Bellator 288 - Nemkov vs. Anderson 2 (18th Nov. 2022)

Egg Shen

Who Leaves with the belts?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Right, no one gave a toss about 288. I actually watched it and couldn't even be arsed to comment on it, but 289 has way more stakes, this is a good one.

original-1667412590.thumb.jpg.31445176b6dc07675dfa05035abf57ce.jpg

Main Card:

Vadim Nemkov vs. Corey Anderson - Light Heavyweight Title

Patricky Pitbull vs. Usman Nurmagamedov - Lightweight Title

Daniel Weichel vs. Timur Khizriev

Tyrell Fortune vs. Daniel James

Roman Faraldo vs. Levan Chokeli

Prelims:

Jaylon Bates vs. Jornel Lugo

Archie Colgan vs. Jesse Hannam

Lucas Brennan vs. Nick Talavera

Sullivan Cauley vs. Jay Radick

Jordan Newman vs. Jayden Taulker

Laird Anderson vs. Rob Fenicle

Isaiah Hokit vs. Matias Nader

Wladamir Gouvea vs. Kory Moegenburg 

Otto Rodrigues vs. Khasan Askhabov

Imamshafi Aliev vs. Sean Fallon

Killys Mota vs. Jairo Pacheco

Prelims are what they are, but that main card is solid.

There's a sense of inevitability that there'll be 2 title changes in those two title fights. Corey Anderson was well on his way to beating Nemkov in their first fight. A cut halted the bout and it ended a no contest, but if Nemkov doesn't come in with an improved gameplan you have to expect Anderson to win both the title and $1 million Gran Prix prize here.

Then there's Pitbull against Nurmagamedov. Pitbull's had abit of a unlikely reign as Champion, he's lost 2 of his last 3 fights and hasn't fought twice in Bellator in 3 years. He's fighting arguably the best prospect in MMA. Usman Nurmagamedov has been flawless in Bellator. He goes under the radar amongst the Dagestani prosepects due to what's going on in the UFC, but the talk is always that Usman is best of the lot. I'd imagine he'll be a big favorite going in, and I expect him to win. Proper changing of the guard moment.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Bellator has really sank very low on the importance/interest list this last year or two. I'd put it behind the PFL for #2 company in the U.S right now. 

The Co-main event's idea of sacking off Fedor/Bader in favour of Fedor/Anderson Silva seems like a decent one to me, and then putting some people on below that who you want to highlight. Very little that Bellator are doing these days seems to get much traction. 

The recent big card they had with Pitbull defending the belt, Pico fighting, AJ McKee fighting, that one looked good and had a good weekend I believe. I think it was opposite either a weak UFC or else no UFC show that weekend. I wanted to watch it and not the UFC that weekend. Then iPlayer didn't have it before I would hear the results. Which is a problem - because it turns out it was a stinker, so there was no way I was going back at that point. 

• Paid Members

don't disagree, its become pretty formulaic. Don't get me wrong, there are bright spots and every now and then they hit it out of the park, but its a weird time for Bellator...and yeah, i now prefer the PFL to Bellator.

Just take Josh Thomson (arguably the most unlikeable media personality in MMA) complaining on youtube a week or so back that MMA journalists weren't doing enough to promote Bellator fights, it felt very desperate. It backfired and he was widely critisized for it. Not a good look.

A good guage is that a friend of mine who watches every UFC and will watch and enjoy Cage Warriors can't bring himself to watch Bellator, he's tried it and just hates the presentation.

Still, this Saturdays show is pretty good 😄

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah this looks decent on paper. Although I can’t give a full thumbs up to any card headlined by Mr Beastin 25/8. I hope Nemkov chins him but Anderson will probably just to snuff out any chance of fun in Bellator’s 205 division. Co-main event is where it’s at for me but even then, I’ve never been as into Patricky as his brother.

You got your Nurmagomedovs mixed up though Egg. Thought I was losing my marbles or I’d missed the news of Umar jumping ship to Bellator for a second, it’s Usman Nurmagomedov on this one. 

D08FFA91-5A28-4A10-BC24-905A2E8A6CB0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Well, I completely underestimated Nemkov here. I really thought Anderson was going to do a number on him but Nemkov completely shut him down. 0 for 15 in takedowns is a crazy number against a wrestler as good as Anderson. Considering Anderson was dominating the first fight this was some performance from Nemkov to come back and do this. Guess that talk of if he is actually the best 205lb'er in the world will start again now.

The co-main event was as expected but didn't really deliver in cage. Pitbull simply had nothing for Nurmagamedov. Bit of a masterclass in fight IQ and distance management, Usman looks the real deal. World Champion now and I don't know if the guy has ever lost a round.

Great debut of sorts for Daniel James too (fought once in Bellator in 2014). Guy came in as a bit of an opponent for Tyrell Fortune but won a big upset by TKO and cut a great babyface promo. He's 40 years old but consider me on board for whatever Bellator have in store for him, good stuff.

• Paid Members

Only caught the top two fights but they weren’t great to watch. They were strong performances from Nemkov and Nurmagomedov more than they were good fights. I’m happy with it though. Always glad to see Corey Anderson lose and it’s gonna be interesting to watch Usman Nurmagomedov’s progression. I know that sounds odd when he’s already champion but it really feels like this is just the start for him.

Oh and…

834BC783-9F08-49FE-9225-71A0E9A0C3A5.jpeg

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Only caught the top two fights but they weren’t great to watch. They were strong performances from Nemkov and Nurmagomedov more than they were good fights. I’m happy with it though. Always glad to see Corey Anderson lose and it’s gonna be interesting to watch Usman Nurmagomedov’s progression. I know that sounds odd when he’s already champion but it really feels like this is just the start for him.

yeah, Nurmagamedov has reached the mountain top as a rookie really, I think he's only 23 years old. Could be the start of a very special career.

The February card on CBS is a Fedor/Bader, Nemkov/Romero doubleheader, give me all of that.

• Paid Members

Was looking at some stats to see how Usman compares with Khabib - he's now at 16-0, which is where Khabib was at just before he signed with the UFC. 

Seeing as Umar has a similar record, I think it's probably safe to say the Nurmagomedovs are the most successful dynasty in MMA.

• Egg Shen changed the title to Bellator 288 - Nemkov vs. Anderson 2 (18th Nov. 2022)