FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The Vito storyline is similar to the Jackie Jr. story in that both could have been quite tragic and sad if the actors playing them weren't so unlikable. Especially Jackie Jr. The story of the lost son of a mafia boss trying to follow in his footsteps but only finding failure, pain and death should have been heart wrenching but I was begging for them to whack that annoying twat asap. After he dies Junior Soprano sums him up when he says he was always a dumb kid who once almost drowned in a puddle. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I loved when Jackie Jr tried to pipe up and talk big boy shit and Junior looked around going “who’s that speaking? Is somebody speaking?” Just cut him down beautifully. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The Vito storyline is similar to the Jackie Jr. story in that both could have been quite tragic and sad if the actors playing them weren't so unlikable. Especially Jackie Jr. The story of the lost son of a mafia boss trying to follow in his footsteps but only finding failure, pain and death should have been heart wrenching but I was begging for them to whack that annoying twat asap. After he dies Junior Soprano sums him up when he says he was always a dumb kid who once almost drowned in a puddle. 

I see that perspective, but I always sort of viewed it as this being the point of the characters, much in the same way of almost everyone in it - Vito would be tragic, except that he's a violent, murdering, intimidating criminal, and whether or not he's able to live his truth as a gay man doesn't really have any bearing on it; even if the Camorra weren't so virulently homophobic, he'd still have headed down the path he went.

As for Jackie Jr., I sort of saw him as similar to Richie - both entitled to thinking they were going to "claim what's theirs" because they were from the Aprile family. Essentially, I saw Jackie Jr. as what would happen if AJ decided he wanted to follow in his dad's footsteps. He would've been tragic if he'd tried to keep going down the path he was at the beginning, but ended up dragged down through no fault of his own, rather than him choosing it.

Always felt JT Dolan was a bit more like that - actually quite tragic when you think about it, but he was also a bit unlikable, so it didn't feel like the horrific act it should've been when Chris killed him just because.

• Paid Members

The Daddy’s Little Girl song at the wedding is still brutal the second time round. Then as I was typing this the Bride Cuts The Cake song started playing. What a nightmare this wedding is.

My estimation of John Sacrimoni as a man just fuckin plummeted.

• Paid Members

Carmine dying really messed up the NY family. Johnny Sack was a good number two but was a terrible boss. Uncle Philly likewise, he was far too psychotic to last long term as boss. Everyone left over was either a violent nutjob like Butch or a total idiot like Little Carmine.

One thing I don't recall the show explaining properly was the NY family. In real life NY has five families (and they mention it in the show) so never really understood if the family in the show represented the whole of the NY mafia or if they were just one of the Five Families. 

• Members
24 minutes ago, FLips said:

My estimation of John Sacrimoni as a man just fuckin plummeted.

giphy.gif.137d8cfe2cc83959db1fc809c53fd26e.gif

I forgot how funny his face was all covered in snow when the feds came to get him.

Back to Vito, he is a dreadful character. I'd forgotten just how much of a nob he was until Tony got shot. 

"Have a cookie you're delirious" is a brilliant reply from Paulie to him.

I'd also forgotten how many people flipped in the latter series.

And while I'm here, Agent Sanseverino is well up there with the top tier women of The Sopranos for me.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Back to Vito, he is a dreadful character. I'd forgotten just how much of a nob he was until Tony got shot.

It's a bit jarring how he all of a sudden becomes a top capo, Tony's best earner and potential future boss pretty much out of nowhere when he's basically only been used as a joke character until that point. Also the most unrealistic bit of the show when he sneaks up out of literally nowhere to kill Jackie Jr. Like you couldn't hear him coming!