DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

I attended the Press screening of The Game Plan on Sunday which is another of those films where the happy ending is never in doubt. The Rock is pretty good in it though.

Is that just coming out? I saw it about 4 months ago, or more. It's harmless but pretty crap. The Rock is pretty decent in it, as is the little girl, but it's just such a played out idea.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I don't think that's a valid criticism really. I can't think of any film I've ever watched where the happy ending was ever in doubt.

I've been thinking about this and although you're right there's a reason why Pursuit of Happyness didn't suck me in. I've never really been able to put my finger on it, really, but we started watching the third season of Weeds last night and things are looking pretty grim but you know they're going to turn out okay and the reason you keep watching is to find out how they get better, what the characters do to improve their situations.In Happyness, it was obvious that he would just work really, really hard until he got noticed an things picked up. Which really meant the film was almost entirely about the suffering of the two main characters. And yes, all of the emotions were very well portrayed but ultimately, despite having a nice, happy ending and some wonderful performances, it just wasn't my cup of tea and I did find it very predictable.I don't want to take anything away from the film for those who enjoyed it, though, and I thought the performance of the two Smiths was good as anyone.

Tommy Boy

A backshift weekend stint meant a rummage through the cupboard where all my pile of excess gear went after moving flat last year to track down some stuff to watch during the quiet period which in todays case was all bloody day. Found this little beauty which brought back a lot of happy memories. I think initially saw this by chance in 1999 on BBC1 when they used to show some little gems after Match Of The Day on a Saturday night. It's not a masterpiece or anything near it nor will it be remembered as an all-time great comedy but the general script and casting of David Spade and Chris Farley is magic and i still love watching them together even on the umpteenth viewing of this. Would still say this film doesn't get the credit it deserves. It's usually a flip up for peoples favourite between this and Black Sheep. I always preferred Tommy Boy slightly more. Another sad thing is it got me inkling to look up some info on Farley which i do from time to time and realised it's just turned ten whole years sine he died, December 1997. Really enjoyed all his stuff and it's a shame he's no longer with us which is good to have stuff like this to keep the happy memories intact.

Tommy BoyA backshift weekend stint meant a rummage through the cupboard where all my pile of excess gear went after moving flat last year to track down some stuff to watch during the quiet period which in todays case was all bloody day. Found this little beauty which brought back a lot of happy memories. I think initially saw this by chance in 1999 on BBC1 when they used to show some little gems after Match Of The Day on a Saturday night. It's not a masterpiece or anything near it nor will it be remembered as an all-time great comedy but the general script and casting of David Spade and Chris Farley is magic and i still love watching them together even on the umpteenth viewing of this. Would still say this film doesn't get the credit it deserves. It's usually a flip up for peoples favourite between this and Black Sheep. I always preferred Tommy Boy slightly more. Another sad thing is it got me inkling to look up some info on Farley which i do from time to time and realised it's just turned ten whole years sine he died, December 1997. Really enjoyed all his stuff and it's a shame he's no longer with us which is good to have stuff like this to keep the happy memories intact.

Agreed."Fat guy in a little coat"

Can someone list me all the films released British cinemas so far this year?I'm trying to compile a list of films i've been to see and so far i have I Am Legend, Cloverfield, Jumper, Sweeney Tood, Juno, Be Kind Rewind and No Country For Old Men but i cant help but think i have left someg out that i have forgetten :/

Can someone list me all the films released British cinemas so far this year?I'm trying to compile a list of films i've been to see and so far i have I Am Legend, Cloverfield, Jumper, Sweeney Tood, Juno, Be Kind Rewind and No Country For Old Men but i cant help but think i have left someg out that i have forgetten :/

This should help http://www.launchingfilms.com

• Paid Members

This should help http://www.launchingfilms.com
Cool site, I'm going to do a list of films I've seen at the cinema since I had my Cineworld card in early 06. Will be interesting to see how much that card has saved me. Not that I would have seen a quarter of them at the cinema had not been for the unlimited card.

Justw bought and watched Rise of the Silver Surfer. um. It was ok, alot of the voices sounded terribly over dubbed, even in non CGI scenes. The storyline was okish, though it did not really explain Johnny's condition and the ending was a bit of an anti-climax with SS just killing Galactus so simply.

Justw bought and watched Rise of the Silver Surfer. um. It was ok, alot of the voices sounded terribly over dubbed, even in non CGI scenes. The storyline was okish, though it did not really explain Johnny's condition and the ending was a bit of an anti-climax with SS just killing Galactus so simply.

He's not dead, just 'banished' for the time being.

• Paid Members

Watched John Rambo. It was okay, takes itself far too seriously though, the Burmese soldiers going on a bloody rampage of rape and violence is not easy viewing at all but if you want to see a small child pulled out of his crying mothers arms and thrown into a bonfire than I guess this is the movie for you. The acting minus Sly is incredibly cheesy and corny but the last third is just Rambo going batshit and brutally killing what feels like two hundred thousand people in about 20 minutes. That's probably the main problem with this film: the start asks you to buy into the harsh reality of all these Burmese people getting brutally raped and murdered in huge numbers bu the end asks you to buy into the unrealistic one man unstoppable killing machine.

• Paid Members

I finally saw Reign over me. I'm a sucker for a happy ending, so it left me a tad unfulfilled, but I think that's best, because a happy ending would've killed it. It's an incredible piece of cinema really. I was sucked in from minute one until the very end. Sandler was absolutely incredible. The scene where he finally tells his story is one of the better things I've seen on television, ever, it absolutely killed me.The music is ace and there's some great humour but overall, a really great piece of story telling.