DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Just saw You Me & Everyone We Know, and I loved it.

It's an independent comedy with several stories intertwining. It's very awkward, but has some real laugh out loud moments, but the thing that really stands out is how gorgeously it's shot. The cinematography is simply break taking, so if you're into that kind of thing I'd definitely recommend checking it out. It won the Cam

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wrestler

Is this the movie that everyone believed Rourke was entitled to an Oscar for? Seriously? Aside from the disturbingly polite Necro Butcher I thought that this movie was an absolute disaster and I came away thinking that Rouke's 'real life' was more unrealistic than his part-time existance as a wrestler. By the time the movie ended I knew as little about 'The Ram' as when the movie started.

I don't know how Randy went from selling out Madison Square Garden to living in a trailer, did he blow all of his money on peroxide, tanning booths and sixty dollar lapdances?

I don't know why Randy was such a failure as a parent, was he on the road and afraid of asking for time off for fear of losing his spot, or was he just a selfish prick who got what he deserved?

I don't know why Randy would agree to work a deathmatch in CZW when he clearly had absolutely no idea what he was getting himself involved in.

I don't know any of these things because apparently the guy who wrote this travesty didn't believe that things like humanisation of characters and establishing a believable backstory are important traits for a movie. Are we supposed to pity Randy? Are we supposed to sympathise with him? Or are we supposed to laugh at him for being a clueless relic of a bygone age? As a viewer I felt nothing but apathy for the characters because I was never given a reason to care about anyone in it, you were quite literally given nothing to base an opinion on. I'll admit that the wrestling segments were pretty decent but I believe that a lot of wrestling fans have been duped into believing that this is a good movie merely because it doesn't make a total mockery of wrestling. It did a very good job of exposing the seedy underbelly of Pro-Wrestling that people don't like to talk about but it infuriated me by not explaining to the audience why these people smash themselves to pieces every night in front of a crowd. The entire deathmatch sequence served no purpose (just like the extended strip club routines) than to add a bit of blood and guts to the movie, it didn't establish any kind of context so to a lot of people it would have come across as completely unbelievable and unrealistic.

I've heard the The Wrestler described as being "to Pro-Wrestling what Rocky was to Boxing". Pure nonsense. Even if you take the Boxing segments out of Rocky you're still left with a tale about a guy who wanted to succeed or die trying, we follow him through the highs and lows and most importantly we're given real reasons to root for him and will him to succeed - I can't say the same about The Wrestler because we're never given any reason to believe in Randy or even care about him. I was disappointed with this movie because, like Pro-Wrestling in general nowadays, it promised so much yet delivered so little, it could have opened the sport up to a new generation by finally explaining why these people do it, what it means to them and the inevitable sacrifices that come from it.

• Paid Members
You could argue that this is because the conventions of the slasher film have been done to death by this point, but I'd still maintain that something like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre stands up extremely well today

I don't think that's a fair criticism when Halloween essentially created all of those conventions. Halloween is a great film, sure there are some cheesy bits but thats mainly down to the low budget and it's age. It's still one of the best and most important horror movies ever made.

Just because it's important doesn't mean it's that good, the conventions it created can and have been bettered.

Oh yeah? Name one.

The Wrestler

Is this the movie that everyone believed Rourke was entitled to an Oscar for? Seriously? Aside from the disturbingly polite Necro Butcher I thought that this movie was an absolute disaster and I came away thinking that Rouke's 'real life' was more unrealistic than his part-time existance as a wrestler. By the time the movie ended I knew as little about 'The Ram' as when the movie started.

I don't know how Randy went from selling out Madison Square Garden to living in a trailer, did he blow all of his money on peroxide, tanning booths and sixty dollar lapdances?

I don't know why Randy was such a failure as a parent, was he on the road and afraid of asking for time off for fear of losing his spot, or was he just a selfish prick who got what he deserved?

I don't know why Randy would agree to work a deathmatch in CZW when he clearly had absolutely no idea what he was getting himself involved in.

I don't know any of these things because apparently the guy who wrote this travesty didn't believe that things like humanisation of characters and establishing a believable backstory are important traits for a movie. Are we supposed to pity Randy? Are we supposed to sympathise with him? Or are we supposed to laugh at him for being a clueless relic of a bygone age? As a viewer I felt nothing but apathy for the characters because I was never given a reason to care about anyone in it, you were quite literally given nothing to base an opinion on. I'll admit that the wrestling segments were pretty decent but I believe that a lot of wrestling fans have been duped into believing that this is a good movie merely because it doesn't make a total mockery of wrestling. It did a very good job of exposing the seedy underbelly of Pro-Wrestling that people don't like to talk about but it infuriated me by not explaining to the audience why these people smash themselves to pieces every night in front of a crowd. The entire deathmatch sequence served no purpose (just like the extended strip club routines) than to add a bit of blood and guts to the movie, it didn't establish any kind of context so to a lot of people it would have come across as completely unbelievable and unrealistic.

