From Software Games

Onyx2

The only Red Rooster it’s acceptable to like* has returned. Welcome back dude.

Yesterday I finished the DLC. I’m loathe to call it a DLC, based on the size of the map, the length of time it took me to finish it and the sheer scope of what they achieved. It’s Elden Ring 2 by any other name. I loved it from start to finish. However…that final boss. What an absolute joke. I tried it with my mimic tear. No luck. Then my mimic tear plus 2 summonable NPCs. No luck. Then I summoned other players. Lots of times. After about 20+ attempts, the boss was dead. I know there’s already videos of people soloing the boss with no hits and avoiding every attack. But as far I’m concerned, most of that bosses attacks were unavoidable and the non-stop combos were just unfair. If left just to me, I doubt I ever would have beaten it. Maybe after a hundred attempts, I would have learnt every one of their moves and how to counter. But it just felt needlessly bullshit. Ah well. It’s done. 

Some truly annoying enemies in the game. Most of the brick shithouse knights. The orange orb heads in Abyssal Woods (still no clue how to beat them). Curse Blades, I think they’re called, super fast and relentless. And finally, those red pest things that can shoot webs around corners with Hawkeye accuracy. 

Final death count was somewhere around 175. I need a far more relaxing game to move on to now. Have Fromsoft made a nice platform game akin to Mario? They should.

*Gimmick or no gimmick, Terry Taylor is the drizzling shits.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Some truly annoying enemies in the game. Most of the brick shithouse knights. The orange orb heads in Abyssal Woods (still no clue how to beat them). Curse Blades, I think they’re called, super fast and relentless. And finally, those red pest things that can shoot webs around corners with Hawkeye accuracy. 

That's actually what has put me off slightly - I've seen clips of an enemy where it looks like you're resigned to being hit, and that dodging was all but impossible. Did you experience that at all?

6 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

That's actually what has put me off slightly - I've seen clips of an enemy where it looks like you're resigned to being hit, and that dodging was all but impossible. Did you experience that at all?

They’re just run of the mill enemies, the ones I mentioned. You don’t have to fight them. It’s usually possible to just run past them. But I like to kill everything I see in the game, just to say I did it. Sorry, turtles. Out of the ones above, I’d say the only ones that have attacks that can’t be avoided are the Pests. They were in the base game. Insect like shaman things that shoot webs that lock on to you. They break your poise super quickly and then you’re dead in 2 shots. There probably is a counter. I chose to snipe them from far, far away with a bow. 

I wouldn’t let it put you off playing. The game is visually spectacular, with some fantastic boss battles. And it’s MASSIVE. 

27 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I wouldn’t let it put you off playing. The game is visually spectacular, with some fantastic boss battles. And it’s MASSIVE. 

I played the original on Steam Deck, I'll need to look into how the DLC runs on that (hopefully it'll be fine), but an endorsement from you goes a long way for me!

I've started a little indie game called Lunacid and instead of being yet another Souls-clone it's inspired by even older FromSoft games like King's Field and Shadow Tower, it's a gorgeous little thing that manages to nail the PSX aesthetic. Not very difficult either.

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

An acquaintance of mine in Texas has come up with a crude way of doing a series of polls across social media to decide the best boss in a From game, using a huge tournament bracket. Thought some people here who are bigger fans of soulslikes than I am might be interested in lending their likes to their fave boss fights.