Onyx2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
Sonic CD

What a poor game, and a bitterly disappointing Sonic game

Only one game for this so far. The pretty awesome Megaman 8.

Love this game. It's my favourite behind Megaman 2.

gordon-brown-450-818796933.jpg

What? I'd take Mega Man 8 over Sonic CD any day. I honestly don't get the love Sonic CD gets, it's a dull, badly controlled, mess of a game. It has rubbish boss fights, a time travel system that just turns stuff brown and instantly forgettable levels and music.

What? I'd take Mega Man 8 over Sonic CD any day.

JUMP JUMP

SLIDE SLIDE

I honestly don't get the love Sonic CD gets, it's a dull, badly controlled, mess of a game.

It's perfectly ergonomic, accommodating well the shift in emphasis from speed to navigation. The spin-dash is gimped, granted, but it's worth taking into consideration the game entered development before Sonic 2. Besides, the super peel-out, with its greater efficiency and flexibility, more than compensates.

It has rubbish boss fights,

And Sonic 1 and 2's bosses are the stuff of legend, yeah?

a time travel system that just turns stuff brown

cd_21.gif

cd_22.gif

cd_23.gif

cd_24.gif

No.

and instantly forgettable levels and music.

Sucks to be you, then. CD's soundtrack is often ranked amongst the best in gaming history. Unless you're saddled with the US version, of course.

• Paid Members
What? I'd take Mega Man 8 over Sonic CD any day.

JUMP JUMP

SLIDE SLIDE

I honestly don't get the love Sonic CD gets, it's a dull, badly controlled, mess of a game.

It's perfectly ergonomic, accommodating well the shift in emphasis from speed to navigation. The spin-dash is gimped, granted, but it's worth taking into consideration the game entered development before Sonic 2. Besides, the super peel-out, with its greater efficiency and flexibility, more than compensates.

It has rubbish boss fights,

And Sonic 1 and 2's bosses are the stuff of legend, yeah?

a time travel system that just turns stuff brown

cd_21.gif

cd_22.gif

cd_23.gif

cd_24.gif

No.

and instantly forgettable levels and music.

Sucks to be you, then. CD's soundtrack is often ranked amongst the best in gaming history. Unless you're saddled with the US version, of course.

The boarding bits on Megaman are annoying, but they only take up 2 parts of the entire game and last about 30 seconds. I could do without them but they don't ruin the game for me.

The ruined spin dash is the main problem in the game for me as Sonic games are known for the spin dash and the ability it gives you to get to places. It'd be like if they made a Mario game where he couldn't jump properly.

I'd say a lot of people could name

sonic%201%20green%20hill%20boss.gif

over

sonic-gems-collection-20050815041904944.jpg

Not saying the other Sonic games have epic boss fights or anything, but aside from the Metal Sonic race and the treadmill boss, Sonic Cd has awful bosses. Especially that pinball one that barely works because Sonic can't stay in a ball and bounces around uncontrollably.

951142-sonic_cd_2_super.jpg

QuartzQuadrantBadFuture.png

Palmtree_Panic_Bad.png

Metallic_Madness_Bad.png

Yep.

And I did have the US Version, I didn't think to download a Japanese ROM.

The boarding bits on Megaman are annoying, but they only take up 2 parts of the entire game and last about 30 seconds. I could do without them but they don't ruin the game for me.

Except the second is dumped right at the start of the first Wily stage, meaning one has to replay it, like, three hundred times by default. No thanks.

The ruined spin dash is the main problem in the game for me as Sonic games are known for the spin dash and the ability it gives you to get to places. It'd be like if they made a Mario game where he couldn't jump properly.

... assuming you're not a fan of Sonic 1, then?

over

That'd be since around five people owned a Mega CD.

• Paid Members

Except the second is dumped right at the start of the first Wily stage, meaning one has to replay it, like, three hundred times by default. No thanks.

... assuming you're not a fan of Sonic 1, then?

over

That'd be since around five people owned a Mega CD.

You only have to replay it if you can't do it and I don't really like Sonic 1 no, but at least it just wasn't in at all and not a half working one.

• 1 month later...

I can't find the Wii thread so this can go here instead.

I've been playing No More Heroes 2 on the Wii today, and it's a bit disappointing. I was a massive fan of the first one, but this is just more of the same only with worse graphics (it's all quite dark and most stuff looks really faded, which I'm almost sure is by design but it looks terrible stretched onto a 40 inch HD TV). They've taken out a couple of things that made the first one fun - some of the katana-related graphics are gone, so instead of seeing it fly up in the air and fall back down to impale someone when you go for a kill it just appears from out of nowhere sticking out of their dead body. While the driving parts were quite clunky in the first game, rather than fix it they've just completely removed driving in the sequel which seems like a bit of a cop-out. Instead, you choose your destination from a menu and just appear there. The jobs from the first game have been replaced by 8-bit style single screen minigames, and out of the two I've played so far I don't especially want to do either of them ever again - one was a "suck up the bugs using your hoover" Bomberman-style thing, and the other was a confusing version of Pipemania.

I've only had about an hour and a half on it so maybe things will pick up soon, but at the moment I'm genuinely half-debating whether I even want to play it for fear of tarnishing my fond memories of NMH1. It all seems half-finished, which is a massive massive shame because it should've been a total winner going by how good the first one was.

On a happier note, I had an email last night from Game to say my Mario pre-order had shipped (they said last week it would be done early "due to the high volume of pre-orders") and there was a card through the door this afternoon asking me to collect something from the sorting office, so it looks like I know how tomorrow is going to be spent!

On a happier note, I had an email last night from Game to say my Mario pre-order had shipped (they said last week it would be done early "due to the high volume of pre-orders") and there was a card through the door this afternoon asking me to collect something from the sorting office, so it looks like I know how tomorrow is going to be spent!

Yep, queueing at the sorting office! :thumbsup:

I dont know what the BIG fuss with Mario Galaxy 2?

Ive just completed the fucker, with the 71 stars outta 120. I completed it, I loved the 2D parts of the game but the 3d parts is shocking,

Id love the game if it worked. I have several issues with the game not jumping when ordered to which led to loosing a life, the camera angles suck compared to say Mario 64 or Sunshine, and mario doesnt do his spin attack when promted on some levels which really lets it down

compared to say Mario 64 or Sunshine

I was going to ask this in the other thread - have you played the first Galaxy game? Even though I doubt it's anywhere near as poor as you're saying, it would be handy to know if you're including SMG1 in your comparisons, because that's the most obvious measuring stick.

compared to say Mario 64 or Sunshine

I was going to ask this in the other thread - have you played the first Galaxy game? Even though I doubt it's anywhere near as poor as you're saying, it would be handy to know if you're including SMG1 in your comparisons, because that's the most obvious measuring stick.

Nah I havent played Number 1 yet, well not fully