I've heard the The Wrestler described as being "to Pro-Wrestling what Rocky was to Boxing". Pure nonsense. Even if you take the Boxing segments out of Rocky you're still left with a tale about a guy who wanted to succeed or die trying, we follow him through the highs and lows and most importantly we're given real reasons to root for him and will him to succeed - I can't say the same about The Wrestler because we're never given any reason to believe in Randy or even care about him. I was disappointed with this movie because, like Pro-Wrestling in general nowadays, it promised so much yet delivered so little, it could have opened the sport up to a new generation by finally explaining why these people do it, what it means to them and the inevitable sacrifices that come from it.

The ending I jsut didn't get whatsoever.

He wants her to be there for him, she wants to be, but leaves, thus leaving the movie with no conclusion really

The Wrestler

***Waits for the tools to come along and tell us "yeah I've thought this all along"***

Personally, I don't think you've watched the same movie we've all watched and loved.

• Moderators

He wants her to be there for him, she wants to be, but leaves, thus leaving the movie with no conclusion really

She doesn't want to be there, she wants him to not have the match. But he has the match and chooses wrestling over her and maybe dies then, maybe dies later, maybe in the ring, maybe not but ultimately alone. The end.

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching Trainspotting, and I loved it. I have no idea how this film's passed me by for so long. The acting was great, the characters were superb, and the story gripped me from beginning to end. And I now see what bAz is so scared of.

I also watched Withnail & I for the first time, and this may make me unpopular, but I don't get what all the fuss is about. Maybe I had it too hyped up before, or maybe it was because it was the 6th or 7th movie in a long weekend, so maybe I was a bit too burnt out, but I thought it was utterly forgettable and not in the least bit special. It just seemed like your average British 80's movie, with a few amusing moments and a couple of interesting performances, but a lot of long, dragging, dull sections. It was described to me as one of the most quotable movies I'll ever see, but the only way I'll ever quote anything from it ism if I want to appear like an idiot.

I also watched two horrendous movies thanks to misremembered recommendations from the missus. First off was Wild Things. If it wasnt for Denise Richards stripping off and generally acting like the slut every guy dreams about it would have been a complete waste of an evening. Dull story, crap acting, and some of the most unintentionaly dumb characters I've seen in a long time.

The second was The Crushwhich was like a terrible made-for-tv movie, but saved itself with a completely out of place hulk-like punch from the main character that sent someone flying right across the room right at the end. I'm almost certain there was some wirework there. Anyway, the rest of the movie was pretty crap, and slightly uncomfortable in places since they kept trying to sexualize an allegedly 14 year old Alicia Silverstone. A lot of it just felt like a perfect example of 'how not to write a movie'. The dialogue was laughable and completely unbelievable, and some of the acting was just shocking, with characters just breaking into awkward monologues that sounded like they'd come from an under 14's drama group, or reading lines with the delivery of a brick. It also seemed like the writer had purposely taken a stand against subtlety, and decided to hammer every plot point home with the finesse of a retarded kid with a balance problem. There was a background line in a meeting scene where someone said something about consumers being idiots and needing to spoonfeed everything to them, and it was very obvious that's how the makers of this film felt about the viewers.

Avoid unless you enjoy your brain trying to escape from your skull.

Edited by CoreyVandal

• Paid Members
I also watched Withnail & I for the first time, and this may make me unpopular, but I don't get what all the fuss is about. Maybe I had it too hyped up before, or maybe it was because it was the 6th or 7th movie in a long weekend, so maybe I was a bit too burnt out, but I thought it was utterly forgettable and not in the least bit special. It just seemed like your average British 80's movie, with a few amusing moments and a couple of interesting performances, but a lot of long, dragging, dull sections. It was described to me as one of the most quotable movies I'll ever see, but the only way I'll ever quote anything from it ism if I want to appear like an idiot.

Remember that bit in the tea-room, where "Withnail, and that other guy" start swearing at all the pensioners, for NO reason? I thought that was particularly nasty, and not funny at all.

• Paid Members
Watched one called Brooklyn Rules the other day and thought it was pretty entertaining. Freddy Prinze Jr., Alec Baldwin, Scott Caan and Jay Ferrara can't really go wrong.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah man, stellar cast.

there aint anything wrong with Freddie Prinze Jr. :confused:

Watched one called Brooklyn Rules the other day and thought it was pretty entertaining. Freddy Prinze Jr., Alec Baldwin, Scott Caan and Jay Ferrara can't really go wrong.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah man, stellar cast.

there aint anything wrong with Freddie Prinze Jr. :confused:

Ah, blissful ignorance.

Also, it's "isn't".

She doesn't want to be there, she wants him to not have the match. But he has the match and chooses wrestling over her and maybe dies then, maybe dies later, maybe in the ring, maybe not but ultimately alone. The end.

But she wants to be with him and tells him she'll support him even though she doesn't want him to do it and then the film just ends, with us never knowing what happens to him, and not in the good way, its like there was no point in the middle part of the movie. He was a wrestler who fucked up his family and pesonal life and who continues to fuck it up and still wrestles.