• Paid Members

Chimaev's hype is on a whole other level to what Walker's ever was though. This isnt a standard prospect situation. 

Im not saying it wont all go tits up for Chimaev once he steps up, but simple fact is, its the most high profile fight in the division for Wonderboy to take unless he can secure a fight with somebody ranked above him, by some distance.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll wait and see how he does against someone of note. It wasn't that long ago we were all creaming ourselves at the idea of Johnny Walker being the guy to challenge Jon Jones. If he does the sam

Luque is a great shout. Him and his mental iron chin. I'd also love to see how he fares against a ridiculously intelligent fighter and striker like Wonderboy. He's a grand gatekeeper for the 170 div

@David one of your picks has piped up.  I’m not a big fan of watching Magny fight but I’d be interested in this. You don’t just blow through Magny so if Chimaev did to him what he’s been doi

Posted Images

• Paid Members

Magny does seem like a good fit for Chimaev's next opponent, though. He is very much a gatekeeper - if you can't beat him, you probably don't belong with the elites. I'm surprised nobody in the top 5 has fought him yet. There are always going to be people nobody looks good against, even in victory; Magny is effective enough that it should be considered a step up to face him, regardless of whether or not it would be a good fight. There needs to be a balance struck between making entertaining fights and making meritocratic ones, because without the former the latter won't have funding, and without the latter, the former won't have legitimacy as a sport.

39 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Chimaev's hype is on a whole other level to what Walker's ever was though. This isnt a standard prospect situation. 

Im not saying it wont all go tits up for Chimaev once he steps up, but simple fact is, its the most high profile fight in the division for Wonderboy to take unless he can secure a fight with somebody ranked above him, by some distance.

Surely if Thompson isn't facing Edwards then it should be Magny getting that fight against Thompson rather than Chimaev?

Magny is currently ranked #10 and is on a three-fight streak with wins over actual names like Lawler, Rocco Martin and Li Jingliang. Or do we just shoot Chimaev past the bottom half of the top ten because he's done well in blasting some chumps?

• Paid Members

in an ideal world no, but in the UFC's world, that's exactly what you do. 

If you look at it from Wonderboy's perspective and you think he has nothing to gain from a fight with Chimaev - massive hype, 5 round main event, what does he have to gain from a fight with Magny? - no hype, probably a 3 round co-main event/main card fight?

It's not really a fair sport, we all know this, its just how it works. Fact is, Khamzat Chimaev has way more notoriety and clout after 3 UFC fights than Magny has gained after 23 fights in the promotion.

5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

in an ideal world no, but in the UFC's world, that's exactly what you do. 

If you look at it from Wonderboy's perspective and you think he has nothing to gain from a fight with Chimaev - massive hype, 5 round main event, what does he have to gain from a fight with Magny? - no hype, probably a 3 round co-main event/main card fight?

It's not really a fair sport, we all know this, its just how it works. Fact is, Khamzat Chimaev has way more notoriety and clout after 3 UFC fights than Magny has gained after 23 fights in the promotion.

I guess we'll wait and see, but Chimaev hasn't overly impressed me as yet. He's fought no one.

• 2 weeks later...