DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

I don't often post in this thread, because everything I watch these days seems to be "not bad". So here's a couple of not bad films I've watched in the last couple of weeks.Skeleton Key.Spooky thriller type jobby with hoodoo (similar to voodoo) and stuff. John Hurt's in it, being great. Not a bad film, nice ending (that I had to explain to the missus about 5 times before she got it), but took a while to get going.40 Year Old VirginDidn't fancy this, but turned out better than I expected. Plenty of unnecessary nudity, and some nice bitter humour in it which wasn't as dumbed down as I expected. It's only major downfall (and I mean major) was at the end when it went into the standard rom-com ending of "girl finds out all is not as it seems, they fall out, but semi-tragic circumstances bring them back together". Bleh. Otherwise, not bad.The Hills Have Eyes. (original)Loved this. There's something about late 70's/early 80's horrors that is so identifyably feelable about them. Hard to explain, but they all seem to have a hot blonde girl, a handsome young man who wears shorts that border on the homoerotic, and a lot of it is shot with the sun low in the sky, so you get a lot of lens flare, and a dusty, misty quality to the picture.Like Texas Chainsaw Massacre though, I felt the end came too abruptly.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, this is a thread I haven't visited for a while...Finally got a decent media player (TCPMP) for my PDA. This means I can watch whole movies in DivX format at the proper framerate. Fuck WMP10 Mobile and its pathetic 12 frames a second!Anyway, the point here is:-I finally watched Team America! I know, I'm only two years out of the loop.Pretty funny, but nowhere near as good as the South Park movie. The sex scene made me laugh a little too loudly on the coach. :blush:"Derka derka..."In an attempt to be a little more hip and with it, the next two on my list are Jarhead and Corpse Bride.

Guest DJM

A few films I have watched over the past couple of weeks...

Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)

A good film, very entertaining, bloody and violent, with some exciting action, a good cast, and solid acting.

(***)

Swingers

A very good film, very entertaining, funny, has witty & quotable dialogue, a good soundtrack & use of music, an interesting story, and good central performances from Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau.

(***1/2)

Go

A very good film, very entertaining, very funny, great fun, a good story, a good cast, good to very good performances (Tay Diggs is great), and a great soundtrack.

(****)

Pyrokinesis

An entertaining film, which is engaging at times, and has an interesting story. The acting tends to range from good to mediocre, with the characters themselves mostly interesting and pretty well fleshed out throughout the movie. The music used throughout the movie is pretty poor, and a lot of the time seems to be used out-of-place. It is the special effects though which make the film good, because even though limited there are some great fire effects and some good make-up effects used throughout. Not a great film, or even a particularly memorable film either, but it is mostly rewarding and enjoyable viewing with some really great SFX.

(***)

Azumi

A very good film, very entertaining, has a good story, and some good & interesting characters (Bijomaru is a really great character). The film is also violent and very bloody, with some great action & fight scenes, some dark humour, and on the whole is just great fun. Some of the violence and action is of a comic-book style and Crouching Tiger style action at times though. The movie is not without its flaws, and could be off-putting due to its (uncut) 143-minute runtime, but it is a very good and very enjoyable film.

(****)

Azumi 2

A very good film, very entertaining, has a good story, some very good action & fight scenes, and which is violent and very bloody. The film is a good continuation of the original Azumi, and much like the original has some entertaining characters and is great fun.

Click to Show/Hide

After watching Battle Royale and Kill Bill you just knew not to trust Kozue(Chiaki Kuriyama) though.

(***1/2)

Heroic Duo

An entertaining film, with an interesting story, a pretty good cast (including Ekin Cheng, Leon Lai, Francis Ng), and a mixture of good and bad acting. The film has some entertaining action scenes, but also has fight scenes which seem out of place, and some unnecessarily confusing (and sometimes corny) dialogue. The movie is also silly at times, has a messy flow, and tries to be clever but misses the mark alot of the time. Not a great film, and not really a film worth recommending, but an entertaining enough 100-minutes viewing.

(**)

Guest Refuse Matt M

Yeah but alot of their advertising is towards children who don't know if the food is good or bad for you and don't care either way so they start of early in life eating at McDonalds and as they get older it's harder for the fattys to stop.

That's down to bad parenting more than anything tho. I think it's more comfortable for people to blame McDonalds for having obese kids than to blame themselves. Because kids don't get fat by eating McDonalds every now and again, they get fat eating it all the time.

