. Perhaps in Wales he was known and had a good following but he only started making ripples with the casual boxing fan towards the end of his career. Joe appearing on Strictly Come Dancing after calling it a day has made him more well known I would say than anything during his boxing career.

• Paid Members

i might see Calzaghe from a Welshman's point of view so it's hard for me to tell, he's a household name round these parts.

Froch for my money is still a guy that's only really known by boxing fans. Calzaghe, Hatton, Bruno, Hamed they are all guys the average joe on the street will know of.

i might see Calzaghe from a Welshman's point of view so it's hard for me to tell, he's a household name round these parts.

Froch for my money is still a guy that's only really known by boxing fans. Calzaghe, Hatton, Bruno, Hamed they are all guys the average joe on the street will know of.

If thats was true I think it will change now.

Froch drew 650k viewers to SKY on Saturday, broke records as well. I am loving SKY's new approach to Boxing now Warren has left. I would rather watch Froch, Price and Khan than anyone in Warren's stable to be honest.

Bellew and De Gale are also meant to be leaving Warren

Part of Froch's problem is that the combination of his plain-spokeness, his confidence and his hands-down Detroit-style defence means that people in this country long considered him smug and arrogant, especially given he didn't get the "exhibition" matchmaking of Frank Warren.

• Paid Members

yeh, i think everyone makes valid point. It's strange how a boxer's professional career can be determined by so many factors. Froch deserves all the plaudits he gets though, you'd think based on his record and the guys he's fought that he'd be a national hero.

On the similar subject, currently reading Johnny Nelson's book, there's a guy that had no love from the public. Nelson was a little before my time as a boxing fan so im unfamiliar with his career but he was f'n hated! There's a chapter in there about his first world title fight against Carlos De Leon in which Nelson reportedly danced around the ring not doing alot, he was a national hate figure after that. There's a running joke on Ringside now about Nelson's boxing style, Johnny seems to take it in good spirits though.

Nelson1005.jpg

We made reference to reading books then going back and checking the incidents within and that's what's ive got with Nelson's book...the De Leon fight is considered one of the worst world title fights of all time, but i really wanna see it :)

Anyone around when Nelson was in his hey-day?

• Paid Members

I haven't seen Nelson vs De Leon either. To be honest, I've hardly seen any of his fights. Only one or two of his later fights I think and nothing sticks in the memory for me. He always had the rep of being boring so I never really took time to seek out his fights older fights. I might give the De Leon fight a look at some point though, just out of morbid curiosity.

Oh and Floyd Mayweather's 3 month prison sentence has begun

145546491_extra_large_medium.jpg

145547017_extra_large.jpg