The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Whatever happened to the referee Danny Davis? Anybody know?Thanks.

I believe he still owns and trains people at OVW. He was a wrestler for most of his career, part of the Nightmares tag team with Ken Wayne. He's related to one of the Bashams, I think Doug.
Wrong Danny Davis. After losing his heat as a wrestler he returned to refereeing before leaving the business. He returned in 2005 for WWA but beyond that hasnt done much.

I read recently that a few years back Kim Jong-Il used to hire popular American professional wrestlers to entertain him and his entorage, I was just wondering sinced he'd probably only hire the best who were these wrestlers?

I've never heard that before, so the only people that i can think of off the top of my head are Ric Fliar and Road warrior Hawk who wrestled in North Korea in the early/mid 1990's

I read recently that a few years back Kim Jong-Il used to hire popular American professional wrestlers to entertain him and his entorage, I was just wondering sinced he'd probably only hire the best who were these wrestlers?

Sounds like someone misunderstanding the Peace Festival shows in 1995. They were New Japan organised, but featured a number of American names like Flair and other NJ-related Americans like Scott Norton, Benoit, Malenko, Road Warrior Hawk and a couple of others.

Can anybody give me the dates of Bill Watts tenure in WCW and WWF? I know its 92/93 and late 95 but if anyone can be a little more exact that would be great.

WWF - Watts was brought in during the week running July 31 to August 6, but was not officially announced as head booker until the week of October 2 to 8. He was gone by the end of the following week, October 9 to 15.

• Paid Members

What happened to the 'I love Double Double E' guy??

Vince saw him work a match and realised he wasn't ready for the main roster. (Amusingly he also then realised everyone else who'd seen him knew this but didn't want to contradict Stephanie McMahon and Johnny Ace.)He returned to OVW where he works as Alex Kozlov. He's part of the main heel stable, Team America, the joke being that they are made up of one American, a Russian, two Mexicans and a Belgian.

Can anybody give me the dates of Bill Watts tenure in WCW and WWF? I know its 92/93 and late 95 but if anyone can be a little more exact that would be great.

WWF - Watts was brought in during the week running July 31 to August 6, but was not officially announced as head booker until the week of October 2 to 8. He was gone by the end of the following week, October 9 to 15.
Thanks mate, can anyone help with the WCW dates?

The Bob Backlund heel turn on Bret Hart in 1994 - was that role ever intended for Randy Savage?The Backlund turn seemed fairly out of the blue, as did his ascension to the top of the card after floundering for much of his comeback run (Royal Rumble aside, I can't recall even seeing him that year prior to the stuff with Bret).Savage meanwhile had blown off the Crush programme and wasn't doing a whole lot before leaving for WCW. Now I know Vince McMahon wanted Savage to act primarily as a commentator, but to me Savage snapping and returning to his 'madness' days of yore would have made a lot more sense than Backlund (though Backlund was ace in the role). Plus I think the fans would've accepted Savage as a genuine threat and adversary to Bret.Basically, does anyone know if this idea was ever touted to Savage as a carrot to keep him in the fed, only to be given to Backlund as Savage jumped ship?

I've never heard if it was attended to before for Savage, however you are right about Backlund. He'd mainly been getting used as a no-namer/ jobber before his match with Bret Hart. I recall seeing him on Challenge quite alot. They'd acknowledge that it was Backlund like but he didn't seem like a "Superstar" at the time. I think they used to put him in tag matches quite alot with a no namer. I remember Virgil being in a similar role at the time.Then suddenly one week their was a advert for Bret Hart defending against former World Champion Bob Backlund on superstars. I thought that it was weird as I'd pretty much seen Backlund as a no namer. I can't really recall the origional match between Hart and Backlund I can just remember Backlund snapping after the match. Then he shaved his head and snapped every week and attacked people at random. Backlund was good in the role!

What happened to the 'I love Double Double E' guy??

Vince saw him work a match and realised he wasn't ready for the main roster. (Amusingly he also then realised everyone else who'd seen him knew this but didn't want to contradict Stephanie McMahon and Johnny Ace.)He returned to OVW where he works as Alex Kozlov. He's part of the main heel stable, Team America, the joke being that they are made up of one American, a Russian, two Mexicans and a Belgian.
It is actually Vladimir Kozlov, Alex works down in Mexico for CMLL. You also forgot to mention the Akbars, Ali & Omar as part of Team America.