DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

When someone posts a negative review of The Aristocrats, I simply have to defend the film. It may not be for everyone, but if you like obscene, offensive adult humour, then you'll love it. Quite frankly, The Aristocrats had me in stitches.

Edited by Van_Dammer

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

When someone posts a negative review of The Aristocrats, I simply have to defend the film. It may not be for everyone, but if you like obscene, offensive adult humour, then you'll love it. Quite frankly, The Aristocrats had me in stitches.

Me too, though I did find it a touch too long - there's only so many ways you can hear it told. But on the whole it's certainly merits a 3.5 to 4 outta 5.I saw Murderball at the weekend. Wow - absolutely fanfreakingtastic. The best documentary I've seen in years, the most compelling story I've seen in film for an age and the greatest heel ever on the silver screen. Seriously, Joe Soares is a man you have to see to believe. And Mark Zupan??? Well he may just be the baddest man on the planet, and I'll bet you get Iron Mike to agree to that too.I would strongly recommend this film to everyone I know. It made me laugh, it nigh on made me cry, it made me want to play Murderball and by Christ did it make me think.

• Paid Members

Then I suggest that we start a national campaign to get this film a wider audience. It damn well deserves it!Actually, I've just talked myself into renting it again tonight.

• Moderators

I really enjoyed it (although I'd agree with MiamiVenis that it was a bit long) but I wouldn't say it had me in stiches and that everyone who loves offensive comedy would enjoy it.I would say it is best enjoyed if you are just really quite into comedy, to the extent that you're interested in getting an insight as to the way it works..I thought some of the comedians were pretty shite and didn't really make me laugh... but I didn't think that was entirely where the comedy and entertainment value came from - eg, one of my favourite bits was Bob Saget's..That said some of them were great, and really had me cracking up.

• Paid Members

I watched the Assault On Precient 13 remake tonight and it is officially the first film I've seen this year that I'll give a 0/10!

booooooo!
I'd LOVE to see someone defend that film and try to say that there is anything good and worthwhile and not toally shit in it. Go on....I fucking dare you!

• Paid Members

i dunno why like it, i just do...ive watched it several times and get a kick out of it everytime...each to his own i guess, but whatever you say aint gonna make me regret the times ive seen it, and ill watch it again cause its fucking badass!

Magnolia, I watched last night.Doesn't lose it's appeal one bit. Standout performance has to be the awesome Tom Cruise. There isn't really a BAD performance in there though, so no credit away from the rest, but Cruise was just incredible in his role, and it's rather weird seeing him in such a 'cuntish' role.The movie on the whole is just fantastic though, and easily one of my top five favourite movies of all time.

Four Rooms

A somewhat entertaining film, with an interesting idea (four interlocking stories), and which on the whole is better than many critics make it out to be. It is a hit-and-miss movie, but does get better as it goes on. The first two stories (

I heart Huckabees

This film is brillant, especially if your someone who is open minded to themselves and views of the world. Not only does the superb cast make you laugh till you snort kenco, but it also provides a point for the viewer to ponder on as well - the meaning of everything. This film is not a light comedy by any means, and a lot of people won't get it purely on it's basis on something intangible, but it is a great film none the less.

8/10

I saw 'Waiting...' on Monday night at the cinema.

Virtually the whole movie is set inside a restaurant, where you get to meet all the waiters and busboys. A few familiar faces were in there, Ryan Reynolds (Amityville Horror) and Anna Faris (Scary Movies), and i thoroughly enjoyed it. The other half didn't though.

I think this film is going to be Marmite, either you'll love it or hate it, a bit like Napolean Dynamite.

The Rise And Fall Of ECW

A very in-depth look at the history of the company, the ways in which it functioned and the struggles involved. Through watching this feature, Paul Heyman became even more God-like to me as I completely agreed with a lot of his viewpoints and, in terms of booking, he puts WWE's current writers to shame. Despite the running time of nearly three hours, The Rise And Fall Of ECW does not drag at all. I would highly recommend this tremendous documentary to those who haven't seen it...

Higher Learning

The plot concerns people of different cultures and creeds, who encounter several problems, primarily racism, when they begin university. Although the film is though-provoking and delves into some interesting and important issues, I think it could have been better. For instance, it seems overly exaggerated in some respects. Overall, though, Higher Learning is decent and features a couple of good performances, such as that of Laurence Fishburne. I also wanted to screw Jennifer Connelly endlessly.

Thriller: A Cruel Picture

This Swedish film from 1974 has been praised by Quentin Tarantino and influenced elements of Kill Bill. It's of the 'rape and revenge' genre and is the first film to be entirely banned in Sweden. Thriller is of a disturbing nature, features some graphic violence and explicit sex, but obviously isn't as extreme as some modern foreign films. Nonetheless, it certainly leaves an impression. I think Christine Lindberg's performance is brilliant and, considering the budget, the technical aspects of this film work well within the genre.

I can clearly see why Thriller is a cult film and I imagine that there are definitely split opinions on it.

Edited by Van_Dammer