DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Just because the masses think it's great doesn't make it great. Everybody has an opinion. Personally I believe no movie is either great or shit. It's a matter of opinion. If you think it's great then it's great, if you think it's crap then it's crap. It doesn't mean it's a fact about that movie, just your opinion is what matters, if you insist on pushing your opinions on others then cool for you... And me :)An example is the movie Scarface. There are a lot of people in the world that will rave that this is one of the greatest movies ever made. Me personally, I think it's utter shit and that is my opinion on that movie. Just because a larger majority say it's great doesn't invalidate my opinion and doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's just what I think.

Yes your right, but because you say its shit does make that the definitive opinion either, which seems to be what Seven expects of his opinion. Yes everyone has their own opion, but surely the general concesus of a film is what the overall opinion of the film is. If everyone thinks a film is amazing but you think its shit you've got to admit that there must be something that all those people are seeing in the film even if you can't see it, don't see or are above it.What I was mainly objecting to was the way he put it, as if to say 'actually, your all wrong, if I say it isn't great then the film isn't great, no one else gets an opinion'. We aren't wrong, we simply have differing opinions and to say that your opinion is the general consensus whilst simulatiously stating that the mojority disagree is rather stupid.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Although many will disagree, for me the worst film I've ever seen is Napolean Dynamite. Awful awful film.Kung Pow was pretty damn dire too.

I agree with you dude. Thought it was a typically ridiculous "comedy" that the US likes to churn out these days.
Which is nonsense because the comedy that the US churns out is the likes of Norbert, Scary Movie 4, and Chuck & Larry.Napoleon Dynamite was, for me, funny on first watch. It wasn't anything like a normal comedy in the US as the humour was much more subtle. Unfortunately the masses turned it into nothing but catchphrases and promptly ruined any lasting humour in it.

• Paid Members

Although many will disagree, for me the worst film I've ever seen is Napolean Dynamite. Awful awful film.Kung Pow was pretty damn dire too.

I agree with you dude. Thought it was a typically ridiculous "comedy" that the US likes to churn out these days.
Which is nonsense because the comedy that the US churns out is the likes of Norbert, Scary Movie 4, and Chuck & Larry.Napoleon Dynamite was, for me, funny on first watch. It wasn't anything like a normal comedy in the US as the humour was much more subtle. Unfortunately the masses turned it into nothing but catchphrases and promptly ruined any lasting humour in it.
I was going to post the same. Typical us comedys are the annual Will Farrel, Ben Stiller, Wilson, Sandler pieces of shit. Napolean Dynamite is such an unconventional film that I'm still amazed at how sucessful it was. I think its a great film. It seems most famous for the dancing scene (which is one of the least funny things in the film.), but its got soo much more.Just thinking about Uncle Rico making videos of himself cracks me up. Ignore the post hype backlash kids, see this film!

• Paid Members

I was going to post the same. Typical us comedys are the annual Will Farrel, Ben Stiller, Wilson, Sandler pieces of shit. Napolean Dynamite is such an unconventional film that I'm still amazed at how sucessful it was. I think its a great film. It seems most famous for the dancing scene (which is one of the least funny things in the film.), but its got soo much more.Just thinking about Uncle Rico making videos of himself cracks me up. Ignore the post hype backlash kids, see this film!
Its also got a rather nifty soundtrack too!

I agree, it wasn't a typical US comedy. For me it just wasn't funny. At all. There was about 2 bits in the whole film that made me chuckle and the rest was just yawn out loud dull. Snooze fest of a film in my opinion, thats why I hated it.

• Paid Members

I agree, it wasn't a typical US comedy. For me it just wasn't funny. At all. There was about 2 bits in the whole film that made me chuckle and the rest was just yawn out loud dull. Snooze fest of a film in my opinion, thats why I hated it.
I just remembered Rex the martial arts instructer, more cracking up. You are wrong in my opinion sir.

I just remembered Rex the martial arts instructer, more cracking up. You are wrong in my opinion sir.
I think its one of the definitive 'Marmite' films. You either love it or you hate it. I hate it, but obviously a lot of people love it.

No, I think you've just proved that it is a great film. Being a great film is opinion and if the masses think its great then its great.

This is a candidate for the dumbest post ever seen on this forum.
What the hell are you talking about?So theres some god of movies who determines what films are great? Or maybe the film maker labels how good the film is on release? Of course its the fucking opinion of the masses that says how good a film is because they're the ones watching it and enjoying it. If you say its good and seemingly everyone else says its great then simple ratios state that the general opinion is its great. You can't say 'actually no, the film is good not great because I say so'.Maybe I should be hurling random dumbest post candiations at you for you inability to understand that. I won't, but you get the idea.
So if I ask you to tell me if a film is average, good, great you have to check the box office receipts before you are able to give me an answer?Well at least thats cleared something up for me, all this time I though Titanic was a drizzling piece of shit but apparently it is in fact the greatest film ever made. No arguments or debates required.As for The Dark Knight, its a very, very good film but not a great one. Ledger is also very, very good but all the Oscar talk is rather silly - he's playing a role that is made for him and is also the sort of part that actors kill for because if you pull it off you get to steal the show. As good as he is in the role he certainly shouldn't be getting a best Supporting actor nomination, come to think of it he isn't even the best supporting actor in this film.

