Evolution of the business

IronSheik

For me a big issue withthis grey area or let's just call it crap booking era has been a lack of happy endings/ the happy endings being shat on immediately. 

One thing I like about AEW is how they've had numerous clear happy endings to story lines over the last coupe of years that make you feel satisfied as a fan. 

All the rematches and Brock Lesnar belt time has caused that to not be the case in wwe for a long time. Countless times the wrong person has won a match or the feud just fizzled out which creates those shades of grey as the supposed heros never truly win or take a step up. Even Big E that big charismatic bastard deserved a proper chase and a bit of a win streak flattening douche bag heels non stop. But no he won through the mitb fluke, jobbed to Roman at survivors and will likely lose to Lashley so he can win the rumble /chamber and then get Drew'd at mania. The. Because people have lost faith in him he'll be back to the 3rd wheel in the New Day by Summerslam 2022

15 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

WWE are posting record profits and that’s the mark of success. Business isn’t on the decline, it’s in the ascendancy. The thing that’s evolved in wrestling is Vince, that’s why he’s the most successful promoter in history. 

If you snip out the Saudi deal I wonder how much they would be making? 

The ratings and the merch sales tell a different story even though they are posting record profits - is that just because of inflation etc or is it a like-for-like increase?

I believe that just because Fox et al are willing to flit away their money, the ratings are still saying that people are not tuning in. I am astounded at how the broadcasters are still buying into the WWE as some massive investment. 

I will always see mainstream interest and ratings as the mark of success. 20 years ago everyone knew about wrestling - I could hear people talking about it a lot of the time and merchandise was everywhere. Nowadays if you ask the average person who Seth Rollins or Drew McIntyre are they would look at you blankly.  Even non-fans knew who the Rock, Hogan and Austin were. 

But if you are basing it on profits then fine. Though that won't be sustainable in the longer term unless ratings improve. 

I would say that WWE is so far removed from an actual wrestling program that the only thing that resembles wrestling is that its held in a ring (and that isn't always the case). All that stupid shit with the Fiend etc was laughable. Evolution means to improve and develop - that was in no way evolution.

Edited by Michael_3165

28 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I will always see mainstream interest and ratings as the mark of success.

Might explain why you aren’t a successful promoter. Profit is the only signifier in business. 

Maybe I’m being too literal. If by “The business” you mean the storylines etc then that’s all for debate as it’s all opinion. But if it’s about what makes a successful business, it’s turning a profit. 

As I speculated before. WWE has evolved, we haven’t. Most people on here are a season behind and that’s always been the case. When the rock and wrestling era was king, territory guys were “Not my wrestling”. When Attitude Era was king, rock and wrestling guys were “Not my wrestling”. During the PC era, attitude guys were “Not my wrestling”. Now whatever it’s called they’re doing now, we’re all “Not my wrestling”. 

That’s where AEW capitalise, they cater for the last generation and not this generation. I also have a theory that WWE have a notion of higher turnaround of fans. They know they aren’t getting as many lifers like they used to because of the way content is consumed. So they’re happy to have someone’s attention for a few years before they get bored and the next lot of fans replace them, who will be bored in a year or two and the next set of fans will replace them. 

They also have the advantage of the network where people who say they hate modern WWE will still pay for the privilege of watching “Their” wrestling. But dress it up all you want, you’re helping Vince get those profits. 

WWE are always ahead of the curve, they’re the ones evolving the business, they’re the ones conjuring up revenue streams and new markets. Vince absolutely knows what he’s doing, he is the evolution of the business and has been for decades.