Would someone else have made wrestling what it is if vince hadn't?

• Paid Members

Snuka did cross my mind, as he was popular, but he wasn't much of a talker, and I get the impression that, liberal as the WWF was in comparison to other promotions and indeed other entertainment organisations in general at the time, Vince was never going to push someone to main-event that wasn't white or white-adjacent in that era.

That said, had Hogan not been there, a Snuka/Savage programme back then would've been dynamite, I reckon. It would've been more about showcasing Savage and getting him into the main blue-eye position, but Snuka would've been good for that - he was a pretty effective worker, sold well, got reactions.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

The only two names I've ever seen that were to be Vince's choice in 83/84 if he didn't go with/get Hogan were Kerry Von Erich and going with Snuka. Both wouldn't have worked.

Good one there. Take Kerry out of Texas and does he draw? The NWA obviously didn't think so on a big scale.

• Paid Members

I think the NWA's issue with keeping the belt on Kerry wasn't whether or not he could draw, but whether he would be reliable, and, I suspect, them not wanting to give Fritz the kind of power and leverage he would have in the NWA if his boy was a long-term World Champion.

I really don’t think that wrestling would’ve been what it was, at least internationally without Vince McMahon. Other promotions have tried but haven’t had the same level of popularity as WWE. Even when WCW was America’s number one promotion for those 83 weeks, they were still seen as very much a US based wrestling promotion with limited TV deals and touring outside the USA. WWE toured more often internationally and generally had the better overseas TV deals, even when they were struggling financially in the 90s. So no, I don’t think anyone else would’ve made wrestling what it was if Vince hadn’t.

I don't think wrestling would be anywhere near as hig and popular without that Hogan/McMahon combo

Vinces work ethic, ego and probably insanity to go where Angels feared to tread business wise and Hogan for looking like a real life comic book hero, who was a media darling and talk you into the seats!

It was the perfect storm combo and enabled them to capture the mtv/ppv mainstream market where wrestling was no longer seen as the 'dirty, dark venue, redneck enjoyed freakshow'

In a perverse way I liken it to the way darts changed in the 90s. The pdc going the showbiz route whereas bdo still tried to retain its original image. 

It was a helluva gamble and paid off and sadly (as a darts player who loved the book  amateur side of it) the BDO just looked more and more outdated till it died.