AEW Double or Nothing 2024 - May 26th

Supremo

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Anarchy in the Arena and Stadium Stampede are the best new gimmick matches of the last ten years. The one or two nights a year where the most creative, batshit nonsense can happen. GTA or Saints Row come to life.

I honestly think that what AEW do better than anyone ever has is that kind of mad multi-man brawl all over the place. The WWE approach to TV wrestling is that nothing happens that isn't on camera, which has its obvious benefits but means they can never manage this kind of abject chaos, while Stadium Stampede and Anarchy In The Arena are both a delight for just having to constantly look all over the place because there's something insane going onĀ everywhere. It all feels so much moreĀ aliveĀ than wrestling has done in years, just perfect mayhem.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Anyway, seeing them occupy the same space here, Iā€™m reminded we havenā€™t had Danielson vs. Darby or Danielson vs Jack Perry in singles matches yet, have we? I suspect both would rule. Obviously the Double J match is the priority, but then those two are right below it.

Apropos to the sentiment if not the specific examples, this is why AEW is great. There's not been a really good buffet table for random wrestlers with different backgrounds at different stages of their careers to get paired up, since prime TNA more than ten years ago. I was reminded of this the other day on "formerly know as" Twitter when I saw clips of a match I didn't know had happened - RVD, between WWE runs and slightly past his peak but still awesome, vs Samoa Joe, post TNA Champion but pre WWE. A brilliant example of when you think "And what would that look like?" and at least in 2 minute highlight form, the answer looked to be "very fucking good indeed." Coupled with a WCW feeling of "something for everyone" when their TV is at its best... it's been excellent for keeping mainstream US wrestling more interesting through variety.

Posted (edited)

My brain is all over the place atm, so just some random thoughts on the show.Ā 

Double J was really good on the pre-show. Hope he's a permanent addition going forward.

One highlight of the show for me was Swerve's midair House Call. Beautiful.

Really enjoying mental AEW. Sure not everything lands but the majority of the time, I'm sports entertained.

Wasn't happy with Takeshita getting chumped out against Mox. Was a match I was really looking forward to but it just fell flat for me.

Like some other matches it felt more like a TV match.

Storm/Deeb turned out really good. Feels like Storm has finally balanced out the Timeless character and the actual wrestling.

I've been less down on Malakai Black than most but I give up, time to call it quits.

Overall a fun but once again overly long show that took me multiple sittings to get through.Ā 

Edited by The King Of Swing