DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Jack Nicholson looked "completely and utterly insane" from the very beginning though.

Hence the "You've always been the caretaker" line. Also, Rod, see if you can watch the documentary made by Kubrick's daughter, it sheds a bit of light on why Shelly Duvall was the way she was.

Actually...yeah that kinda makes a bit more sense now. That whole aspect where he's in the photo and that did confuse me a bit. My point still stands on the comedy aspect though.

I'll get around to that and let you know how it influences my opinion :thumbsup:

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree in part about the comedy aspect, do you think that could be down to Nicholsons performances in films since The Shining, if you know what I mean? It's practically expected for Jack to go overboard these days but it wasn't at the time of The Shining?

I will admit to being biased though, Rod. Not only is The Shining one of my favourite films (I thought both the book and the mini series were terrible BTW) but I'm something of a Kubrick fanboy.

Jack Nicholson looked "completely and utterly insane" from the very beginning though.

Hence the "You've always been the caretaker" line. Also, Rod, see if you can watch the documentary made by Kubrick's daughter, it sheds a bit of light on why Shelly Duvall was the way she was.

I always thought it was a bit harsh at the time, but it got the result he wanted - though I recently found out Nick Meyer used a similar technique with William Shatner to get the opposite effect :confused:

I watched 'Nudist colony of the dead' yesterday.

Some of the charactrs at first were really irritating, and a lot of the jokes just ran on and on, seemingly not knowing when to stop!

However, it was very rewarding to persevere with! The jokes really picked up (the head having a drink sleighed me) and I really got in to the songs. Gotta also love the:

"Look *pronounced from the Japanese character to sound like Rook*"

"This is no time for a game of chess!"

Fun to be had for sure! Any one who likes musicals should give it a go. While some of the earlier songs are unimpressive, and drag on, later on there's a fine and eclectic mix of songs ranging from blues to disco! Very catchy. Loved the part in the last song where the zombie sang about the motions that were happening in that very instance!

I'd like to say it was the usual over-hyped Kubrick mess

Which Kubrick films in particular are you referring to here? I'm not looking to string you up, I've only watched a couple of Kubrick films myself. I was just curious.

In particular it's A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Oddessy. Full Metal Jacket is good during the training scenes, but ends up falling apart as a whole. I can barely remember Eyes Wide Shut but I think that was another one.

I quite like Spartacus and Dr. Strangelove though.

Which Kubrick films in particular are you referring to here? I'm not looking to string you up, I've only watched a couple of Kubrick films myself. I was just curious.

In particular it's A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Oddessy. Full Metal Jacket is good during the training scenes, but ends up falling apart as a whole. I can barely remember Eyes Wide Shut but I think that was another one.

I watched A Clockwork Orange in my early teens, so can't really remember it. I remember thinking it was a bit weird. I will watch it again at some point.

Full Metal Jacket is one of my favourite films however. I always view it as 2 mini films, and admit the first part is the better/stronger part. But I still enjoy the whole film and think the second part is better than some war films.

I watched A Clockwork Orange in my early teens, so can't really remember it. I remember thinking it was a bit weird. I will watch it again at some point.

Full Metal Jacket is one of my favourite films however. I always view it as 2 mini films, and admit the first part is the better/stronger part. But I still enjoy the whole film and think the second part is better than some war films.

I do think that maybe some of Kubrick's work will be more appreciated on multiple viewings, but I really can't bring myself to sit through A Clockwork Orange again. May give Full Metal Jacket another whirl though.

• Paid Members

I love full metal Jacket its easy 1 of my fav flims.

I just watched the new Resi Evil animation(forgot its real name), Which is based on the game nothing to do with the films, It feels like 1 big cut scene and has Leon and Claire in it. I guess you need to have played the games to like it. It starts in a Airport with a terrorist attack on the head of a company who still have the virus's, there weapons are infected ppl who over run the Air port in seconds, Its worth a watch but i dout i would pay

I do think that maybe some of Kubrick's work will be more appreciated on multiple viewings, but I really can't bring myself to sit through A Clockwork Orange again. May give Full Metal Jacket another whirl though.

Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange work for me, Full Metal Jacket starts with totalitarian control and then switches to anarchy while the opposite is true of A Clockwork Orange.

I have to be honest though, I can accept the accusation that Kubrick films are boring and plodding but to suggest that they are nothing but totally controlled in their direction, I think that's what you meant by the 'Kubrick mess' term, is patently absurd.

• Paid Members

Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange work for me, Full Metal Jacket starts with totalitarian control and then switches to anarchy while the opposite is true of A Clockwork Orange.

I have to be honest though, I can accept the accusation that Kubrick films are boring and plodding but to suggest that they are nothing but totally controlled in their direction, I think that's what you meant by the 'Kubrick mess' term, is patently absurd.

I don't see why Clockwork Orange gets all the praise it does, the film is rubbish.

• Paid Members

I just found it to be too artsy and "cultish". Things like being battered to death with a giant penis, or the benny hill style scene. By "cultish" I mean in the way like Napoleon Dynamite is "cultish" in which people talk for most of it, and nothing much of note happens. The stuff that does happen in this film though are the things i've mentioned such as the penis death and the benny hill sex scene, mixed in with rapes and beatings. Its like a film that is trying to celebrate rape and violence by throwing in 60's style softcore sex stuff and pretentiousness. To be at least a little fair, if it is anything like Napoleon Dynamite I could learn to like it with repeat viewings, except I have no desire to watch this again.

• Paid Members
ts like a film that is trying to celebrate rape and violence by throwing in 60's style softcore sex stuff and pretentiousness.

Congratulations on missing the entire point of the film, retard. A Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece and in todays world is seeming more and more relevant year by year.