Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Anyone see the other fights on the weekend? James DeGale looks terrific, i love to hate the guy but there's no denying that he proved he's a lot better than a lot of people gave him credit for. Once DeGale didn't fade after the first 6 rounds Paul Smith was fucked.

Nathan Cleverly was disappointing :( his last few figths have been great but he looked bad on Saturday night. Awkward situtation with the new opponent and stuff but Cleverly's failure to adapt and be made to look bad wasn't good. Cleverly's body language around rounds 8-9 when stuff wasn't going his way wasn't good either, he didn't look like wanted to be there. The commentators made light of the fact that the fight will probably teach Cleverly more than if he'd blown the guy out of there in a couple of rounds, and that's probably true but ive come to expect excitement from Cleverly and i was pretty disappointed :(

Looking forward to Tony Jeffries fight tonight on Sky Sports (well if they fit it on the broadcast), his last fight wasn't good due to a management cock-up & tearing his bicep the week before the fight but after that he sacked his trainer and went out to train in LA out of his own pocket. His new trainer is Tommy Brooks (who has trained the likes of Holyfield, Klitschko's & Yuri Foreman to name a few), hopefully it will start to pay off.

One of the nicest lads you could meet is Jeffers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Former European Heavyweight Champion (and Danny Williams conqueror) Sinan Samil Sam is in intensive care in Turkey, and he needs a liver transplant. He's thirty-six years old.

http://supersport.com/boxing/international...iver_transplant

Ex-champ needs liver transplant

21 December 2010, 17:10

Former European heavyweight champion Sinan Samil Sam is in intensive care in a hospital in Istanbul after suffering liver failure.

The 36-year-old German-born Turkish boxer was admitted last week after vomiting blood.

He is in a critical condition and urgently needs a liver transplant, Arena promotions said on Tuesday, quoting the boxer's doctor.

Sam was amateur super-heavyweight world champion in 1999.

He also held the European heavyweight championship as a professional between 2002 and 2004 and again in 2008.

He had not fought since winning the EBU title by beating Italian Paolo Vidoz in July 2008.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/samil-sam-hospitalized-70870

20 Dec 2010

Samil Sam hospitalized

Turkish boxing idol Sinan Samil Sam is in intensive care in Istanbul. The former two-time European heavyweight champion and WBC international champion vomited blood last Wednesday and was directly taken to the hospital. His doctor Dilek Oguz informed the media today that Sam

Edited by nfc90210

OK, I need some clarification because I must have missed the news about Juergen Braehmer. Last I read, he was likely to lose his appeal for an assault charge and now he's fighting Beibut Shumenov in Kazakhstan next month. I can't find the news that said he won the appeal. Anybody have a link?

This does seem to be a combination of Sky and Wlad's fault, rather than Haye, which is disappointing. After all the (reluctant) budging Haye did, I thought this fight might be near but now I don't think it'll happen-neither party want it enough. For example, Wlad wants it but only on HIS terms. Fight in Germany, his name first on all the promotional stuff, entering the ring last, german docs at ringside etc. I've questioned whether Haye really wants it, but the fact he accepted those terms suggests he does.

From what I understand regarding these shenanigans, everything was agreed to, 50/50 and all the terms above for a german stadium on April 30th between Hayemaker, K2 and RTL (the German TV company that shows K2 fights), but Sky didn't like that date due to a) They are showing Amir Khan v ??? (Lamont Peterson supposedly) two weeks earlier, also on PPV and don't want two that close to each other, and b) It's the royal wedding that weekend apparently, so they must think nobody is gonna buy it. An alternative date of the 2nd July was planned, but Wlad didn't want to go 9 months without a fight, so rejected that date to fight Chisora on the original date of April 30th. Fucking gash. If Haye does indeed retire at 31, that leaves a very small window to fight Wlad now. Haye is due a mandatory against Ruslan Chagaev, who's HIV positive so won't be allowed to fight in the UK, that might take place in Germany, or he might just 'wait' for the Wlad fight that will probably not happen.

