DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Just finished watching season two of Deadwood. What an amazing series; the first one was incredibly compelling, especially as parts of it were based on real people and events. After watching the first one, I only looked up "Wild" Bill Hickok and Jack McCall on Wikipedia, but, having watched the second, I looked up Deadwood and found that quite a significant number of the characters in the series were not only based on real people from the region, but that some severe, but intelligent, creative liberties were taken with quite a few of them. This combination of fact and fiction makes for a truly gripping TV series, and, despite the pretty prolific swearing, none of it feels gratuitous at any point. Ian McShane as Al Swearengen is fucking brilliant - a vicious, brutal, Machiavellian bastard who actually turns out to have a pretty strong code of ethics (they just happen to be different from anyone else's!), and who is bizarrely quite likable by halfway through the first season.

Timothy Olyphant as Seth Bullock, despite being overshadowed by McShane (but then everyone is), comes through as an intense, quick-tempered, emotional, fast-drawing gunslinger whom you just can't help rooting for, even when he's being a bit of a dick.

The third character to stand out in particular is Brad Dourif's Dr. Cochrane. This guy is nothing but likable, simply because he tries not to be. He's bad-tempered, ornery, anti-social and judgmental, but because he's so honest about these character flaws, and clearly cares more about putting effort into saving people's lives and rescuing humanity rather than into improving his social appearance and reputation, he becomes a tremendously sympathetic character. Dourif has had great outings as Piter De Vries in Dune, as Grima Wormtongue in LOTR and as the voice of Chucky in Child's Play, but this is by far the finest acting he's ever done.

All the other characters are vivid and immensely watchable in their own right, but it'd take ages to go through every single one; suffice it to say that they all have their own interesting stories, and once you start watching, you really don't want to stop - great stories, gritty, realistic portrayal, and the added bonus of copious swearing, drinking, gambling and boobage from the whores who seem to make up half the population of the town end up making me feel like I want to be there in the sleaziest possible way, despite the lack of amenities I'd be used to, or the fact that I'd be too soft to ever be able to live in such an environment.

This programme doesn't make any pretensions to beauty or high-flown sentiments - it's dirty, grimy, earthy and gloriously human, with humanity indulging in its worst excesses.

Edited by Carbomb

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catching up on Buffy lately...

...I quite liked the comedic aspect and silly elements of the show back in the day, but went off it with the whole militarised aspect on season 3/4(?). I started watching again as my GF was up to mid-season five of her DVD sets. I wasn't thrilled with that season, it seemed a bit drawn out, but when season six started it became a lot more entertaining.

The first half of the season had a dark element to Buffy's ressurection and the first few episodes were a bit of a chore to watch, but it picked up with the second disc. Episodes seemed to have weak endings, and plots with no real point to them, but the humour held it all together. The musical was less cringeworthy than I thought it would be and ended up being quite fun, as was an episode where they all lost their memories - with Spike assuming he was the unloved son of Giles. Once the comedy hooked me in the season seemed to get darker when Giles left, Willow became a magic junkie and one of the cast got killed leading to one of Buffy's group being the villian at the end which was a nice change of pace.

I've started off on Season 6 and already I'm liking the development of Spike being insane... which is the source of small comedy elements which I'm all for :)

It's all a bit upsetting as Joss Whedon comes off as a bit of a cock... even more upsetting that I liked Serenity and am now dipping into Firefly via my LoveFilm subscription and liked the first three episodes on disc one.

So now I need to finish the last season of Buffy, wait for the rest of Firefly to come through then I have my bargain of the week to watch. Four classic Doctor Who DVD's (which together cost a grand total of

• Paid Members

Good review of Deadwood by Carbomb. One of my favorite shows ever. It's a masterpiece. Season 2 has one of my favorite TV moments ever, Bullock walks across the thoroughfair after shagging the widow Garrett and Al shouts out from his balcony "Sherriff! Good thing business didn't call earlier, it may have found you mid-thrust in other matters." and Bullock turns around and gives him the biggest eyefuck stare ever and Al completely ignores it and gives one of the most perfect line deliveries I have ever seen "What? Struck by a vision? You don't want to be looking like that at me." Fucking class.

• Paid Members

For me, one of the best lines ever came from Dan Dority, when Silas Adams had to haul him off of shooting someone - "9 times out o' 10, I'da killed you 'fore you got yer hands on me - you just had your 1 outa 10."

• Paid Members

Had a bit of a dvd watching spree lately.

Office Space

Really simple and realistic comedy that i'd heard loads about and finally got round to watching. Though it was really funny, it seemed more like a long tv episode than a film.

Tropic Thunder

Shite, don't bother.

Rushmore

Wes Anderson is my favourite director and this film didn't disappoint. Bill Murray is fantastic as always and the film was hilarious and dry. It reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite but much more awkward and he actually does the things napoleon thinks.

I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry

Awful, don't rush to see it. Laughed about twice.

Toy Story

Hadn't watched it for ages and finally got it on dvd. Still holds up today as one of the best things Pixar have done.

Lost in translation

Not as good as I was expecting, but Bill Murray saves it just by being Bill Murray. I'm sure i'll find it better on more watch-throughs, it seems that type of film.

Little Miss Sunshine

I've been dying to see this for ages and finally got it on dvd. Sat and watched it last night and it's perfection. Can't think of anyone in it who doesn't perform fantastically and Steve Carrell gives a fantastic showing in a role he's not that associated with. Despite almost everything in the film going tits up it's still a feel-good comedy. Brilliant.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine: I have mixed emotions about this. The plot wasn't brilliant and I really found myself struggling to care about the Wolverine character, but the film was saved by some great action sequences and the awesome, yet brief, presence of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. I also enjoyed Gambit and I liked how they seemed to enter further into the fantasy element of the comic book movie genre as a lot of these movies try to fit themselves in the real world to their own detriment.

I really hope the rumoured Deadpool movie happens as the brief time he was in this movie made me want more and in a lot of ways made the whole Wolverine film worth it.

Completely out of my hands, was this, but I had to watch Marley & Me yesterday. What an absolute abortion. Probably the worst film I've seen this year, if not the last few years. Not only is she fit, but I think Jennifer Aniston is pretty underrated as an actor, and yet neither of these two qualities were able to save this pile of shit. I hate Owen Wilson's stupid serious voice that makes him sound like a deaf guy with a snarl, and that fucking dog was doing my nut in. I'd have had it shot much earlier. I never ever want to see so much as a minute of this film ever again. Completely turd.

• Paid Members

That is the best description of Owen Wilson's serious "emotional scene" voice I've read so far. Well done sir. Marley and Me actually looked so bad in trailers that it hasn't made my list of romcoms. However, I am now curious to see it because your comments are so very damning. "Serving Sara" did such a great job of raising the bar for shitness that I feel the rest of the competition deserves a fair shout.

I actually think Jennifer Aniston's attractiveness is vastly overrated though. She wouldn't make my top 100 lady celebrity list.

That is the best description of Owen Wilson's serious "emotional scene" voice I've read so far. Well done sir. Marley and Me actually looked so bad in trailers that it hasn't made my list of romcoms. However, I am now curious to see it because your comments are so very damning. "Serving Sara" did such a great job of raising the bar for shitness that I feel the rest of the competition deserves a fair shout.

I actually think Jennifer Aniston's attractiveness is vastly overrated though. She wouldn't make my top 100 lady celebrity list.

I enjoy romcoms as well, they're my favourite waste of time films, so I have quite a high threshold for what annoys me about them. I can't recommend it, as such, but I'd enjoy sharing debate on it, I disliked it that much. I suppose I'd rather dislike a film that be indifferent to it.

Forgot to post in my Marley rage, but also watched The Ex, a nothing romcom with Zach Twat from Scrubs, Amanda Peet and Jason Bateman. It's a rudderless, spineless effort with very little worth remembering, but Jason Batemen was excellent, I mean, a complete dick, and really deserved better from the director for his performance. The whole film just felt like a waste of everybody's time. Paul Rudd's turn as a dickhead boss was a pleasant surprise, but other that, it's just not worth it.

• Paid Members

100 gives quite a lot of scope. I don't think I could name 100 celebrities I find more attractive than her. I might not even be able to name 100 celebrities I find attractive... Maybe we should do a list once the embargo on Top 50's has been lifted.

As part of our ongoing efforts to watch all the John Hughes classics, combined with some pretty bad hangovers, we watched Uncle Buck yesterday morning. First things I noticed was how cheaply made it looked. A lot of amateurish camera effects. That aside, the story is still perfect with an awesome balance of comedy and heartwarming moments. The most terrifying thing though - the film's 20 years this year. I remember watching it when I was a kid and whilst that would have been in the early 90's it still doesn't seem that long ago. My housemate slept with someone born in 1991 the other day :cry:

Edited by elegia

I watched No Country for Old Men yesterday and was disappointed. It was ok until the main guy got killed, then went rapidly down hill from there. I'm still somewhat baffled by the end. Avoid this movie at all costs! *

Watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop the other day and found it hilarious. Light hearted funny movie. ****

• Paid Members
I watched No Country for Old Men yesterday and was disappointed. It was ok until the main guy got killed, then went rapidly down hill from there. I'm still somewhat baffled by the end. Avoid this movie at all costs! *

:laugh:

• Paid Members

I presume that was a comedy review. No one should avoid that film because it is quite, quite wonderful. Javier Bardem is one of the scariest men I've seen on screen since I can remember.

Anyway, the Aniston thing...

*Flexes Knuckles*

I won't be taking part in that list if it happens because my top 10 is impossible to choose. However, I will attempt to name the first 100 famous ladies who spring to mind I would rather violate than Jennifer Aniston:

Sandra Bullock

Aria Giovanni

Kelly Brook

Dita Von Teese

Famke Janssen

Isla Fisher

Kristen Bell

Eliza Dushku

Amy Acker

Georgie Thompson

Kirsty Gallacher

Stacy Keibler

Gwen Stefani

Holly Vallance

Holly Willougby

Zoe Lister

Melanie Blatt

Jessica Alba

Brittany Murphy

Nikki Reed

Rachel Bilson

Heather Graham

Nicole Scherzinger

Neve Campbell

Naomi Watts

Denise Richards

Rachel Weisz

Liv Tyler

Alicia Silverstone

Hayden Panettiere

Lily Allen

Kate Winslet

Anne Hathaway

Lacey Chabert

Mila Kunis

Tina Fey

ANna Kournikova

Eva Mendes

Katherine Heigl

Amber Heard

Megan Fox

Nadine Coyle

Hilary Duff

Rachel McAdams

Frieda Pinto

Natalie Portman

Mandy Moore

Brody Dalle

Caitlin Stasey

Lindsay Lohan

Rose McGowan

Angelina Jolie

Cheryl Cole

Salma Hayek

Jennifer Love Hewitt

Scarlett Johansson

Ana Ortiz

Nadine Velasquez

Rachel Stevens

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Serena Williams

Cassie

Shannon Lucio

Carly Pope

Leslie Bibb

Talisa Soto

Nikki Griffin

Amanda Righetti

Evan Rachel Wood

Nora Zehetner

Emilie De Ravin

Elisha Cuthbert

Jennifer Garner

Maggie Grace

Kou Shibasaki

Lacey Turner

Ali Bastian

Jennifer Metcalfe

Loui Batley

Lucy Pinder

Maria Sharapova

Amanda Peet

Lucy Liu

Drew Barrymoore

Aishwarya Rai

Gillian Anderson

Estella Warren

Heidi Klum

Jessica Biel

Shakira

Vanessa Hudgens

Billie Piper

Lisa Snowdon

Missy Peregrym

Penelope Cruz

Amanda Seyfried

Lizzy Caplan

Kate Beckinsale

Julie Benz

Charisma Carpenter

Anna Paquin, Millie Clode, Michelle Rodriquez, Courtney Cox, Susie Dent, Nicola Roberts... I could go on.

I did my best to leave out WWE/ex-wrestling personalities and the like where possible but I couldn't leave Keibler out. I have many more, but they're 100 off the top. No, I don't sit on the Superiorpics forums all day getting my fapfapfap on, I just have a habit of remembering names and faces, particularly those of hot females what I seen on telly.

• Paid Members
My housemate slept with someone born in 1991 the other day :cry:

Hey, I was close to nailing a girl born in 1990 last night, but unfortunately forgot that younger people recover more quickly from a single Rohypnol.