Man, this is a thread I haven't visited for a while...Finally got a decent media player (TCPMP) for my PDA. This means I can watch whole movies in DivX format at the proper framerate. Fuck WMP10 Mobile and its pathetic 12 frames a second!Anyway, the point here is:-I finally watched Team America! I know, I'm only two years out of the loop.Pretty funny, but nowhere near as good as the South Park movie. The sex scene made me laugh a little too loudly on the coach. :blush:"Derka derka..."In an attempt to be a little more hip and with it, the next two on my list are Jarhead and Corpse Bride.

I saw Team America for the first time last night, it was nowhere near as good as South Park, it was alright.Gary constantly being sick made me laugh the most. (I have terrible sense of humour)Plus gotta love "MATT DAMON" :laugh:

• Paid Members

I attempted to watch Nightwatch tonight, got about 50 minutes through and turned it off for being one of the most boring, poorly acted and directed films I have ever seen. I know it's part of a trilogy and all but after 50 minutes you have got to have your fucking plot set up.

One Foot In The Algarve (i call it a film, its the 1993 Xmas Special and lasted 90 minutes) - im a big fan of the show and the movie didnt dissapoint as Victor continues to make enemies everywhere.Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire - Had this for a while now, finally got to watch it. Now im not a fan of the Books and i never thought id enjoy them movies, but ive got all 4 now and love them all, not the types of film i thought it would be, and this 4th installment is a lot darker than previous and with all the kids growing up it was expected.At 150 minutes in length though i still think the films are too long (all have been aroun that mark) and i know if i took young kids to a cinema to watch this i think their attention span wouldnt get more than half way through before they would be bored and or tired. Kids films should never be more than 60-70 mins long. The Incredibles at 2 hours is just as bad.

Friday night, I saw Le Battement D'Ailes Du Papillion which, from my A Level French I translate as something to do with a butterfly fluttering its wings, yet the film's English title is either 'Happenstance' or (less accurately, as it was released before) 'Amelie 2'.It stars the adorable Audrey Tautou, who makes me wanna descend into :love: smiley folly. There are lots of characters with seemingly unconnected lives, yet most of them affect each other in some way. It's based on Chaos Theory/Butterfly Effect/Synchronicity logic. Something apparently insignificant can have huge reverberations.I enjoyed the film a lot. It has the same gallic charm and quirkiness of Amelie but is slightly darker, and has more storyline threads.I was a little bit unsatisfied by the ending as it seems that all the ends aren't tied up (though if you think about they probably are). The resolution offered isn't as positive as in Amelie but maybe some would consider Amelie a little too saccharine. If you enjoyed the quirks of Amelie but found it a little too sugar sweet, Happenstance would be more to your liking. While the resolution isn't great, the numerous plotlines are genuinally engaging. Some of the smaller stories, in particular, offer wonderful comic relief. There are lots of philosophical nuggets to be found but I found them quite pallatable and not too pretentious.I very much recommend Le Battement D'Ailes Du Papillion.Audrey Tautou :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Hostel

I know loads has been said about this, so i wont write too much.

I really enjoyed the film, and i dont understand alot of the hate for it. I think most people were probably expecting too much. Okay its a basic story but has some cool torture/death scenes, Im glad i bought it.

4/5

The Aviator

This documentation of Howard Hughes' life is near a stroke of genius in terms of direction from Scorsese, and is brillantly relived by DiCaprio. The film's pace covers everything in great detail, without creating a snail slow pace. The slow deteriation of Hughes' O.C.D. is effective, and you really feel his pain as he struggles in the important social context of a Hollywood name. Although this film does not create a hero facing odds, instead it paints the picture of a real people with real vices, and even the bad side of Hughes is exposed early on (suggesting that his personaility is partially to blame for his condition). This film will go down as one of the biographics of the 21st century, and I'm fairly sure it will be considered one of Scorsese's best for some time to come.

I give this film 5 potatoes out a possible 5 potatoes.

Mission Impossible 3AWESOME !!! Brilliant stuff here. The only negative I'd give is Philip Seymour Hoffman in his more action orientated parts. As a badass villain, he's absolutely superb, and an incredibly evil bastard. Some of the action scenes in here are also just 'seen to be believed' level stunts.