Hell in a Cell 2021

Supremo

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I was trying to figure it out, and it really looks like the latter, as someone's hand visibly pushes half a broken table out from under the ring. A table had been set up earlier in the match, I can't remember if anyone went through that one or not. 

Seeing a few takes on it here and on Reddit, I believe it was a table on/over a crash mat, which was then pulled under the ring - but it pulled parts of the table with it, so they pushed it back into place. One of the reasons it's so difficult to tell is that they were avoiding showing the crash mat so much that they didn't catch him going through the table. It's either that or an intentional call to not show Drew going through the table, so you get that 'thrown out of the camera frame' moment instead.

Either way, we now have a situation where a wrestler took an actual bump through a table in front of no audience or cameras, so doing it for absolutely no good reason.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm not one to normally play the "if AEW do it vs. if WWE do it" card, but there were an awful lot of people shitting on Chris Jericho bumping on to a crash pad in a cage match who have kept quiet about this one that I find far more egregious. 

Are you talking about the "Doll-POV" shot or the phantom table bump here? Because if it's the latter I'm not entirely sure that is a fair comparison.

The production here isn't brilliant because otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation, but the production on the Jericho bump was god-awful and made minimal attempt to creatively mask the crash mat in front of an audience in the arena.  I suspect that is a question of inexperience that AEW will quickly overcome (much like the issues with the exploding barb wire match), and while WWE should be able to achieve this pretty slickly with their resources and experience, I honestly don't see what the issue is with using the lack of an audience to your advantage to minimise risk? 

I should underline I'm glad in both cases that they are using protective equipment for these stunts, and the health and safety of those performers should be paramount. 

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I think a fractional shot of a stagehand moving something into/out of place (which is still definitely poor production work) doesn't feel comparable to a man being thrown off a cage and onto the "ramp" that is clearly a crash mat, especially when the illusion is being attempted in a building with an audience AND the announcers are selling it like the wrestler in question had been murdered live on PPV. They really don't feel like the same thing to me. 

Obviously if it's the former you meant, ignore all that, as I largely agree on the Alexa stuff and the general silliness of it.  

I was front row at Blood and Guts and the Jericho thing wasn't nearly as bad as it came off on TV. It happened the opposite side of the cage so the crowd didn't have a great view of it but it got a good reaction live.

The Drew thing was awful for a number of reasons, happy to get his back sliced up (only for it to end with a rollup?!) but not take a soft table bump?

Your assuming that he has any sort of say in it.

Drew (and you can probably say this about most of the people there) strikes me as someone who just does what he’s told. If some tells him to go out there and bruise himself up to sell a beating, he goes and does it. If someone tells him he’s taking a bump to a crashmat, he’s taking a bump to a crashmat.

He may be the top babyface right now, but that doesn’t mean that he has the clout that a Roman Reigns or a Brock Lesnar has. If Drews told he’s doing something, he’s fucking doing it

Edited by WyattSheepMask

If he has had to go through the table anyway just with crash mat underneath (I really have no problem with crash mats, I remember TNA getting stick for using one with Sting doing a scorpion death drop on Roode but I still like the spot), why not just do a table spot in the ring and film it rather than to the outside at more height? Surely there is no wow factor for anybody watching at home. 

I also look at it and see the arm putting stuff back out and realise I enjoy wrestlecrap like that. There is plenty of good in ring action at various promotions on an almost daily basis, a bit of a fuck up is always great fun when you see it.