Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Well after Dana White's fairly positive comments yesterday, I've just seen this today.

White's comments on Larry 'Senile' Merchant

"It's my big beef with Merchant for years. These guys get done fighting and he jumps in the ring and just starts saying off-the-wall, weird, rude [expletive] to these guys. Who the hell would want to do an interview with him? It's probably the thing they dread worse than training and cutting weight and everything, is their interview with Larry Merchant. It's ridiculous."

"I actually thought that that was very embarrassing for HBO. The guy is senile, he's out of his mind. He's up there berating Floyd, but Floyd can't say anything back to you? You've been disrespecting guys your whole career, and guess what, you can go back 60 years, you're not kicking Floyd's ass, okay? Give me a break. And what's Floyd going to do? A 102-year-old guy just said that to him."

"Realistically, when you look at it, boxing puts on two big fights a year. Two big fights a year. They [expletive] up one of them. The referee destroyed that fight. He destroyed it. ...That was a multi-, multi-million dollar fight that this one guy destroyed. Because I don't know about you guys, but I was watching the fight, I would have liked to have seen how that really would have ended."

"The last thing that I want to have happen is that, to me, on FOX."

Bit harsh on Vodka breath that.

From the sun

THE sweet science may have found a new permanent home following the launch of TV channel BoxNation.

Fight fans will now be able to enjoy the best bouts from around the world in one place, thanks in no small part to promoter Frank Warren.

The station, which will be available on Sky channel 456, Virgin and online, will broadcast its first live fight on September 30 when Liam Walsh takes on Paul Appleby at London's iconic York Hall.

BoxNation will be free to view until later in the year, when it switches to a subscription service costing

• Paid Members

nice! i didn't know the station intended on showing live fights, i likes it!

Evander Holyfield will get another crack at a proper world title when he fights Alexander Povetkin in December. Holyfield will never die!!

• Paid Members
I can't fucking stand Warren but I just know I'm gonna end up paying for this.

2 live shows a week AND the return of Bunce's Boxing Hour. I'm in.

They are supposed to be picking up some MMA as well.

Taken from the 606 forum, this is a list of the fights that are being shown by BoxNation over the next few months. There's some good stuff in there.

http://www.606v2.com/t14524-boxnation-sche...ence-first-post

BoxNation Schedule & Press Conference (First post)

Post by Scottrf Today at 12:45 pm

Thought it deserved a thread of its own. Looks pretty impressive.

30th Sept

The Commonwealth Super-Featherweight Title

Liam Walsh vs Paul Appleby

Programme starts @ 7pm

01ST Oct

WBA/IBF CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE

Steve Cunningham vs Pablo Hernandez

Programme starts @ 7pm

05th Oct

World Amateur Boxing Championships - Quarter Finals

Live from Baku Programme starts @ 12.00 - 14.30

then 15.30 - 18.00(UK time)

07th Oct

Amateur Boxing

UK Military vs US Military

Programme starts @ 7pm

World Amateur Boxing Championships - semi finals

Live from Baku

Programme starts @ 11.30 - 14.00

then 15.30 - 18.00(UK time)

08th Oct

World Amateur Boxing Championships - Finals

Live from Baku

Programme starts @ 10.00 - 14.00

15th Oct

The WBO World Light-Heavyweight Title

Nathan Cleverly vs Tony Bellew

The European Super-Middleweight Title

Piotr Wilczeski vs James DeGale

Programme starts @ 7pm

The WBC World Light-Heavyweight Title

Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson

LIVE FROM STAPLES CENTRE, LA

Programme starts @ 7pm

21st Oct

The British Cruiserweight Championship

Robert Norton vs TBA

Programme starts @ 7pm

22nd Oct

WBO/WBC Cruiserweight Title

Marco Huck vs Krystof Wlodarczyk

LIVE - SAUERLAND GERMANY

Programme starts @ 7pm

28th Oct

British Welterweight Title

Frankie Gavin vs Lee Purdy

Programme starts @ 7pm

05th Nov

The WBO Interium World Lightweight Title

Ricky Burns vs Michael Katsidis

The WBO Intercontinental Lightweight Title

Kevin Mitchell vs TBA

The British & Commonwealth Super-Middleweight Title

George Groves vs TBA

The Vacant English Super-Bantamweight Title

Ryan Walsh vs Liam Richards

Programme starts @ 7pm

Mikel Kessler vs Robert Stieglitz

LIVE - SAUERLAND GERMANY

Programme starts @ 7pm

18th Nov

British & Commonwealth Featherweight Title

Lee Selby vsJohn Simpson

Programme starts @ 7pm

Last edited by Scottrf on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

• Paid Members
Mayweather ducking Khan? Not a chance. Infact, I would bet my last penny that Floyd looks at Amir Khan and sees $$$$$$ . He sees the chance to box in the UK also, which is something he has legitimatley wanted for years, it's not a PR spin. People might not agree, but I think Khan would be an easy night for Floyd. But you never know, and I would certainly pay to find out.

If he sees money then why is he backing down off of his promise to fight him if he beat Mayweathers guy? If that makes sense, Im going from knowing very little, even names. :laugh:

• Paid Members
Mayweather ducking Khan? Not a chance. Infact, I would bet my last penny that Floyd looks at Amir Khan and sees $$$$$$ . He sees the chance to box in the UK also, which is something he has legitimatley wanted for years, it's not a PR spin. People might not agree, but I think Khan would be an easy night for Floyd. But you never know, and I would certainly pay to find out.

If he sees money then why is he backing down off of his promise to fight him if he beat Mayweathers guy? If that makes sense, Im going from knowing very little, even names. :laugh:

The fighter you are talking about is Jesse Vargas, who has been under the Mayweather stable and trained under Roger Mayweather since he was eight years old. Mayweather stated at the post fight press conference that he was just trying to get his fighter a break, but Vargas looked horrendous on the Mayweather/Ortiz undercard, so whatever slim chance Vargas had of landing a fight with Khan, practically went out of the window, because when you are fighting at the level they are commercially, then you need to be able to sell it to the TV networks and the consumers.

If Jesse Vargas was not managed by Mayweathers team, then nobody would be talking about him fighting Amir Khan, Vargas hasn't done anything of note since he turned professional and certainly not enough to be landing fights with the likes of Khan. If Vargas had looked good last week, then the fight could've been a possibility but it would be incredibly naieve of Amir Khan and his team to think that Mayweather would've automatically been next. The bottom line, is that Mayweather was just trying to get his fighters name brought into the discussion, because name recognition is everything.

Anyone who seriously thought that the plan of "fight Vargas to get Floyd in the ring" was for real, then those people are straight-up crackheads.