Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Merchant's a God. Floyd wants none of him. He backed right off when Larry squared up to him.

Rest of the card was top. Vargas/Lopez was a cracker. Wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it. Had Lopez winning by a round but could have went either way.

Great to see Morales get a solid win, Cano isn't a top level fighter but still, seeing Morales at this point in his career put a beating on an undefeated 21 year old fighter was impressive. If he does decide to have one more fight I'd like to see that 4th Barrera fight or maybe Marquez if he loses to Pacman as expected. Big name fight to go out on.

Alvarez/Gomez was exciting as expected, Alvarez is a beast, dont really like the Mayweather defence he tries with the left hand down though, he takes shots he doesnt need to by doing that cos he doesnt move his head like Floyd does in that position. Still, when he came forward it was clear Gomez couldnt hack it. Nice finish.

Was happy to see the old Setanta boys Bunce and Kerr back in the studio aswell.

• Paid Members

What a nonsense that was. I agree everybody is to blame, but it's up to the ref to actually referee the thing fair. The guy is a waste of space.

A Mayweather win was coming, as Ortiz wasn't really landing while Mayweather was.

Larry Merchant was the star of the show, it was like Tyson and Austin. If Vince had any sense he'd book it for 'Mania.

Edited by Blackson Jackson

• Paid Members

a friend of mine just walked in and told me the result, ive never been so pissed off in my life. Tosser!

crazy ending though, surely they can appeal that? i know they are meant to protect themselves at all times but after a break they have to wait for the ref. to instruct them to continue, don't they?

• Paid Members

hahaha, the Merchant/Mayweather thing was brilliant. Mayweather showed his true colours straight away, he started off respectful and soon reverted back to being an absolute arse. Merchant didn't say anything unjustified in my opinion.

• Paid Members

After the Pacquiao/Marquez fight, there's absolutely nothing more left for Mayweather or Pacman. They need to make the fight happen next year, otherwise I think they'll do something worse than not fighting at all, which is fighting when they're both past their prime.

Fury vs Firtha was all kinds of fun. Agree with Ebb the stoppage might have been a tad early but chances are it just saved Firtha more of a beating. He had his moment in the 3rd i don't think he had much left to offer.

Still can't stand Fury but it can't be denied his fights are usually entertaining even if not the most technical. I don't see him doing that well against higher level opponents but his fights are worth tuning in for.

Five's coverage was top notch again. I hope this becomes a regular thing now.

If 5"s coverage was so top notch, How come we got to see a blank screen from rounds 2 to 5 ? :rolleyes:

yeh certain people's tv's went off, they re-showed the fight later in the broadcast.

luckily mine didn't go off :)

Yes they did re-show the fight, But it does somewhat kill the moment when you have to watch the rounds in the wrong order. They never even put a message up on the screen. It may sound harsh, But when you really plug a programme as the flagship event of the week for Channel 5, then someone should get sacked for that booboo IMO?

Mayweather is best to just stay retired. He's a joke. I know he's evasive and hard to hit, and he has the record to boast about, but he's slowly losing PPV appeal and I doubt that any fight outside of Pacquiao fight really matters.

Ortiz wasn't winning the fight, but Mayweather wasn't really troubling him either. He would most likely have won on points, but we'll never know.

I'm glad I didn't pay for it! :laugh: