DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rage against the wwe

American Dad!

My god. I just love it. and I've also been enjoying Family Guy Seasons 3 and 4 ~ :love:

RATWWE.

This weekend I watched Goodfellas and Scarface for the very first time. Goodfellas was excellent but I really don't understand why Scarface is such a highly rated film, it looked dated, the accents were terrible and the whole story was just too implausible for words. Cutting someone to pieces with a chainsaw, in a block of flats full of people, using only a TV to drown out the noise? Riiight. I'd really like someone to explain exactly why that film is supposed to be so great, because I really didn't 'get it' at all.

Four Brothers - Decent action flick, good soundtrack, as good as expected considering the bloke from Outkast is in it. 7/10Memories - Three short films from some of the best anime directors ever. The second film 'Stink Bomb' was the standout for me. 8/10Born To Fight - Typical Thai movie, lots of kung fu and bad acting 7/10

I agree about Scarface, Vito. Horribly overrated. I reckon a lot of the gangster movies are overrated. There's been some great romance films, but they will never get the critical acclaim that gangster movies receive because it's cooler to rave about Donnie Brasco than Amelie, for example.

Amelie is actually a very good movie though. Not really into Scarface. I think it's a good movie, but not much more than that. I liked Al Pacino's performance in the movie.

Syriana

Pretty good movie, but there was quite a lot happening, and there were actually points where I was a bit lost, but when they started putting everything together at the end, I started to get what was going on. Georgle Clooney has gotten a lot of credit for his role in the movie, but Matt Damon shone above him here.

"Made".I ws a little disappointed with Swingers after I had heard it was a really great comedy but I preferred "Made" (with Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn playing almost identical characters in both films) totally.Good film, but I wouldn't have paid any more than I did for the dvd (

• Moderators

"Made".I ws a little disappointed with Swingers after I had heard it was a really great comedy but I preferred "Made" (with Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn playing almost identical characters in both films) totally.Good film, but I wouldn't have paid any more than I did for the dvd (

Come off it... I've heard plenty of people rave about Amelie. And whilst Scarface is overrated, plenty of gangster movies really are just that damn good.

Ok, Amelie was a bad example. You get the point though? Gangster movies have this aura of greatness attached to them that people feel they mustn't question. The Godfather is often named best film of all time. Is it, bollocks! The greatest film of all time should be something that has wide appeal. Something like It's A Wondeful Life. The Godfather is very long, and dark. A lot of people I've spoken to have said they found it boring. However, the critics spunk all over it.I watch loads of films, mainstream and obscure. I'm an educated film-watcher. That said, I enjoyed some critically slated films like American Pie but hated Oscar winners like English Patient.Films go under a process of mythification. In my opinion, a lot of the big gangster movies have profited from such mythification. I'm not saying that people don't like them, but it's easier to big them up than it is for other genres.

Ghostbusters 2

Caught this film last night, and I enjoyed it. Obviously not as classic as the first outing, but still a very strong performance from the cast, particularly Murry and Moranis. The plot is goofy and outlandish, like the first, the script is sharp and witty, like the first, and the feel good factor hits the roof, like the first. This is a good strong follow up film, that has whetted my appetite for the planned third film in the works.

8/10

American Dad! My god. I just love it. and I've also been enjoying Family Guy Seasons 3 and 4 ~ :love: RATWWE.

Someone once told me they thought American Dad was better than Family Guy, I was shocked by such a statement, what do you think?

State and MainI bought this DVD in a charity shop because the cast looked pretty good (Alec Baldwin, Sarah Jessica Parker,William H Macy etc, etc) and it had got good reviews from non-obscure magazines/websites.And although i was very tired while watching it, i enjoyed it. Its a comedy, and has plenty of funny momments in it, although non really, laugh out loud parts. The cast alll play there parts well, on the whole, and at 100mins it seemed perfectly timed.8/10