As for why he doesn't fight Vitali in the interim (which seems obvious), Haye must view him as the stronger brother, and has absolutely no intention of fighting him, especially with his retirement due so soon.

Times like these (and the fact that Mayweather Jnr v Pacquiao looks as far away from happening as ever) make me question being a boxing fan. I don't think there is another sport out there that can disappoint as much. Just fuck off messing about and fight!

HIV+ boxers are still allowed to box?!? I thought they were well and truly banned.

Certain countries allow them. For example, Chagaev was scheduled to face Valuev in May last year in Finland, but it was called off on the morning of the fight cos he was found to be HIV positive. Since then he has fought in Germany a couple of times, so if he did fight Haye, it would probably be there.

Tommy Morrison (Tommy Gunn in Rocky V) is banned from fighting in certain states in the US cos of his HIV, but not others.

Doesnt he (Ruslan) only have Hep B?

Shit, your right, thanks. Here's me getting my illnesses mixed up :omg: . Either way, he won't be allowed to fight in the UK with hep b, so it'd have to be in Germany if he fought Haye.

But the point stands about HIV, you can box with it in certain countries, and certain shitty athletic commisions will allow it in the states.

• Paid Members

Former British Heavyweight Champion was killed yesterday in a cycling accident. He was forty-eight years old. I was a kid when he was on top and I do have recollections of watching him on TV.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6639632,00.html

Boxing mourns Mason

Former British heavyweight champion dies in road accident, aged 48

Last updated: 7th January 2011

Former British heavyweight champion Gary Mason died in a road accident on Thursday. He was 48 years old.

Mason was riding a bicycle in Sandy Lane South, Wallington, south London, when he was involved in a collision with a van. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Metropolitan Police, who have yet to confirm the name of the victim, said the van driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.

One of the most popular figures on the boxing scene in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Mason beat Hughroy Currie to win the British heavyweight title in 1989.

He mounted one successful defence but lost the belt when he challenged future world champion Lennox Lewis for his European title at Wembley Arena in March 1991.

Mason was regarded as a slight favourite coming into the fight but an existing eye injury did not help his cause against the sharp, accurate Lewis, and he was stopped in the seventh round.

Eye problems blighted Mason's career but he fought twice more, winning both, before retiring in 1994.

Known as a tough, hard-hitting fighter with a strong chin, Jamaican-born Mason had 38 professional contests in all, suffering only one defeat and winning 34 by knockout.

"It's a terrible shock. He was a very good champion in the era when we had Frank Bruno and Lennox Lewis," British Boxing Board of Control general secretary Robert Smith said on Friday.

"He was a huge puncher and a very nice man."

A picture of the scene from the Daily Mail article on his death.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...g-accident.html

article13449240cad189f0.jpg

• Paid Members

looks like Haye/Klitschko is off again with both sides blaming each other.

If Haye ends up retiring without fighting either guy he'll surely go down as a footnote in heavyweight boxing history.

Vitali Klitschko will defend his WBC heavyweight title against mandatory challenger Odlanier Solis in Cologne on March 19, it has been confirmed.

The Cuban exile defeated veteran Ray Austin in an eliminator last month and with few other potential opponents out there for Klitschko, a deal was always likely to be made.

Solis is no stranger to the German public, having fought there nine times as a professional after joining the paid ranks in 2007.

The 30-year-old has a 17-0 record with 12 stoppages, and although he looked sluggish against Austin could be one of the few to ruffle Klitschko's feathers as he approaches his 40th birthday.

"Solis is an experienced, quick and uncomfortable fighter," said Klitschko in a statement. "I will not underestimate him."

Now based in Florida, Solis has been talked up in the American press as one of the few heavyweights to take over the Klitschko brothers' mantle when they retire.

But although he has few 'names' on his CV, Solis gets an early chance to prove them right.

"Vitali has been choosing weak opponents for years. But that is finished now. I will beat him, take his belts and leave Cologne as champion," said Solis.