Just because the masses think it's great doesn't make it great. Everybody has an opinion. Personally I believe no movie is either great or shit. It's a matter of opinion. If you think it's great then it's great, if you think it's crap then it's crap. It doesn't mean it's a fact about that movie, just your opinion is what matters, if you insist on pushing your opinions on others then cool for you... And me :)An example is the movie Scarface. There are a lot of people in the world that will rave that this is one of the greatest movies ever made. Me personally, I think it's utter shit and that is my opinion on that movie. Just because a larger majority say it's great doesn't invalidate my opinion and doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's just what I think.

Yes your right, but because you say its shit does make that the definitive opinion either, which seems to be what Seven expects of his opinion. Yes everyone has their own opion, but surely the general concesus of a film is what the overall opinion of the film is. If everyone thinks a film is amazing but you think its shit you've got to admit that there must be something that all those people are seeing in the film even if you can't see it, don't see or are above it.What I was mainly objecting to was the way he put it, as if to say 'actually, your all wrong, if I say it isn't great then the film isn't great, no one else gets an opinion'. We aren't wrong, we simply have differing opinions and to say that your opinion is the general consensus whilst simulatiously stating that the mojority disagree is rather stupid.
I didn't mean it like that. What I meant was that everybody has their own opinions. If a large majority say a movie is shit and I think it's good, or vice versa then that shouldn't have any affect on someones opinion. Just because I may hate something that a million people love, it doesn't automatically mean that it's an excellent movie. It also doesn't mean that the 1 person who hates said movie is some form of idiot, is missing something or is above it.This is why I object to people taking notice of movie critics and things like that. A person writing a bad review for a movie could automatically put off a number of people for even considering it, even though they may enjoy it. People don't like to form their own opinions because they fear being different to others. I couldn't count the amount of times I've been called a tit or stupid or whatever because I don't like Scarface. It's wrong to assume that just because the majority of people may like a movie it automatically means that everybody who hates it is wrong, or missing some higher meaning that everybody else got.

So if I ask you to tell me if a film is average, good, great you have to check the box office receipts before you are able to give me an answer?Well at least thats cleared something up for me, all this time I though Titanic was a drizzling piece of shit but apparently it is in fact the greatest film ever made. No arguments or debates required.

Hey look, this guy gets it!

So if I ask you to tell me if a film is average, good, great you have to check the box office receipts before you are able to give me an answer?Well at least thats cleared something up for me, all this time I though Titanic was a drizzling piece of shit but apparently it is in fact the greatest film ever made. No arguments or debates required.

C'mon, he's not saying if lots of people go to see a film that it makes it a great film. He's saying if lots of people go to see a film and come away saying it's a great film, then it's a great film. And that's how you judge how great a film is, by the audience response, whether 100 million see it or a hundred. Although you should let the honeymoon period cool over and make sure the consensus is the same in a few years before making a concrete determination.

What both of you don't seem to get is the difference between opinion and general concensus. If 99% of the world thing a film is great and 1% thinks its shit, then to that one per cent the film is shit, but you can't deny that there must be something great about it even if you don't get it. Joe the lion here hated Titanic, but theres a hell of a lot of chick flick lovers out there who thoughtit was great, just because you hated it doesn't mean its shit. Opinions are great, but when you start acting like Seven here thinking your opinion is the definitive opinion then its not.If the general consensus on a film (say for instance the score on rottentomatoes.com is a good indicator of general consensus) is good then chances are the film is good. I go to the cinema each week and rottentomatoes.com is pretty spot on.So no Titanic wasn't the greatest film in the world. In my opinion it was ok, in your opinion it was shit, but look 82% of reviews said it was good. Your opinion isn't wrong, my opinion isn't wrong. But its clearly a good movie that people who enjoy that genre will like reguardless of what we think.

• Moderators

Napoleon Dynamite is awesome, although I see neil's point that it gets annoying when people decide they're going to ruin something by quoting it all the time or wearing t-shirts, it doesn't diminish the material. It gets accused a lot of inspiring lots of similar films by people who hated it, "ooh, look what it started :angry:" but I don't see that at all. Other than Eagle vs. Shark, which was both really good and had enough of its own style to set it apart, it's just not true.